Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

bungleton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Oct 2014, 5:54 pm

As I understand it, fine motor control issues are pretty common in those with ASD/AS.
I've had shaky hands (and crappy handwriting,) for as long as I can remember. I have wanted to know why this is so for just as long. Apparently one of my family members on my mothers' side had the same issue.

Have I potentially found out why I'll never be a rocket surgeon or might I have to keep searching?

Everyone's watching!
So here... Are my hopes and aspirations
Nothing but puke
God, I'm so loooooonelaaaaaaayyyy
*power stance, air guitar*

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2014, 6:07 pm

My hands shake a lot of the time due to stress. I get enough sugar, food and drink in me, and I don't have diabetes either.

The one test I haven't gotten done is to see if I have MS, which might explain my own hand tremors.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2014, 8:17 pm

there's a thing called essential tremor and it runs in my family. i shake all the time and like a leaf if upset. this tremor occurs with activity, unlike the tremor of parkinson's, which occurs at rest. some drugs, like lithium and antipsychotics, also can cause tremor.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2014, 9:19 pm

I don't know if its exactly tremors per say but I do have trouble with coordination/fine motor control with quite a few things, like I can cut up vegtables and meat for cooking but it seems like other people always have some skill with it and quickly just do it and it looks more efficiently done than when I do it as well as taking less time but its hard to explain why its harder for me. Or my hands might be unsteady with things(part of why i never really got into wearing make up)...I also sometimes randomly lose my balance sort of or stumble and bump into things. So maybe aspegers has something to do with it as I know i have some issues with that sort of stuff.

Obviously those things are worse if I happen to get drunk or something, but that's a given. I really only get tremors or shaking from my anxiety and PTSD symptoms or like if I haven't eaten in too long or have gone far too long without sleep or at least not near enough sleep. Or I guess I get sometimes if I get frusterated/angry enough but I think that is more from wanting to destroy something and holding back that energy.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 02 Oct 2014, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2014, 9:25 pm

bungleton wrote:
Have I potentially found out why I'll never be a rocket surgeon

That's probably not a lucrative field to get into anyways. There aren't many rockets that need surgery.