Do you think it's possible to *ignore* loneliness?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 12:15 am

I think, yes, but it's so variable and contextual... e.g. instead of actually interacting with anyone IRL, I interact with NPCs! (Well, you see, these sprites stuck in video games... unless programmed otherwise they actually can't escape my obsessiveness! Muahaha...)

But... well, yes, sometimes I notice that the whole point of interaction (information, really) is fulfilled in such virtual exchanges... and although I don't end up in bleak rumination, I still also notice that something is missing... but, there's nothing better than anime and RPGs, right? Not even a boyfriend, muahaha... or not. Well, apples and oranges.

Like an experiment, in ten years' time I'd be interested to see what a person in relative isolation ends up like...

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 2:48 am

It's possible for me to ignore my loneliness when I'm alone by myself.
It's impossible for me to ignore my loneliness when I'm alone with other people.

ajpd1989
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 3:39 am

I once spent three weeks as a total recluse. I do not recall feeling particularly lonely.

I only feel lonely when I want to spend time with one of my friends but they're not available.

gaz34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Oct 2014, 12:20 pm

Mootoo wrote:
I think, yes, but it's so variable and contextual... e.g. instead of actually interacting with anyone IRL, I interact with NPCs! (Well, you see, these sprites stuck in video games... unless programmed otherwise they actually can't escape my obsessiveness! Muahaha...)

But... well, yes, sometimes I notice that the whole point of interaction (information, really) is fulfilled in such virtual exchanges... and although I don't end up in bleak rumination, I still also notice that something is missing... but, there's nothing better than anime and RPGs, right? Not even a boyfriend, muahaha... or not. Well, apples and oranges.

Like an experiment, in ten years' time I'd be interested to see what a person in relative isolation ends up like...

What do you mean by "relative isolation"- relative to what?

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 2:46 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
It's possible for me to ignore my loneliness when I'm alone by myself.
It's impossible for me to ignore my loneliness when I'm alone with other people.

^This.

When I'm alone I can distract myself endlessly. When I'm around other people I feel what it is I'm missing.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 11:03 pm

I'm not sure I've ever felt lonely. I've only lived alone for short periods of time, though I've traveled alone, and most of the time I didn't have friends. I've felt left out and out of place (in a group), but that's not loneliness, is it, since I would have been perfectly happy at home by myself instead.

I'm actually wondering if someone can explain what it's like to be lonely, because I really don't know if I ever have been or am capable of it. I don't usually have trouble knowing what I'm feeling (though often no word seems to fit it), but this is one that confuses me.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 11:15 pm

In the short term, yes
In the long term, no

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 11:26 pm

I never feel lonely when I spend time a lone I love spending time a lone but I don't like it when I feel disconnected and uninvolved when I'm with a group of people it hurts me because I feel they're all together while I'm not even thought I'm also being with them but I'm being ignored mostly so it makes me feel so lonely