Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

gaz34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2014, 11:32 am

Has any been on ritalin or any other meds to help with memory and concentration? I know its used for treating ADHD in children but can it be prescribed to asperger patients as well?

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 11:44 am

I was prescribed Ritalin when I was seven. I think that the people I lived with thought that (because I notice everything due to my hearing and would point out everything), I had ADHD. However, I didn't... I did not find Ritalin to be helpful at all.. but again, my real "issue" that they were trying to take care of had to do with my hearing, so obviously a medication is not going to help with that.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 11:52 am

I took that, and according to my parents... it made me worse. I take Concerta now, and I have since around 2003 I believe? The only drawback is that I take it's extended release form, and it makes it rather challenging for me to get to sleep at night. :/ I think something like Concerta would be more helpful because ritalin has been getting a lot of bad reviews.

gaz34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2014, 11:59 am

nyxjord wrote:
I was prescribed Ritalin when I was seven. I think that the people I lived with thought that (because I notice everything due to my hearing and would point out everything), I had ADHD. However, I didn't... I did not find Ritalin to be helpful at all.. but again, my real "issue" that they were trying to take care of had to do with my hearing, so obviously a medication is not going to help with that.

My mam always used to say I had good hearing too but not as good as it was because I have permanent ringing in my ear, I forget what its called.

I've read that about ritalin that it does nothing for a lot of people. Then again, there's a few cases I come across on the internet that says its transformed children. My ADD symptoms didn't start until after I left school. I'm really sick of not being able to concentrate and having awful short term memory.

gaz34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2014, 12:04 pm

LokiofSassgard wrote:
I took that, and according to my parents... it made me worse. I take Concerta now, and I have since around 2003 I believe? The only drawback is that I take it's extended release form, and it makes it rather challenging for me to get to sleep at night. :/ I think something like Concerta would be more helpful because ritalin has been getting a lot of bad reviews.

Are you sure they're not the same drug? According to wikipedia they're the same, just with different brand names: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylphenidate

gaz34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2014, 12:07 pm

Ah right, it's the extended release version.

Do you find it helps with concentration? Did you get prescribed it for ADD/ADHD or Aspergers?

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 12:15 pm

Well, it was prescribed to me for ADHD. I think any drug you take as stimulant can also be used to help autism. I'm taking the highest dosage of it because as a kid, my ADHD was really severe. I don't what it is now that I'm older. My brain won't let me find that out. D: I also don't have AS, just an Autistic Disorder. I would think the results would be the same for both autism and ADHD though.

gaz34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2014, 12:20 pm

Does concerta make you able to concentrate more?

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 12:25 pm

All stimulants you take will. I'd start with ritalin first though. Concerta can be a pretty heavy drug if you aren't used to taking stimulants. I've been taking them since the second grade.

gaz34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2014, 12:30 pm

LokiofSassgard wrote:
All stimulants you take will. I'd start with ritalin first though. Concerta can be a pretty heavy drug if you aren't used to taking stimulants. I've been taking them since the second grade.

Thanks, I might go and ask my doctor about taking it. I hope I won't need to get a separate diagnosis for ADHD to recieve it :roll: It was bad enough getting diagnised for AS.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 1:01 pm

I started-out, when I was diagnosed as an adult with ADHD, on Cylert----it was WONDERFUL!! ! They discontinued it in the U.S. Then, I took Concerta; then, when it was discontinued at my Pharmacy, I took Adderall; then, Ritalin. ALL of the last three drugs made me EXTREMELY ANGRY----like I could PUNCH / hurt someone, angry!! !! As so many have heard, a couple of these mass murderers have been on Ritalin, and I can TOTALLY understand why they went on these rampages, while taking the drug, Ritalin, or Adderall!! !

gaz34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2014, 4:39 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
I started-out, when I was diagnosed as an adult with ADHD, on Cylert----it was WONDERFUL!! ! They discontinued it in the U.S. Then, I took Concerta; then, when it was discontinued at my Pharmacy, I took Adderall; then, Ritalin. ALL of the last three drugs made me EXTREMELY ANGRY----like I could PUNCH / hurt someone, angry!! !! As so many have heard, a couple of these mass murderers have been on Ritalin, and I can TOTALLY understand why they went on these rampages, while taking the drug, Ritalin, or Adderall!! !

That doesn't sound so good. I've had those kind of thoughts before when I was coming off Citalopram. What were reasons for you starting stimulant drugs? I want to start on them so I can get a job doing programming or something.

What sort of things can you do when you're taking these meds that you wouldn't be able to do otherwise?

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 4:44 pm

gaz34 wrote:
LokiofSassgard wrote:

Thanks, I might go and ask my doctor about taking it. I hope I won't need to get a separate diagnosis for ADHD to recieve it :roll: It was bad enough getting diagnised for AS.

I don't think you will need one. Most people take stimulants for autism as well. Some drugs for ADHD will work for those on the spectrum as well. Mainly because both ADHD and Autism are nearly the same, except for the fact that ADHD isn't on the spectrum. They are usually used for controlling hyperactivity and attention problems in people with ASDs (including AS, I believe). However, it does take time to get used to them.

As I've said before, I've taken them since the second grade, so I've had plenty of time to find the right on that helps me stay focused and concentrate a lot better.

gaz34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2014, 4:54 pm

LokiofSassgard wrote:
I don't think you will need one. Most people take stimulants for autism as well. Some drugs for ADHD will work for those on the spectrum as well. Mainly because both ADHD and Autism are nearly the same, except for the fact that ADHD isn't on the spectrum. They are usually used for controlling hyperactivity and attention problems in people with ASDs (including AS, I believe). However, it does take time to get used to them.

As I've said before, I've taken them since the second grade, so I've had plenty of time to find the right on that helps me stay focused and concentrate a lot better.

I live in the UK so it might be a bit different but it definitely sounds worth a go. My main concern is the side effects such as the anger issue. I hardly ever leave the house, my mum does most things for me as I have a lot of anxiety. If I start getting angry because of the stimulants it won't be easy to shake off the feeling being stuck in doors.

gaz34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2014, 4:54 pm

LokiofSassgard wrote:

I live in the UK so it might be a bit different but it definitely sounds worth a go. My main concern is the side effects such as the anger issue. I hardly ever leave the house, my mum does most things for me as I have a lot of anxiety. If I start getting angry because of the stimulants it won't be easy to shake off the feeling being stuck in doors all day.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 5:29 pm

Just remember that different drugs affect others differently. Just because one poster had anger issues with them, doesn't mean everyone will have them. So, try not to worry. ^^