Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

LivingwithASD
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Sep 2016, 11:52 pm

Hi there,

I'm new and just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Laura, I'm 16 and I live in the UK. I have recently been diagnosed with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder)/Autism, and seeing as I have had a 2 year long battle with "anxiety" and "depression" when it wasn't that at all, which led to multiple suicide attempts and admissions to psychiatric units but now I am almost discharged from my 4th and last admission, where I received this diagnosis, it has literally saved my life! I'm a happy confident person and I am proud to have ASD. It's part of what makes me, me! I can't wait to meet more people with ASD and similar conditions

Laura :)

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 1:47 am

Welcome abord.

What an excellent call your unit made exploring possibility of Autsim Spectrum as an underlying cause.

In my own case, while tendencies to anxiety which gave me two bad depressive episodes in my past don't go away, the knowledge I have since acquired about How the autistic brain can handle things has helped me hugely when any such episodes arise, as I am now aware of the thought patterns which feed them, as as a result I can ride them out

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 2:42 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I am glad you life is going so much better.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 10:47 am

Welcome! Glad you're doing better now after the diagnosis.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 10:57 am

Hi! Welcome to WrongPlanet, it's nice to meet you :D

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 11:13 am

LivingwithASD wrote:
...I have had a 2 year long battle with "anxiety" and "depression" when it wasn't that at all, which led to multiple suicide attempts and admissions to psychiatric units....

I was misdiagnosed at age 15-20 years with five various depression disorders (none of which was correct, but was probably an approximation by the diagnosticians who hadn't a clue about mild autism). A couple years ago, another diagnostician admitted to me that "when individuals ask if they are autistic, and we can't see proof of it, we just diagnose them with some kind of anxiety." Then, she diagnosed me with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Gee, thanks.

A year later, I was diagnosed by the Autism Spectrum Clinic at my university. The diagnosticians there actually apologized for the prior mistaken diagnoses made by their professional colleagues. Wow! Even they realize that proper autism diagnoses are, too often, just guesses by those diagnosticians who don't know how autistic adults present their behaviors and characertistics.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 12:16 pm

Hi, I'm Pieplup!