Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

capri0112
Raven
Raven

27 Sep 2014, 8:35 am

If I could skip the "social chit-chat" part of the appointment, I would go to the salon every 4-6 weeks as most stylists recommend!

The chatter expected during the appointment is something I can and do manage (no one would guess I hate it because I fake it just fine), but I don't like it, so I put it off as long as possible. It's the main reason (besides saving a load of cash!) that I color (but not cut---except for my bangs, once in a while!) my own hair, and do my own nails, and I do a good job of it too.

I just do not look forward to the feeling of being trapped in a situation where I am forced to make small talk. If I could just sit there and read or something, without seeming rude, then it would be much easier, and I would certainly go more often.

It doesn't help that people, especially women, are pressured to always look good, freshly styled, manicured, primped and powdered.

So, as a woman, I feel like I have to look a certain way, but I hate the process required to get there.

WeeYank
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Sep 2014, 8:45 am

^ what she said!

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2014, 6:14 pm

Haircuts are annoying, and I only get them when I can no longer tolerate my hair. It's out of my routine (and therefore easy to put off), the social aspects are uncomfortable, and even though you describe how you want it or show a photo, you never quite know what you're going to get. I last had it cut about six months ago, and it was not a good experience. I'm at the point where I'd rather just grow it out and trim it myself periodically.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2014, 7:31 pm

The only thing I hate more then then going to the barber is going to the dentist. Getting a haircut is an absolutely awful experience for me. Mostly my mom or dad use clippers on me, which I can barely tolerate, even though it's from them. I always cringe when that thing makes that loud snap when it's turned on.

NicholasName
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Sep 2014, 8:16 pm

I cannot tolerate hair salons at all. I started cutting my own hair as soon as my motor skills were developed enough to copy what I'd observed when I did go to salons.

I might have to go soon, as there's something complicated that I want done to make taking care of it easier. If I do, I fully intend on going somewhere the stylists don't speak much English.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2014, 9:39 pm

Raleigh wrote:
I used to cut my own hair when it was longer. Now it's short it's trickier to do myself. The main issue I have with getting my hair cut is the headache - sometimes migraine - I get afterwards. I'm not sure if it's from the pulling on the scalp or the products they use - I never get product put in my hair myself and I absolutely refuse to have it washed - or I end up with a migraine. I never comb or brush my hair - just comb it with my fingers. It always stays in place however I style it. I don't use shampoo either, so I was wondering if it's the smell of the shampoo or dyes in the shop that gives me headaches or the combing and pulling on my scalp. Does anyone else experience this?

could it simply be the stress of the experience that give you a headache???

slave
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2014, 9:46 pm

I have a friend who passes a note to the hairdresser stating that she is observing a vow of silence. Most hairdressers are puzzled but respectful. All communications that follow are gestural or written.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 10:12 am

I've been cutting my own since 1980! But I'm a woman and have always worn it long, so it's not that hard to make it somewhat okay-looking. I even learned some layering techniques and do those on myself. I've also done the "hold up in a ponytail and cut" method someone mentioned.

Anything to avoid sitting in a salon. The last time someone cut my hair in a salon, they cut it too short and also managed to stab the scissors into my cheek and actually draw blood. 8O

I don't see myself ever being in a salon again, I'll just keep cutting my own hair even if I can't do it properly. I'd rather be in charge and look a mess than look better but have to sit through the salon experience.

mila_oblong
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Sep 2014, 8:44 pm

Oh god, my mother has been asking me about that. :roll: I haven't wanted to get it done in about 5 years. Then again, that's also because I hate looking at myself in the mirror due to my weight. So it's probably more of a vanity issue than anything else. For someone with AS, I sure am vain. :roll:

Moonranch
Raven
Raven

29 Sep 2014, 9:48 pm

I can relate to this a lot. I get very stressed about having my hair cut because of having to engage in small talk. Sometimes I will put off going but I can't avoid it for long because my hair starts to get on my nerves if it grows out too much. It's shoulder-length, curly and thick and needs to be cut regularly otherwise it drives me crazy.

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2014, 6:39 am

Wow, i hate having my hair cut too!
Everytime that my brother comes to me to take me to the guy who cut our hair is the same torture. He says that looking at my face everyone would believe me if i say that he actually invited me to join a mass suicide event.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2014, 6:52 am

I had a hangup on haircuts for a time. I think when I was 15 or so. But now I like them if I have a female stylist. I just like the simple contact and meeting a new person. There is something pleasant about it being with a woman. I can chat or not. It is a relaxing experience. I can tolerate the guy barbers if there is no one else, but its then just a dull chore, like getting you shots at the doctors.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Sep 2014, 7:21 am

I find getting both haircuts and teeth cleanings to be annoying based on the chit chat that tends to accompany them. The dental hygienist expects one to talk during the cleaning. How? About all one can do is nod. And during haircuts, all I hear is the town gossip.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2014, 11:03 am

Issues with going to the barber or hairdresser? Heck yes. Thta's why my wife has been cutting my hair for many years now - and she does a very good job of it. :D

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2014, 2:03 pm

eggheadjn's post has reminded me -- my mother cut my dad's hair all his life! He never went to a barber's; mum did it at home for him as far back as I can remember.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2014, 5:38 pm

I have been cutting my own hair since I was 14 (now 36). I never liked the way anyone else cut my hair. Much less the chit chat, the yanking and pulling on my head, the lights, etc.

I have cut my hair a lot of different ways, long and straight, layered, bobbed, short. I'm good at cutting other people's hair too but I don't like the feeling of touching someone's hair.

Right now my hair is shockingly short and I get mixed comments on it. Mostly positive but a few people act weird about it. But I've had people stop me in the grocery store to tell me how good it looks.