Wanting to see someone irl to see body language?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2014, 10:14 am

Hi all, this is a random question. For at least the last couple years (can't really remember prior to that), I have always needed to see someone in person, in order to gauge their reaction to something. For example, I don't really like texting or emailing because I can never tell if someone is being sarcastic, serious, rude etc etc. Obviously, I can tell those things by hearing them speak (in person). Here's an example, when I am having a conversation with someone irl, then I can immediately tell by their body language and facial expressions, whether they are being serious or not. Now I know that body language is not suppose to be one of our things that we are good at, but I think that I may have become good at it, because of the horrible relationships my mother was in- I could walk into a room and immediately tell whether or not a fight was going to happen that night. So, my question is: am I the only Aspie who prefers to have a conversation with someone irl, or is that an adaptation I have had, (because of my childhood and mother's history with violent men)?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2014, 10:16 am

It's natural to want contact with people "in real life."

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2014, 11:13 am

Is it natural for us? I have seen multiple posts oh here where individuals complain because their NT friends want to meet them in real life. Many people on here have no desire to meet people in real life.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2014, 11:18 am

nyxjord wrote:
For at least the last couple years (can't really remember prior to that), I have always needed to see someone in person, in order to gauge their reaction to something. For example, I don't really like texting or emailing because I can never tell if someone is being sarcastic, serious, rude etc etc.

It is fully possible to read someone's emotions in text. And just like with body language it's easier the better you know them.

nyxjord wrote:
am I the only Aspie who prefers to have a conversation with someone irl, or is that an adaptation I have had, (because of my childhood and mother's history with violent men)?

I certainly prefer written contact with anyone but first degree family. It's so much easier for me to write than to talk, and I can take the time I need to formulate my response.
Edit: also, I think it's possible your ability to read the situation in your home was down to needing to (because you needed to know), and knowing them very well. It's always easier to read those you know. I have seen the claim on here that we are particularly good at getting negative signals and there is truth to that for me at least.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765