Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

lunamoon1
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jan 2015, 4:50 pm

I struggle with sleeping issues (Pretty much an night owl) and 6 months ago my physiatrist prescribed me with Melatonin, since then my sleeping has been great(I'm getting around 8/7 hours then before I was getting 4/3). 3 months ago though, my doctor discharged me(as I was getting seen for depression) and she was prescribing the tablets. I've went to see my GP and he said because Melatonin isn't an officially licensed tablet in the UK, he can't prescribe it. My parents know people who get it prescribed to them for their ADHD, so is it worth seeing if I can get prescribed it due to the fact that I have AS and if so, what department?

Aspergirl14
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2015, 6:43 pm

You can buy it online, and get it shipped from the US. Its all legal (it is only a supplement after all) its just not regulated over here in the UK, which is probably why your doctor won't prescribe it.

Here's a good, reliable website which sells it: http://www.puritan.com/?icid=ros-_-topnav-_-logo

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 6:59 pm

It's over the counter & very inexpensive here in Canada, too. It's available at all pharmacies/health & nutrition stores/and most major grocery stores w/ pharmacy departments.

Meril
Raven
Raven

31 Jan 2015, 10:45 pm

I too have reaped the benefits of melatonin before, but I have been told that taking it leads your body to not make it

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2015, 2:56 am

It's OTC here in the U.S. Melatonin is actually a hormone your body is suppose to make naturally but many people don't make enough because of artificial lighting and technology, light destroys it. Try cutting the lights down and avoiding TV and computers for an hour before bed, maybe your body will make its own melatonin.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Feb 2015, 3:07 am

You could trying asking your doc to prescribe Ramelteon/Rozerem. From Wiki(clicky link)~

Quote:
Rozerem (ramelteon), FDA Approved 07.04.05 , can be used for insomnia, particularly delayed sleep onset. Ramelteon has not been shown to produce dependence and has shown no potential for abuse, and the withdrawal and rebound insomnia that is typical with GABA modulators is not present in ramelteon. Some clinicians also use ramelteon for the treatment of Delayed sleep phase syndrome.
Quote:
Ramelteon is a melatonin receptor agonist with both high affinity for melatonin MT1 and MT2 receptors and selectivity over the MT3 receptor.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition