Do You Ever Think in Song Lyrics or Movie/TV Dialogue?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 2:17 pm

I'm thinking this is just a quirky thing, and not really an Aspie thing----though, the thing that "drives" it might be neurological, idk.

I used to almost always think in song lyrics----like, if someone said they had a "splendid" time, I would automatically think of "Love is a Many Splendored Thing" (I know it's a different "S" word, but that's where my mind went).

Also, I'm always doing math in my head----like, if I know someone's age, and they say something like: "I've lived here for 10 years", I automatically subtract to get the age they were when they first moved "here".

Does anyone else do this----or, if not the above, do you think in some other kind of sequences, or patterns, or whatever? Just curious....

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 2:24 pm

Actually yes, there have been times in the past where I actually started singing the song they made me think of out loud, mostly to be funny, but I also like to sing :D

And now that you mention about the age thing I do that too. I never really noticed it before.

- Sherlock Holmes

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 2:45 pm

That's funny, L_Holmes, I used to sing aloud, as well----when I was around people that I was comfortable with----and, for the same reason, because I love to sing, and I thought I was being funny. Also, I used to have a friend that did it, as well. After awhile, we were only amusing to ourselves, though!! LOL

Also, I do all kinds of math----not just ages----like, if someone says "It's only 10 dollars a month", I automatically think to myself: "Yeah, but that's 120 dollars a year!" I'm always "figuring"!

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 2:54 pm

Pretty much everything that happens reminds me of a song, or a particular phrase from a song. It's like I have a jukebox in my mind that automatically searches and plays whatever song is relevant to the current situation. Like it's playing the soundtrack to my life. I can turn it off if it becomes distracting though.

I'm also reminded of lines I remember from books or movies, but not as frequently.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 3:48 pm

Being a stutterer, I've replied with singing many song lyrics (only with people I know well though). It's actually impossible to stutter when you sing.

OnPorpoise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2014, 4:09 pm

With me it's movies more than songs. But songs also.

For a song example, when I think someone's lying or talking bs, lyrics from a song play in my head, "It seems to me I've heard that song before, it's from an old, familiar score..." :)

I think of quotes from Galaxy Quest when I know something's being said that I'm not getting. And when I think of trying to make a friend, I always picture Boris Karloff as Frankenstein saying, "Friend? Friend?" and stretching out his hands.

A few month's back, I was trying to be helpful and I guess I was being annoying because my boss snapped at me. I was feeling hurt and angry, then I thought of that scene from Airplane -- the "stewardess, I speak jive" one. And I pictured Barbara Billingsley saying "chump don't want help, chump don't get help!" That made me laugh and feel better. I repeated that to myself a lot that night, after she left.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 6:24 pm

Raleigh wrote:
It's actually impossible to stutter when you sing.

Raleigh, do you know why that is? I've always wondered, ever since being a fan of Mel Tillis.

OnPorpoise, your "chump" story made me laugh, just now, too!!

I'm thinking maybe our being able to do this might be two-fold.... We pay attention to detail, and words don't come easy for us??

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 6:44 pm

http://stutteringonlinetherapy.com/2012 ... they-sing/

One successful therapy for stuttering is learning to speak in a singsong voice - like people sometimes do with young children. Think kindergarten teacher: Now, we all need to go to the baaathrooooooom!

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 7:30 pm

In the link above he says he has occasionally heard people stutter while singing, especially at the start of the song. This is true, so I guess I shouldn't have said 'impossible'.
There's a song I sing which starts, 'My secrets....' I would always 'block' on this because I have trouble with the 'm' sound. However, if I hum a little to the music before I start I can sing it perfectly every time. I think stuttering happens at the start of the song because you haven't really started to sing.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 7:32 pm

I have always used song lyrics heavily in my thoughts. When I used to have to write things in Elementary School or Middle school, it would often be littered with song lyrics. I often use quotes from books, movies, or TV shows too.

Math is also found in my thoughts fairly often. I will calculate anything around me at random times.

OnPorpoise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2014, 11:32 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
I'm thinking maybe our being able to do this might be two-fold.... We pay attention to detail, and words don't come easy for us??

After I realized about having (being?) Asperger's, I was thinking of my favorite childhood book, A Wrinkle in Time and one of the characters, Mrs. Who (no relation to the Doctor ;)) She spoke only in quotes and one of the others explains that she finds it "difficult to verbalize" in her own words.

I wonder if Madeleine L'Engle had some familiarity with Asperger's, even though this was written in the early 1960s. Maybe she did but didn't realize what it was?

I think we do find it difficult to verbalize. Also, difficulties identifying emotions in others and maybe myself. If something someone says or does reminds me of a book, movie, or song, it helps reinforce guessing what's going on with them. To go back to my Frankenstein example, the way he looks when he says "friend?" and his hand gestures reminds me of the mix of confusion and hope I feel when I meet people and work on making friends.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2014, 2:42 pm

OnPorpoise wrote:
I wonder if Madeleine L'Engle had some familiarity with Asperger's, even though this was written in the early 1960s. Maybe she did but didn't realize what it was?

It's quite possible she had a familiarity with Autism, at least----my mother "diagnosed" ME in the early 1960s!!

I think we do find it difficult to verbalize. Also, difficulties identifying emotions in others and maybe myself. If something someone says or does reminds me of a book, movie, or song, it helps reinforce guessing what's going on with them. To go back to my Frankenstein example, the way he looks when he says "friend?" and his hand gestures reminds me of the mix of confusion and hope I feel when I meet people and work on making friends.

That's something I hadn't thought-of----that we understand others' emotions because of the emotions we read-about, or saw in a movie, or whatever.

Another thing that I thought-of, after reading your post, was that we remember the words so readily because the source (book, music, movie, etc.) brings us so much enjoyment, that it "sticks"----stays with us.

It's funny, I have the WORST short-term memory in the WORLD, but I can, pretty much, know the words to at least the chorus of a song even before it finishes, and am able to sing-along the next time I hear it!!

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Oct 2014, 3:31 pm

Today somebody told me they were studying business but they weren't a businessman. I just had to say, "you're a business, man!"

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 12:31 am

I think in Kinks lyrics and Austin Powers quotes day in and day out. It helps me to keep a sense of humour. :)

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Oct 2014, 1:14 am

I quote my favourite movies nearly every day!

Usually Men in Black (first one only, I didn't find the others funny), A Knight's Tale, and Ever After.

For example my roommate happened to mention that we had a house moth infestation, and I immediately had to quote from MIB: "You know I've noticed an infestation around here. Nothing but undeveloped, unevolved, barely conscious pond scum, totally convinced of their own superiority as they scurry about their short, pointless, lives."

All done in my best Edgar voice :lol:

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 2:42 am

I quote a lot of movies or my favorite YouTube videos too, though often I can't tell what reminds me of them. I think it's more just something I do to help me relax or laugh a bit, I do it a lot at work so that would make sense.

I probably look insane, muttering under my breath and then laughing out loud at random intervals :lol:

- Sherlock Holmes