Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 7:03 pm

Do you believe Aspie's and ASD civil freedoms are starting to be slowly taken away compared to every other type of individual? I try not to usually dwell on the negative things happening to other people with ASD but my own life but I want to know what your opinion is.

calstar2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2014, 9:53 pm

nope

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 11:26 pm

You're going to have to give some examples.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2014, 1:44 am

In general freedom is being taken away.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2014, 2:27 am

I think we are getting more rather then less. Especially in the last 10 years. But I do believe that we are long do for an autism rights movement. I have never had an employed job in my entire life because no employer will make accommodations for autism traits. Starting an autism rights movement may prove difficult for most autistics because most rights movement campaigns begin by participating in local parades and that could be a sensory issue for some.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2014, 12:24 pm

Yeah. With more awareness comes loss of civil rights.

Children who not too long ago would - and should! - be in regular school are now being labeled and put in spec ed. Aspies are finding a harder time getting their driver?s licence, based on their diagnosis and not skills. There have been incidents the last years where families with aspie or autistic children were not allowed to immigrate to Canada, USA and Australia. There have been incidents where aspies were fired from jobs they did perfectly because someone higher up learned of their diagnosis and decided they couldn?t do the job. And when unlawful terminations and the high prevalence of unemployment among us is touched upon, the emphasis is either on how ?difficult? we are to be around, or on how stressful it is for our families that we are in that situation. Because you know, it?s a piece of cake for us, we?re not really part of it, we?re not the REAL people.

Autistic children are murdered by their so-called normal parents and the parents? peers have nothing but sympathy and understanding for their situation. When reports reach the news the focus is on how hard it is to raise autistic children, and not the horror of murdering their own child, the biggest taboo of them all. Imagine that happening with any other murdered child!

There have been WP members who have voiced fears of aspie parents having their children taken from them. Just yesterday helles posted links to a Danish forum and voiced concern about aspie parents losing their children when getting divorce. NT parents on the other hand are automatically wonderful of course, as is evidenced by posts on aspie forums by aspies who downright hate their parents. (As well as all the other children who have suffered different kinds of NT parental abuse, mistreatment or neglect. But of course if NTs eff up there are mitigating circumstances. If we eff up, we are to blame for being aspies.)

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2014, 2:38 pm

Yep that's the thread that made me post this.

Thanks for proving my point.