Prefer to make friends with people your own age?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 3:18 am

As I have had few friends in my life, it's really hard to talk about my "friends". I'd love to be friends with people of any age if they are nice.

Having said that, I've always felt quite uncomfortable with people around my age because I feel they expect me to behave in the same way as they do. Older people don't seem to have such expectations and also are more mature and accepting. So I'd say older people might be easier for me to be friends with. It's a bit like that your odd behavior is tolerated/accepted if you are a foreigner. I have to add that I don't like bossy older people who believe in the age hierarchy where younger people should be their servants or something.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 4:44 am

I prefer older people too. It seems that teenage girls and girls in their 20's have this particular accent, whereas I talk more like an older woman. I think that is what older people like about me.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 9:06 am

I prefer people who are older than me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 10:06 am

I used to prefer older people---when I was younger.

Now, it seems as if I prefer people younger than me, or my age.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 11:23 am

I've always had friends who were alot older than me----I thought it was cuz I grew-up around people so much older than I (my adoptive parents were in their mid-forties, when they took me----and this was at a time when people became parents at 20). When I was in college, I did have a couple of friends who were my age, but I also had several friends who were professors, 1 assistant dean, administrators, secretaries, etc. Almost every person I've ever dated was, at least, 10 years older than me. Now that I am the older one, I still relate to people who are older.

a_dork
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2014, 2:26 pm

Although I do have two friends in my age group, I prefer older folks. They seem less judgmental of my quirks and usually have more knowledge on my subjects of interest. In high school, I had a pleasant friendship with my chemistry teacher (now that I think of it, she may have been an aspie as well). She was the one who told me that I demonstrated signs of intelligence and that my future would be bright. I still consider that the most uplifting thing anyone has ever told me.

― L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

DanDaMan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2014, 2:34 pm

I find it hard to get along with people my own age and always have. I don't know why, maybe because i compare myself to them or something. I have always found i get on better with older people.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 2:57 pm

Not much towards most people.