Being upset by things that aren't black/white?

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2014, 6:54 am

calstar2 wrote:
This is something that doesn't sound like it would be that impacting in my life, but it has led to many late night hysterics due to frustration and it prevents me from being able to discuss a lot of things at an intellectual level...
... I believe in absolute morality because I have to believe in absolute morality. It's the only way that I'm able to make sense of myself and the world.

I have found that the drug seroquel has helped me to fight through into the grey area. I am now able to mentally process two opposing and mutually exclusive viewpoints and not lose it. But no drug is 100% and I still struggle.
You many want to avoid getting into discussions of these morally absolute topics with your friends. They may wonder why you are becoming worked up over what to them are abstractions and not crucial.
I know for myself I used to get drawn into arguments because I thought it was crucial to my own understanding of reality that others accept my viewpoint as "the truth." But I've learned that other peoples differing viewpoints have not shattered my world. It still exists in me.