Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 11:30 pm

I seem to have fallen into a pattern.

I come out of the shower in the mornings and am doing that quiet whistling thing - just blowing the different notes without making the whistle. Before starting class, I often whistle. Sometimes I'll hum a tune, and once in a while I may sing a few words. I find myself doing this at odd times during the day.

Occasionally it will start after hearing a tune, but mostly not. Sometimes I'll just wake up with it. I don't listen to a lot of music. I spend almost all car journeys with the radio off. Sometimes I realize I'm doing it and become very self-conscious. Other times I just go with it. Stand beside me and there's a good chance you'll find me doing that whistle thing without whistling.

It bothers me that I do this often, yet it also seems to keep me in step with any process I might be doing, like getting dressed or preparing a class.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2014, 12:31 am

the few times I have been approximate of happy, I have whistled, hummed and sang.

Soham
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2014, 10:05 pm

I've never been one to sing, but I do find my self whistling and humming quite often when ever I'm in a "good" mood . No particular tune or song, just various consistent frequencies, or short melodic like things.

I did this a lot as a kid, I would sit and humm various frequencies. It would feel very good in my body and would calm the mind, and would "shift" my mind in a way (I have always been fascinated with things that cause changes/shifts in consciousness) it was almost like a meditation of sorts for me (even though I had not a clue what meditation was at the time). I went through a period of not doing this, or whistling much, for a while. I've noticed my self doing this more often over the past few years though.

It doesn't bother me at all...I don't know what word to use to describe how it makes me feel, but it's a good feeling that seems to tickle other feelings/senses other than just "hearing".

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 1:16 am

Soham wrote:
I did this a lot as a kid, I would sit and humm various frequencies.

Wow.. I forgot that I did that too. I was especially taken by natural harmonics, like in a small room where the room would hum back at you. I enjoyed finding the note for a small room, and once found I would hum it for a while. I think it made my mother giggle. Gawd, it just reminded me of Sheldon finding the "sweet spot" in a cinema. lol

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 2:13 pm

I love to sing, and usually I will sing quietly or hum a song to myself, depending on the circumstances. But although I do it when happy and relaxed, there is also a humming I do when I'm actually feeling sad, agitated and trying to soothe myself. I've noticed for years that there is a particular song I hum to myself when I'm needing comforting. Sometime I start humming it when I don't even know I'm feeling so out of sorts, and it kind of clues me in to the fact that I'm uncomfortable or unhappy about something in that situation, if I had been out of touch with my reactions.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 2:18 pm

Many, many people sing and hum to entertain themselves, to soothe themselves, and to entertain other people.

I wish I had that facility; otherwise, I'd sing instead of howl :wink:

stabilator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2014, 12:31 am

I whistle sometimes, especially when I am happy and not very worried or stressed out. I like doing my own tunes, often random ones, sometimes ones that I have made up a while ago.

I don't try to sing much, as the vibration of my voice hurts in my head, and it is unsteady and awkward sounding, along with voice breaks.

VioletShadows
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2014, 4:42 pm

I used to hum all the time in class, when it was quiet, everyone would just look over and hear me humming or singing really quietly.

Aspie and proud- most of the time.