between one year ago and five years ago 10%  10%  [ 9 ]
more than five years ago 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
I don't remember 23%  23%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 87

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 9:42 am

I don't even remember when. Nothing seems to make me happy, ever.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 9:46 am

2 years ago, and it was the first time in my life I was ever really happy.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 9:46 am

I meant to have one more option in the poll; "I was never happy". If a mod could add that it would be good, thanks.

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jun 2014, 9:49 am

I don't remember either!

Certain things amuse me, certain things make me feel comfortable (like stroking my niece's cat), certain things pacify me temporarily, like eating seafood (my favourite dish)...

I don't know what 'happiness' is, really as there are so many gradations of it, it can be confused for another emotion like security or satisfaction.

I'd really like to know what true happiness feels like...

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 9:53 am

Actually now that I think about it I think I was kind of happy about a year ago when I had my spiritual awakening. I had something I guess is called Christ consciousness. But it only lasted briefly and then I was back to my old semi-depressed state, although changed as a person.

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jun 2014, 9:58 am

tomato wrote:
Actually now that I think about it I think I was kind of happy about a year ago when I had my spiritual awakening. I had something I guess is called Christ consciousness. But it only lasted briefly and then I was back to my old semi-depressed state, although changed as a person.

I was going to say exactly the same thing (I had a spiritual awakening 2 years ago), but seeing as how no lasting happiness was ever obtained from it and it just left me more 'emotionally numb/cold' than anything else, I didn't mention it.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 10:11 am

SoMissunderstood wrote:
tomato wrote:

I was going to say exactly the same thing (I had a spiritual awakening 2 years ago), but seeing as how no lasting happiness was ever obtained from it and it just left me more 'emotionally numb/cold' than anything else, I didn't mention it.
:P I think that it's a gift though, to be depressed or unhappy. That's what keeps you seeking spiritually. At least that's how it feels for me. In the past I just felt hopeless. Today I feel that depression is my inner guide speaking to me, although it only feels slightly more hopeful and my progress seems to be slow.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 10:20 am

About 4 years I took some LSD with some ecstasy, and I was certainly feeling quite happy for a few hours......lol ok truth be told can't really remember a time I was actually genuinely happy. But I have experienced euphoria which is like happiness through drugs more than once....and I find cannabis helps my sanity stay somewhat intact. Sometimes things like cats, dogs, being outside amoung the plants, trees and creatures that live outside or hanging out and actually doing something interesting or somewhat fun with people do make me feel more content than usual. Oh yes and I forgot thunder storms and concerts also improve my mood quite a bit...kind of hard to stay angry/upset/sad at a concert even if you show up that way at least in my experience.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 08 Jun 2014, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 11:33 am

tomato wrote:
SoMissunderstood wrote:
tomato wrote:

:P I think that it's a gift though, to be depressed or unhappy. That's what keeps you seeking spiritually. At least that's how it feels for me. In the past I just felt hopeless. Today I feel that depression is my inner guide speaking to me, although it only feels slightly more hopeful and my progress seems to be slow.

May you transition from depressed to deep rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPx0nN6aQj0
by Jeff Foster

he is a non-dualism/neo-Advaitan teacher

the suffering is an opportunity

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 11:52 am

Its been a long time since I have been genuinely happy. Certain things make me temporarily happy, but its short term "happiness." I did have a manic episode last year but it was induced by meds and a combination of meds. Things like technology I am extremely hopeful for, but when I look at my own life, dark storm clouds are directly over me. So since its hard to answer the question and I don't remember genuine happiness for a long time, I couldn't do the poll. I do know that the last time it was long term happiness but it was grandiose delusions was back in 2008.

wendigopsychosis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jun 2014, 12:04 pm

:( :( :( :( :(

I just wanted to reply to say I'm sending everyone in this thread happy thoughts and e-hugs. And that, as a person who's battled depression for almost 10 years now, it *is* possible to get out of that hole. I'm genuinely happy for the first time in a long time, and I was one of those people who thought I would never be happy. It feels amazing to be able to vote "within one day" on this poll and know it's the truth.

I would write some empty message about never giving up hope, finding the right SSRI or anti-anxiety, or finding the right therapist, or going out in the world and seeking your dreams. But I know that ish doesn't help when you're stuck in the depression merry-go-round. So, hugs. I'm sorry to all of you that don't feel happy, and don't know how to feel happy. I've been there. It really sucks

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 12:15 pm

Happiness is an extreme same goes with depression I'm content at where I'm at. Sure things could be better but on the other hand things could be a lot worse.

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 4:43 pm

Me neither. I can't think of a time I've ever been 'happy'. I don't actually seem to understand or feel emotions anyway as far as I can tell, except anxiety (think because it has physical symptoms). Have been suicidal for about as long as I can remember though, and that doesn't seem to fit with definitions of happiness I've come across.

FautheralLoather
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jun 2014, 5:27 pm

I don't really know, my life has been pure utter s**t for many many years. I am still surprised that I even made it this far.

I will be planning on killing myself soon though.

Awake
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2014, 5:35 pm

Today, after getting up out of bed, standing up, and making it up, because this means I am not in the bed, and I am alive and I can walk.
Today, when I got in a car and drove to get food and I was able to see , because I am not blind.
Today, after getting groceries and realizing I had seven different colors of fruits and vegetables...
red, orange, yellow, green, purple, brown and rainbow colored! Not only do I have seven different colors, but I have enough food to eat multiple times a day, and not go to bed hungry.
Today, when I played my cello, because I have one, after years and years of being without. My greatest passion went unfed for over 25 years, and I cannot even begin to describe the agony.
Today, because the greatest tragedy in my young life lifted an enormous, life long, soul sucking burden of PTSD and depression from my shoulders that I was incapable of extricating myself from, and now I know what Joy is.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 5:43 pm

I'm always happy.

Which kinda makes me feel guilty. Heh.