Page 3 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 12:16 am

I am trrying to figure out what it is that you really want.
Is it just to be neurotypical?
Since you are capable of developing skills like speaking well and making eye contact, why not just use them to live your life and do what you want to do without obsessing over being neurotypical?

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

22 Aug 2014, 10:33 pm

Obstinate wrote:
Sad thing is, even if there was a cure tomorrow, no strings attached or risk of becoming a vegetable, you're still at a severe disadvantage compared to people that have been socialized all their lives. You'd basically be at the level of an NT toddler probably :/

Autism is a neurological disorder generally due to an overstimulated mind. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that. If there actually was an actual positive cure, there would probably be no comparison to a neurotypiical mind. They may very well be like dealing with children.

Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Bruce Lee.

Borden88
Raven
Raven

23 Aug 2014, 9:28 pm

I hope the find a cure or something close to a cure.

RobertLovesPi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Aug 2014, 1:16 pm

I am horrified by the idea of a "cure." I like being the way I am!

I touched on this in a WordPress blog-post I just wrote, right here: http://robertlovespi.wordpress.com/2014 ... -wordings/ -- and, to find the other posts on my blog related to Asperger's, simply do a search, there, for that term, or wade through a LOT of geometry to find the Aspie-related posts, as you choose.

When I write about Asperger's, I prefer to do so openly, on a blog visible to everyone, with my real name included. This is why I'm not very active on this site. My goal with this openness? Removal of stigma, for we have nothing to be ashamed of. I prefer to view our differences from non-Aspies as something to be celebrated.

If a "cure" is ever discovered, I will certainly not seek it out, nor will I permit it to be used on me, even if I am offered a big pile of cash as an incentive. The size of the pile is irrelevant.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 1:54 pm

i actually really hope not. every time i claim "i wish i was NT" or "i wish i wasn't autistic", all i really want is to have better socializing skills to connect with people i like better. that's it.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

LifUlfur
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 1:59 pm

right now, there's no one i'd rather be than me, except perhaps, a tree. :D

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 2:23 pm

LifUlfur wrote:

what kind of tree? i'd be a majestic Giant Redwood. :alien:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 8:02 pm

Its not as simple as that. A diease or sickness is something that is in your system, once its gone well your back to normal, well most of the time.

Even if, lets say somehow they could fix this. I would still be lacking what? 20+ years of normal social interaction, infact i would be very scared to be cured, because any normal people would lose their sanity within a month living like me i would imagine.

I mean ive heard of normal people getting a depression from sitting home alone one weekend, Normal people are social animals.

So while a cure sounds nice, its definitely a bit to late. You dont just catch up on 20 years of social life experience.

But maybe they can help us, something to help again the sensory overload, if to many impressions and voices and sounds, that would be nice. I feel like i have a real problem learning as well, even when i learn something, if i dont use it constantly i will forget everything.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2014, 9:00 am

yournamehere wrote:
most cures for things is actually somekind of poison. After cures get administered, you usually end up with something that is less, instead of more. Even though it may save your life, or whatever, the actual action actually usually takes away.

Point of order, I don't think this is actually true. There are a number of curable medical conditions that do not involve taking away something from the patient, other than the pathogen.

Quote:
By stating the word "cure", it may be like a lobotomy. Take out half your brain, and connective tissue, and you are cured.
This may be true, then again it may not.

It seems likely that autism is almost always the result of many contributing factors some of which, in some people, might be treated in multiple nondestructive ways. Some people might be substantially cured as a result without having some terrible ill or loss inflicted on them, for many others this might not be possible.

LifUlfur
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2014, 1:34 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
LifUlfur wrote:

i'd be hyperlion (coast redwood) the tallest tree known to humanity (: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_%28tree%29
The tree was verified as standing 379.1 feet (115.55 m)
it's 7-8 centuries old

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 2:46 am

noidentity0 wrote:
Do you think that scientists willl ever find a cure for aspergers disorder. Or are we stuck with this hell for the rest of our lives. Why havent they found a cure for us? And i dont wanna hear any bullsh*t that aspergers is not a disorder because it has completly destroyed every part of my life. I would rather be paralyzed up to my head than to live like this. And i only have a mild form, i can only imagine what people with more severe symtoms are going through.

Anyway is anybody out there confident that there will be a cure. Because otherwise we are just all waiting in vain arent we.

Sounds like you have your own "why" that would motivate you to treat/cure yourself if possible.. much like I felt a couple of years ago before I met the right people and learned the right things with regards to how to treat the root cause of my ASD symptoms.

See my sig for the thread that details what I've done & feel free to PM with any questions/comments or requests for updates on how my life has changed since posting that.

Cheers,
Richard

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 2:15 pm

LifUlfur wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
LifUlfur wrote:

i'd be hyperlion (coast redwood) the tallest tree known to humanity (: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_%28tree%29
The tree was verified as standing 379.1 feet (115.55 m)
it's 7-8 centuries old

8O

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

LifUlfur
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 6:35 pm

sorreh :) i neither understand what that face means or which bit it relates too :D
i spelt the tree name wrong, it's hyperion not hyperlion, must've been a typo.

noidentity0
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

noidentity0
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Aug 2014, 7:45 am

Dont give up hope :)

noidentity0
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Aug 2014, 8:15 am

Quote:
Honestly I am not so sure I can say I feel my life is worth living....but its not simply because I have autism, also ptsd, depression and anxiety. Also though I think even though on its own autism causes me difficulties its more how people have treated me for being 'different' due to the autism that has done a lot of damage rather than the autism in itself.

Not sure I cope too well...but still here I guess.

I totally see how you feel. Its not easy. I think that God has a plan for all of us though. My thoughts are with you, dont give up hope <3