People in my sociology class are a joke

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LastSanityJermaine
Raven
Raven

02 Nov 2014, 12:50 am

It seems more and more obvious that nearly everyone in my sociology class is only there because they're required to. There seems to be a lot of anti-intellectualism in there as only 4-5 people including me only talk everyone else just tries to sit in the back so they don't get caught using their phones.

I pray none of these people become social workers, psychologist or anything similar because they're too narrow minded. A girl that barely contributes to class got offended because I used the word "ret*d" (I used it properly but she is clearly a Politically correct social justice warrior and I've observed a lot of things she said and she is a person who certainly has no right to criticize others). She started calling me disrespectful and how ignorant I am of how some people in this class may have mentally disabled love ones.

I'm just sitting hear thinking "Oh man I'd love to tear this **** apart, she clearly knows nothing about me, I can easily make a fool of her and show how she is a hypocritical and self righteous."

Some guy said to me "I know you're smart but can you please stop talking in class we already know you're intelligent, no need to be a smart ass." so now apparently contributing to class discussion which is REQUIRED is now bad. For a moment I just felt like roasting the entire class. At this point in my life so much stuff has happened to me I have developed incredibly thick skin even using empathy I can't find any reason to justify these peoples' actions. This is why I'm perfectly okay with being hated and ostracized most people are not worth my time.

GlennBecksTears
Raven
Raven

02 Nov 2014, 1:37 am

I think you're taking it too seriously.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2014, 1:55 am

there is a reason the bible mentions longsuffering. it makes for civil relations which in its absence could easily deteriorate into rank contention or worse.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2014, 1:55 am

Sorry, but having Asperger's or knowing someone who has special needs doesn't grant you immunity using the "R" word.

If you're using it as a substitute for stupid, try thinking of another word. We're in the year 2014, people are no longer referred to being "ret*d", they are referred as; a person with special needs, a person with a disability, etc.

elkclan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2014, 3:05 am

If you used it as a noun it's not cool.

If you used it as a verb - as in to 'ret*d development' or 'ret*d growth' - you're ok.

I think you should probably take a cue from your classmates that you are talking too much in class and dominating conversations. Maybe they're not participating because you're taking up too much conversational space???

Also I wouldn't worry about what OTHER people are doing in class, unless they're being obviously disruptive. You're not the licensing board for social workers...

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2014, 4:07 am

I don't care what context you used the "R" word; you don't get any sympathy from me. You need to grow up and learn a bit of humility, if you're going to get anywhere in this world.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2014, 9:49 am

ret*d. ret*d. ret*d.
Not calling anyone it.
But making a point.
Just because you fear a word doesn't give you or anyone else the right to dictate it's usage. Don't be so nonsensical. There is a right and wrong way for language to be altered. The arbitrary banning of words is the wrong way.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2014, 9:51 am

The people in your sociology class are jokes. Society is a joke. A sick and cruel one, but a joke nevertheless. It is as hilarious as it is horrifying.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2014, 11:41 am

andrethemoogle wrote:
Sorry, but having Asperger's or knowing someone who has special needs doesn't grant you immunity using the "R" word.

If you're using it as a substitute for stupid, try thinking of another word. We're in the year 2014, people are no longer referred to being "ret*d", they are referred as; a person with special needs, a person with a disability, etc.

I agree. There are a variety of other words to use. I feel that the "R" word is a very hurtful word to use this day in age.

On the other hand, maybe I'm too vapid to get where you're coming from.

LastSanityJermaine
Raven
Raven

02 Nov 2014, 12:16 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:

I keep forgetting to use the term intellectual disability. I was actually using it to its proper medical condition. But either way it is people themselves that have turned it into a derogatory word, whats next in a couple of years am I going to get flamed for using the word Autistic proper just because some ignorants on the internet decide to use it as an insult.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2014, 12:18 pm

The OP is trying to have it both ways: chastise his classmates for not participating,, AND chastising one classmate FOR participating, but for not doing so in a way he likes -or agrees with.

On the other hand: I dunno about the R word.

The kid who grew up across the street from me who had downs syndrome, and a less than cutoff IQ was .... mentally ret*d. Thats what he was. His sibling and parents knew thats what he was. So thats what you would call him.

And the R word is itsself a euphemism.

So I dont object to a clinically accurate usage of the world as a noun, or adjective.

But I have to survive in public as well.

So would I use the word (even accurately) in a public forum like a classroom?
Probably not. I would probably use the phrase "mentally challenged" if I had to label someone like the kid who grew up across the street from me when I was a kid.

LastSanityJermaine
Raven
Raven

02 Nov 2014, 12:42 pm

elkclan wrote:
If you used it as a noun it's not cool.

If you used it as a verb - as in to 'ret*d development' or 'ret*d growth' - you're ok.

I think you should probably take a cue from your classmates that you are talking too much in class and dominating conversations. Maybe they're not participating because you're taking up too much conversational space???

Also I wouldn't worry about what OTHER people are doing in class, unless they're being obviously disruptive. You're not the licensing board for social workers...

I used it properly but I realized I should of said intellectually disabled or specially abled but it was too late. Take me out of it and only 3-4 people talk, notice I'm in a class of about 30 people and the class is 3 hours long. And the 3-4 people that talk are the same people that have talked since the beginning of class, besides that accident I have carefully thought out anything that may offend or disturb people and so far none of it has I think it's the curse that surrounds me.
And it isn't just this class its also others like moving images(film) and English where its always the same 3-4 people that contribute to class discussion while everyone else is just spectating. Someone in the moving images class called out everyone who was clearly only their because they're required to why they're not contributing or at least reading the required assignments because its movies for crying out loud. I have the feeling if I was the one to do it I would get flamed. This is how it always has been my life, there is always some sort of double standard that I happen to be in the negative for even if I'm trying to be sincere, when some classmates complained about some of the film books being expensive I suggested to them to buy the nook/kindle versions as they're much cheaper and I can rip them a copy if they'd like, apparently they took offense to that :(

Is this what my parents paid $250 a week in social skill classes for me to get?

GlennBecksTears
Raven
Raven

02 Nov 2014, 1:07 pm

Too be fair I always thought I was the smartest person in the room at age 18...

GlennBecksTears
Raven
Raven

02 Nov 2014, 1:08 pm

Also, yeah what's already been said: just don't use "ret*d." Will never go well.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2014, 2:39 pm

You might consider that the other class members want to hear what the professor has to say, because that is going to be on the test, versus what YOU have to say, which will not. You're not helping them get an education with your endless "participation".

Don't be this guy: http://www.theonion.com/articles/guy-in ... k-up,1804/

LastSanityJermaine
Raven
Raven

02 Nov 2014, 3:06 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:
You might consider that the other class members want to hear what the professor has to say, because that is going to be on the test, versus what YOU have to say, which will not. You're not helping them get an education with your endless "participation".

Don't be this guy: http://www.theonion.com/articles/guy-in ... k-up,1804/

It's not like that, the professor ASK for any insight from us when he is done talking, and out of the 4-5 people that actually talk, I talk the least, I'm just pissed that I'm getting targeted most of the time as if everyone hates me. Plus he hands out copies of his lecture at the end of every class so you can simply go over it along with a powerpoint in the background while he lectures.

I don't see the two guys in Moving images class who are obsessed with film getting targeted because they speak the most during class. I am far from the guy in the link but thanks for showing so I can avoid being him.

I guess realized I am still very different from everyone despite being taught social skills for the last 2 years. I'll just keep my mouth shut no matter what and let the other 3 people do the discussions in class. Otherwise if the class targets me again I may have a violent meltdown.