Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

kelgoldenhearttx
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Sep 2014, 8:39 pm

I am looking for someone in the Houston, Texas area that deals with ASD. Anyone know of someone? You may inbox me if you wish. I had a meltdown and was picked up by the police. I cannot seem to convince any medical personnel that it was a meltdown as part of the autism spectrum and they have assumed that it is psychiatric and are wanted to lock me away in a psychiatric facility and to find out if I am bipolar or schizophrenic. No, I had a meltdown which lasted about ten minutes. I was in the heat and my truck would not start. The owner of the shop next door thought I was rude when I asked him not to overcharge me because I was a female and refused to do business with me leading to a meltdown. I am in the hospital right now under 24 hour observation and the nurse said that my treatment plan included getting transferred to the Harris County Psychiatric facility. I am not bipolar or schizophrenic but was diagnosed with autism at age 10. I need some help getting to the right individuals who deals with ASD. Thanks.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2014, 10:49 pm

Hi, I sent you a lead through PM of one of the Houston medical school programs which seems to be good, not great, and might be a lead.

I really encourage other people with a Houston connection to jump in and try to help out. Thanks.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2014, 11:24 pm

I talked to an older fellow I know who's a Vietnam veteran and has some street smarts.

He suggested getting a lawyer who will then get your regular doctor to write a letter on his or her letterhead.

Even if your regular doctor doesn't have documentation of your diagnosis at age 10, it occurs to me that this method may still buy valuable time and may line up resources on your side.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 7:58 am

OP, this is so distressing -- I really hope you can get help.

This is why I believe some kind of official card issued by a person's GP, and carried if one wishes, might be a really good idea to carry around. If one could instantly produce official validation, on the spot, that one has been diagnosed on the autism spectrum, these authorities would probably not be able to proceed as they have.

I'm so sorry this has happened to you and I really hope you can get released and sort this all out.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2014, 4:57 pm

kelgoldenhearttx, how did things turn out? Are you okay? Please update us with the latest if you are able to. Best wishes to you.