Having shut downs rather than meltdowns

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Moonranch
Raven
Raven

29 Sep 2014, 3:14 pm

I have heard of people on the spectrum having ?meltdowns? when they get overwhelmed or overloaded in some way and I take this to mean they have some kind of ?outburst?, perhaps shouting out or vocalising their distress in some other way. I feel like a meltdown implies some kind of noisy and very obvious demonstration of distress or frustration.

I don?t ever do this, I seem to shut down instead. When I am seriously overwhelmed and distressed, I almost completely shut down and pretty much stop being able to communicate. I can?t tell people what's wrong and I feel like my brain is on pause. I can?t seem to access my thoughts and I don?t know what to do.

I can act very strangely when I am in shut down mode. For example, I got overwhelmed in a therapy session today and after I left the room I just sat on a ledge outside. After ten minutes I moved into the waiting room and sat there for a bit and then I left, totally blanking my therapist who had come out to wait for her next client. I went and sat in my car but only for a moment before going and standing outside of the building where I get therapy. Then I went back in and sat in the waiting room again. I don?t know why I couldn't settle or what I was trying to achieve by moving about. I didn't feel in control of my thoughts or actions.

My therapist came and sat with me after I went back in but I couldn't really talk to her. As well as being ?shut down? I started having an anxiety attack. In the end my therapist had to leave me and I managed to pull myself together enough to get home.

Does anything like this happen to anyone else and do you attribute it to you ASD? Do you have ways to manage it when it happens? Are there things people can do to help?

I don?t know what to say to my therapist. I feel so embarrassed about the way I acted in front of her.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 3:35 pm

Yep. I shut down more often than melt down. But, I have only ever explained why, not apologized, for doing so. I doubt there is reason to apologize, but an explanation is a good thing to do after the fact. It is simple, people with ASDs do this occasionally or even frequently. Others should understand that it happens.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Sep 2014, 3:45 pm

Moonranch wrote:
I have heard of people on the spectrum having ?meltdowns? when they get overwhelmed or overloaded in some way and I take this to mean they have some kind of ?outburst?, perhaps shouting out or vocalising their distress in some other way. I feel like a meltdown implies some kind of noisy and very obvious demonstration of distress or frustration.

I don?t ever do this, I seem to shut down instead. When I am seriously overwhelmed and distressed, I almost completely shut down and pretty much stop being able to communicate. I can?t tell people what's wrong and I feel like my brain is on pause. I can?t seem to access my thoughts and I don?t know what to do.

YES. I know where you're coming from. This does happen to me often, and I do attribute it to my ASD. I can't even express myself when this happens. Everything is internalized and I just switch off on people. I need time to be alone and recover. Once it sets in, all people can do to help is let me be. I do suffer a physical or verbal meltdown occasionally, but never in front of people, at lest not since I was very young. Self-expression and honesty were not welcome in my parents' household. :?

Your therapist, if she has worked with other autistic patients in the past, will appreciate what you're going through. My advice is, just tell her you got overwhelmed, didn't know what to do, and had to leave to collect yourself. Then she can ask you what in particular overwhelmed you and that can be the start of your next session. :)

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

Moonranch
Raven
Raven

29 Sep 2014, 4:12 pm

Thank you so much for the reponses. It's good to know I'm not the only one dealing with this!

Evil_Chuck wrote:
Your therapist, if she has worked with other autistic patients in the past, will appreciate what you're going through. My advice is, just tell her you got overwhelmed, didn't know what to do, and had to leave to collect yourself. Then she can ask you what in particular overwhelmed you and that can be the start of your next session. :)

I don't think my therapist is used to working with people with autism. She is an eating disorder therapist. I have tried to explain how my autism affects me but I'm not sure she gets it. I will explain that I shut down when I am overwhelmed.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 4:34 pm

I shut down (go blank and won't respond) and meltdown (cry uncontrollably).
I feel both these processes are absolutely necessary for my well-being. If I couldn't do either of these I'm sure I would go mad. I feel 'managing' my shutdown/meltdown would be detrimental to the whole process.
Yes, they are embarrassing - but vital to me.

Moonranch
Raven
Raven

29 Sep 2014, 9:53 pm

Raleigh wrote:
I feel both these processes are absolutely necessary for my well-being. If I couldn't do either of these I'm sure I would go mad. I feel 'managing' my shutdown/meltdown would be detrimental to the whole process.

I wish I could view mine like this but I am intensely embarrassed by my shut downs (especially the odd behaviour I mentioned) and they are making it very hard for me to engage with my therapist and mental health team.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 10:22 pm

Moonranch wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

I wish I could view mine like this but I am intensely embarrassed by my shut downs (especially the odd behaviour I mentioned) and they are making it very hard for me to engage with my therapist and mental health team.

Shutdown is a survival strategy. It means you've reached the limit of what you are humanly capable of dealing with at that time. If you're shutting down during therapy it must be causing you acute stress.
I find it very stressful to speak to therapists. I take notes in between sessions now and email them to my psychologist. Maybe shorter sessions would be better. Maybe a break in the middle to be alone for a time? A good therapist should understand these things - that's what they're there for.

jayjayuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Sep 2014, 11:06 pm

Moonranch wrote:

I can act very strangely when I am in shut down mode. For example, I got overwhelmed in a therapy session today and after I left the room I just sat on a ledge outside. After ten minutes I moved into the waiting room and sat there for a bit and then I left, totally blanking my therapist who had come out to wait for her next client. I went and sat in my car but only for a moment before going and standing outside of the building where I get therapy. Then I went back in and sat in the waiting room again. I don?t know why I couldn't settle or what I was trying to achieve by moving about. I didn't feel in control of my thoughts or actions.

My therapist came and sat with me after I went back in but I couldn't really talk to her. As well as being ?shut down? I started having an anxiety attack. In the end my therapist had to leave me and I managed to pull myself together enough to get home.

Does anything like this happen to anyone else and do you attribute it to you ASD? Do you have ways to manage it when it happens? Are there things people can do to help?

I don?t know what to say to my therapist. I feel so embarrassed about the way I acted in front of her.

So glad you mentioned this. Shutdowns and meltdowns in normal life I tend to do a lot. I'll either completely run away from an issue, or I'll get so emotionally worked up that I meltdown. And it's the people around me that suffer.

Shutting down is common for me. Ignoring a problem is common too. But, so are meltdowns.

Don't know if this is AS specific, but you're not alone here. Sadly I have no advice though, I still struggle with this a lot.

jayjayuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Sep 2014, 11:08 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Moonranch wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

Shutdown is a survival strategy. It means you've reached the limit of what you are humanly capable of dealing with at that time. If you're shutting down during therapy it must be causing you acute stress.
I find it very stressful to speak to therapists. I take notes in between sessions now and email them to my psychologist. Maybe shorter sessions would be better. Maybe a break in the middle to be alone for a time? A good therapist should understand these things - that's what they're there for.

But what if you inappropriately shutdown or meltdown, to the point where it's a problem for you and others around you?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 11:55 pm

jayjayuk wrote:
But what if you inappropriately shutdown or meltdown, to the point where it's a problem for you and others around you?

I'm sure many of my shutdown/meltdowns have been inappropriate. I would like to be able to stop them. I can prolong the period of time between them by stimming or vigorous exercise. I can use 'controlled crying' to try and alleviate some of the stress. I can use that 'observe your feelings with detachment' technique to a certain degree but I can't prevent them from happening if I'm in any kind of face-to-face contact with people. The only way is to escape to a safe place where I can let the shutdown/meltdown run it's course.
I intend to continue working on it though. I'd love to hear from someone who's eliminated their shutdowns/meltdowns just to know if it's possible.

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2014, 12:58 am

jayjayuk wrote:

I agree with Raleigh; when you're on the spectrum, shutdowns and meltdowns just come with the territory. You know in your mind when you've had enough. The hard part is letting the people around you know it. With strangers it's very tricky, but at least family and friends may be able to pick up on it. Perhaps you can even work out a nonverbal signal when you have to withdraw, so that they know the reason. It's not something you have to feel guilty about, because it's not a matter of choice; it just happens.

To the OP, I think that a therapist with more experience in the field of ASD might be better prepared to help you with those symptoms. I'm not familiar with your whole situation of course, but I think it's worth mentioning.

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2014, 1:35 am

I have two kinds of shutdowns. I will either go catatonic and just sit there like a statue and it's really hard to snap me out of it. Or I'll curl into a ball and go catatonic.

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2014, 6:35 am

Only a few times during my whole life i think that what i had would be considered a meltdown, and was during the worst and most stressful situations i've ever had. Shutdowns, in the other hand, are pretty common and at least once a week i become overwhelmed to the point where i need to go to my room, turn of every light and every sound and let my mind rest or i would freak out completely.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2014, 7:19 am

I also have shutdowns instead of meltdowns. I think I've only had one or two stereotypical meltdowns in my life.

The woman who did my ASD assessment said that it's not uncommon to only have one or the other. She asked me if there were any traits that most autistics have that I don't. I said that I don't seem to have meltdowns. She said that she considers shutdowns and meltdowns different forms of the same thing.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

bungleton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Sep 2014, 7:38 am

Oh yeah. I go blank and stare at a fixed point. I am aware of what's happening around me, though quite vaguely-- even my own thoughts are distant and they're usually very self-deprecating at that point. It feels like I *could* pull myself out of it but it would be very difficult, and the fact of the matter is I don't... I feel as though I have to stay there until whatever it is has passed. I've internally referred to it as standby mode before. I seem to sink a couple of layers of cognition deeper than usual. And yeah, this is usually in response to stress or sadness.

Everyone's watching!
So here... Are my hopes and aspirations
Nothing but puke
God, I'm so loooooonelaaaaaaayyyy
*power stance, air guitar*

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2014, 11:00 am

EzraS wrote:
I have two kinds of shutdowns. I will either go catatonic and just sit there like a statue and it's really hard to snap me out of it. Or I'll curl into a ball and go catatonic.

^^^ +1

:D