Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Shadowcat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Oct 2014, 12:09 am

Why are Neurotypicals are taught that Their Opinions are Right, but People who have Autism or Other Disabilities, are taught Facts are Right?

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 12:26 am

Nt's have this sort of power-play game they like to play to pit there ego's ageist each other. Why they like to play this game on a subject that the fact's are known on. I don't know. It feels like they want to not believe is true for some reason.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 7:06 am

Arrogance

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 7:17 am

Usually NTs have the upper hand. It frustrates me too. For example:-

Aspie is reading a book for a long time. NT wants to read the book, but Aspie says she is not finished. NT kind of pulls the book away to read it. Aspie gets upset and thinks NT is being rude. Then Aspie is told that she is hogging the book and NT wants to read it now.

NT is reading a book for a long time. Aspie wants to read the book, but NT says he is not finished. Aspie kind of pulls the book away to read it. NT gets upset and thinks Aspie is being rude. Then Aspie is told that she must wait for NT to finish with the book before she can have a go, no matter how long NT is taking to read it.

So whatever way round the situation is, the NT is always right. Really ticks me off. (And to remind you that both the NT and the Aspie have unlimited time with the book, so neither were in a rush).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 10:13 am

Just don't give the NT the book! Who cares what the NT thinks in this instance? It's your book!

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 11:32 am

I have never found that NTs are taught that their opinions are right and people with disabilities aren't, I don't know where you got that from its definitely not the case with everyone.

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 11:33 am

I don't understand the constant generalisation of NTs that happens on this forum, its ridiculous

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 11:40 am

Joe90 wrote:

Aspie is reading a book for a long time. NT wants to read the book, but Aspie says she is not finished. NT kind of pulls the book away to read it. Aspie gets upset and thinks NT is being rude. Then Aspie is told that she is hogging the book and NT wants to read it now.

NT is reading a book for a long time. Aspie wants to read the book, but NT says he is not finished. Aspie kind of pulls the book away to read it. NT gets upset and thinks Aspie is being rude. Then Aspie is told that she must wait for NT to finish with the book before she can have a go, no matter how long NT is taking to read it.

So whatever way round the situation is, the NT is always right. Really ticks me off. (And to remind you that both the NT and the Aspie have unlimited time with the book, so neither were in a rush).

Nailed it. This is a huge problem my daughter is facing. Her school seems to think every little behavior and every little thing she does is induced by her autism AND needs to be tackled and fixed now. I've told them repeatedly, that will get them no where FAST. The main focus needs to be 1) staying calm in class and 2) doing the work in class, or at least most of it. I really could give two squirts of lemonade if she fidgets or stims in class or whines about doing the work as long as she does it. Those aren't things that need to be stopped and in fact they shouldn't be as it would only stress her out. But anyway other kids get away with making their own noises, whispering, whining, whatever. But if she makes her noise? Different story. That scenario with the book has played out many times at school (only with other things like maybe it was a ball during recess) where she gets in trouble and other kids don't. It's murder on all of us because social justice and fairness are triggers for her. When it happens, she spends the rest of the school day melting down in the sensory room. And no one THERE understands why.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 5:22 pm

franknfurter wrote:
I don't understand the constant generalisation of NTs that happens on this forum, its ridiculous

When you've encountered enough ignorant ones and ones who are ableists, then you will understand it.

I trust VERY few neurotypicals.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 5:31 pm

Joe90 wrote:

Yes, this is the expression of hierarchy that is so clearly visible when observing baboons, but then somehow NTs cannot seem to see this in their own behaviors.

I want to quote something relevant from JBW from another thread.

Quote:
Humans are mainly special in their ability to consciously ignore physical reality, even to the extent where it threatens human existence on the planet. Humans have a lot to learn from other species.

Someone who serves hierarchy and believes in their imaginary place within it feel an automatic superiority over those who do not serve hierarchy, - another term for serving identity, and/or serving the hive.