Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 5:28 pm

Please forgive me if I am being insensitive in any way. I don't know you personally but I have read a number of your posts and I just can't imagine that you would enjoy being in the military. I understand the desire you may have to serve your country but somehow you don't strike me as the type of person who would handle the rigors of the military very well. Now, of course since I don't know you personally I am just guessing but that is just the impression I get from you.

Wreck It Ralph

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 6:19 pm

OJani wrote:
mmcool wrote:
I live in an residential placement for adults with learning disability's.

I'm curious about this one. Does it mean that you are 'institutionalized' in some way? (with all respect)
How much are caregivers involved? What they do to help you?

Does it mean that you are 'institutionalized' in some way? What do you mean?
How much are caregivers involved? What they do to help you? I can do everything on my own the only thing is that i like someone to talk to on walks.

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 6:20 pm

skibum wrote:
Please forgive me if I am being insensitive in any way. I don't know you personally but I have read a number of your posts and I just can't imagine that you would enjoy being in the military. I understand the desire you may have to serve your country but somehow you don't strike me as the type of person who would handle the rigors of the military very well. Now, of course since I don't know you personally I am just guessing but that is just the impression I get from you.

I would have to hope it goes well if i every get in (vary slim chance).

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 6:22 pm

skibum wrote:

I agree with this, and the thread linked on the previous post shows it's not a good idea.

To answer your question, I don't think a diagnosis would be removed unless you no longer fit the criteria. And you do seem to still fit the criteria judging by what you posted in the thread linked on the previous page.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Oct 2014, 4:09 am

I know the military is something of a dream for you, but you have two businesses, right?

I guess your best bet at getting your diagnosis removed is working at those businesses until you can pass as NT for long enough to convince a psychologist that you were mis-diagnosed. I would guess your history of requiring extra support would still make that tricky though.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 6:46 pm

What do these two businesses involve, you could develop these instead.

Otherwise theres a lot here to work on, uh, you do seem autististic, regardless of the presenting symptoms.

I dont think the army is not the best way to go, based on your post hystory. Even with an interview with army officials, they only have to look and listen to you and how to conduct yourself and they would already know you are not suitable.

An alternative though... you could join a corps that caters for your website programming skills. Maybe similar to me if i ever desired to be in the army... I have skills that is useable for Communications and other Information or Security army protocals. I cannot, by any means, handle a real gun, be able to kill or bond with other solidiers.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 8:32 pm

The diagnosis label is easily removed if you can manage not to show enough symptoms anymore to qualify for the diagnosis.

EDIT: It should be noted, that your diagnosis and former diagnosis will still be recorded by the institution who gave you the diagnosis and any other institution that formally was told about it.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 1:08 am

mmcool wrote:
OJani wrote:
mmcool wrote:

I'm curious about this one. Does it mean that you are 'institutionalized' in some way? (with all respect)

How much are caregivers involved? What they do to help you? I can do everything on my own the only thing is that i like someone to talk to on walks.

By 'institutionalization' I mean:
- having someone else to finance rent/lodging
- getting meals regularly without making the arrangements, preparing the meal, or paying the bill
- being constantly supervised, at least for 'your own security', or for immediate help when one might be in need

This definition is definitely not clear for 'institutionalization', there may be a grey zone between it and 'living independently'. Hence I wrote "in some way".

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 5:35 pm

OJani wrote:
mmcool wrote:
OJani wrote:
mmcool wrote:

- getting meals regularly without making the arrangements, preparing the meal, or paying the bill
- being constantly supervised, at least for 'your own security', or for immediate help when one might be in need

This definition is definitely not clear for 'institutionalization', there may be a grey zone between it and 'living independently'. Hence I wrote "in some way".

having someone else to finance rent? Social services pay the rent.
getting meals regularly without making the arrangements, preparing the meal, or paying the bill? I can cook vary well but do not pay the bills here apart from £5 per year tv lincince.
being constantly supervised, at least for 'your own security', or for immediate help when one might be in need? nope as no funding is given for staff but help is available if needed.

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 4:29 pm

anyone?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 4:51 pm

I want to get rid of my diagnosis too. I keep hearing terrifying things on the internet about people with Autism being thrown an asylum at some point in years to come, and so I want the ASD diagnosis off my medical records so that they can't track me down and throw me into one of those, because I am not going to have that happen to me when the rest of my family and friends can go on living for being NTs. Besides, I feel I don't have Asperger's. I feel I'm just a sensitive, introverted NT with an anxiety/stress disorder, some OCD, and prone to depression (which I'm on medication for, which is helping). I also feel I have ADHD because I have been researching a lot about ADHD and everything I've read about ADHD describes me a lot. But I can read body language and other social cues, and I know how to lie and I can feel and express empathy and all that kind of thing, so I don't feel like an Aspie at all. Usually people guess that I have ADD or ADHD anyway, but nobody's ever guessed that I have Asperger's. I want to change the diagnosis.

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 4:54 pm

skibum wrote:
mmcool wrote:
skibum wrote:
You are 18 and own 2 companies?

And you are looking for jobs?

I don't understand.

Yes I am looking for a job.
Why are you looking for a job if you own companies?

they do not make much money at all.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 5:12 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I want to get rid of my diagnosis too. I keep hearing terrifying things on the internet about people with Autism being thrown an asylum at some point in years to come, and so I want the ASD diagnosis off my medical records so that they can't track me down and throw me into one of those,

I don't think they can or will do that.

And what if you only has been autistic, but now you've 'grown out' of it?

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 5:27 pm

mmcool wrote:
OJani wrote:
mmcool wrote:
OJani wrote:
mmcool wrote:

getting meals regularly without making the arrangements, preparing the meal, or paying the bill? I can cook vary well but do not pay the bills here apart from £5 per year tv lincince.
being constantly supervised, at least for 'your own security', or for immediate help when one might be in need? nope as no funding is given for staff but help is available if needed.

To my standards, that pretty much means you're institutionalized for the time being. I guess not living independently doesn't help with getting rid of your diagnosis. (Sorry I have to say that.)

But, never say never.

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 6:10 pm

OJani wrote:
mmcool wrote:
OJani wrote:
mmcool wrote:
OJani wrote:
mmcool wrote:

To my standards, that pretty much means you're institutionalized for the time being. I guess not living independently doesn't help with getting rid of your diagnosis. (Sorry I have to say that.)

But, never say never.

Can it not been found that the residential place was never needed?

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 4:40 pm

mmcool wrote:
OJani wrote:
mmcool wrote:
OJani wrote:
mmcool wrote:
OJani wrote:
mmcool wrote:

But, never say never.

Can it not been found that the residential place was never needed?

I'm not sure I'm helping you with my answers. Perhaps you should ask someone more knowledgeable, who lives closer to you. My opinion is that if you've led an independent life for a few years, then records do not matter. Still, you can make the giant leap, if you are at the right place at the right time. In other words, it worth trying. (and never late)