Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

TheSperg
Toucan
Toucan

26 Oct 2014, 2:15 am

I'll wake up knowing I only have an hour to get ready, let me make some coffee. Crap where is the plug for the kettle, gotta ask my wife ah hey that new episode of Doctor Who downloaded let me watch a few minutes.....

Oh CRAP I wasted 20 minutes here, what was I doing? Oh yea kettle plug "hon did you move the kettle plug?"

Ahh forget the coffee gotta shower and where the heck is my wash cloth? Probably in the washing machine.

On my way there my kid stops me and I pay with him for a few minutes.

Wait what was I doing oh s**t coffee, no wait shower, AWWWWWGGRRRRHHH.

Is this executive dysfunction?

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 2:29 am

A rough guess but I'd say so, provided that what you experience (not exactly in that fashion) has been a chronic occurrence.

It has been a long time since I read up on executive functions, but I would assume it's a deficit tied in with planning (common in autism) and/or working memory.

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 2:35 am

Sounds like it's a big factor.

It's for this reason I live alone, have rigid adherence
to routines. Consequently, I know where everything is.
My greatest success (Functioning in the world)
has come at a cost though, as it has set up neural
pathways through over compensation that have
resulted in extreme OCD.

In the past I would pray just to me messy and disorganised
have a wife and conventional home life. However, I am
learning to be more messy, late, and generally more human
like yourself.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 2:37 am

quaker wrote:
Sounds like it's a big factor.

It's for this reason I live alone, have rigid adherence
to routines. Consequently, I know where everything is.
My greatest success (Functioning in the world)
has come at a cost though, as it has set up neural
pathways through over compensation that have
resulted in extreme OCD.

In the past I would pray just to me messy and disorganised
have a wife and conventional home life. However, I am
learning to be more messy, late, and generally more human
like yourself.

That actually reminds me of my own experience.

I always had notable problems with set-shifting, and that is what I suspect causes obsession with OCD (at least partially).

Perhaps difficulty switching task, is the reason OP finds himself 'wasting' time.

More likely, it is a combination of functions that are not performing correctly.

TheSperg
Toucan
Toucan

26 Oct 2014, 3:03 am

Norny wrote:
A rough guess but I'd say so, provided that what you experience (not exactly in that fashion) has been a chronic occurrence.

It has been a long time since I read up on executive functions, but I would assume it's a deficit tied in with planning (common in autism) and/or working memory.

Lifelong occurrence that used to be so bad I could lose hours of time, or was always late.

I think the problem is I have a set routine, when it gets disrupted say by missing objects my brain just goes fuzzy. I also have a big problem with switching tasks, which is why I like to have a set time to respond to business emails etc.

Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 5:43 am

if you recognize those patterns but aren't able to correct them, perhaps.

i had this problem, i set my alarm 15 minutes earlier. seems to help a lot. but i'm still rushing for the time clock some days.

but keep in mind, legitimate executive dysfunction does exist, and it's a nightmare to cope with. i've known people who cannot even push themselves to take a shower, or get a job. or execute basic life skills in general. you could just be a struggling caffeine addict. until i have my morning joe, i'm typically useless. if you ask me, i would assume this to be correct of you as well.

Last edited by 886 on 26 Oct 2014, 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 6:34 am

I don?t know if that?s executive dysfunction, but boy do I recognize myself in this.

Just yesterday I was gonna post something on here, then I thought I?d mention something I had seen in a YouTube video.
I opened YouTube and saw a recommended video. I watched it, then I clicked on another. Then I decided to listen to some Creepypasta.
Then I got an email about a topic notification, so I checked it out then I started to think of a reply in that thread, then re-decided and browsed the forum instead.
One thread made me go to another site, then I wanted to search for something, and jot down some info. I closed that fan and I went back to the WP page I originally had opened, and then I remembered why I had opened YouTube in the first place and I went back there and watched some more videos.
Then I remembered the thread again, but decided to post without the video.

This happens all the time. I don?t know if it?s executive dysfunction or procrastination, but either way I?m extremely inefficient when not in hyperfocus.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Last edited by Skilpadde on 26 Oct 2014, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 7:36 am

I have the same problems. I get up in plenty of time to do all the things I need to do to be ready to go to work in the morning, but I'm chronically late. I struggle tremendously and I don't know how or where I'm "losing time." It's a serious problem that actually has me having physiological panic attacks (I mean a true, real panic attack, not just using that term colloquially) and I've cried angry tears about my own chronic inability to fix this.

I've found it DOES help to have everything ready and laid out the previous night -- do I have a clean mug and plate for breakfast, have I picked out my clothing right down to underwear and put them all in a readily available stack, do I have what I need for work fully prepared, etc.

It helps to make the morning go smoother but STILL something goes wrong somewhere. And all it takes is for me to function badly with that "night before" preparation ritual also, and I'm back where I started. I have bad enough executive functioning issues that it's affecting my life.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 10:26 am

Yes, that's executive dysfunction. You might try reading about the experiences of people who have ADHD; your description reminds me of that kind of impairment and you could probably pick up some useful tips.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 12:12 pm

Sounds like it could be....I know i struggle with that quite a lot, I am also great at losing whatever I just had in my hand within the two minutes of losing it.