Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 10:03 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
KITT, Turbo Boost, now!

turbo won't magically make sufficient gaps in the oncoming traffic stream that otherwise defeats passing. that is where the magic carpet technology comes in Image
the moller 400 skycar can't come soon enough!

Oh, 'turbo boost' on Knight Rider made his car jump. Looking back the name of the button bugs me, but I digress... :P

then I suppose my reflexes would have to keep up- maybe a useful new technology would be a wetware/hardware sync link between KITT and its human driver. or if KITT would do it hyper-intelligently and automatically without driver input.

KITT could drive himself.
And talk.

Damn, now I wanna watch Knight Rider. :oops:

God, you guys are taking me down memory lane. That was a sweet show.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 10:58 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
The fastest I've ever driven myself was 197kmh. The fastest I've ever been in a car was riding shotgun @ 280kmh.

Wow, what were you in that was going 280km/h?
My 600hp race car in rFactor (racing sim) has a hard time hitting 280 with the gearing, aero and boost settings I use on most tracks. Usually at Watkins Glen I hit 275-280km/h approaching the Outer Loop.

auntblabby wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Sometimes, but I find I'm a much calmer driver these days than ever. The fastest I've ever driven myself was 197kmh. The fastest I've ever been in a car was riding shotgun @ 280kmh.

what kind of car went that fast?

2003 BMW M5 6spd w/ no speed limiter. It wouldn't go any faster because the clutch started to slip a bit. We replaced the clutch a short while after that - but I haven't been in the car since. I bet with the new clutch & headers it'll hit 300kmh now. But I don't think the owner has ever driven it that fast again since. It was sort of a one time thing.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 11:00 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
2003 BMW M5 6spd w/ no speed limiter. It wouldn't go any faster because the clutch started to slip a bit. We replaced the clutch a short while after that - but I haven't been in the car since. I bet with the new clutch & headers it'll hit 300kmh now. But I don't think the owner has ever driven it that fast again since. It was sort of a one time thing.

fortunate no smokeys came near. or mishaps.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 11:01 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

Sounds fun. Kinda makes me think of Wangan Midnight.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 11:11 pm

auntblabby wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

fortunate no smokeys came near. or mishaps.

In many places cops won't bother chasing you if you're over a certain speed. A cop car simply can't accelerate fast enough to bother initiating a chase against a car that can go 250+ km/h.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2014, 12:33 am

It's a thrill. Sometimes I just gun it 90~95 if I'm in the middle of nowhere (no cops or other drivers for that matter). When I'm driving normally I speed 5 to 10 over.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 12:46 am

nothing can outrun a radio or a helicopter.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 1:04 am

auntblabby wrote:
nothing can outrun a radio or a helicopter.

You can't outrun a helicopter (usually), but unless the helicopter is close to start with it's going to take awhile to arrive. If you're close to home or somewhere safe, especially if you're in the middle of nowhere, you're likely to get away before support arrives. If one isn't clear pretty quickly it's over.

Street racers occasionally outrun cops, especially if there's several racers and one cruiser, practically no one else does.

I've heard cops quoted in a few articles commenting that they don't bother to chase crotch-rocket bikes if they pass a speed trap at high speed because they can't catch them. It's fair to assume the same attitude is given towards cars that perform similarly.

In different areas there's different engagement rules because of the public safety hazard posed by chases, especially since unless you're anticipating being chased they can just take a picture of your plate and deal with you later.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2014, 3:31 am

I like driving.

I like to do epic journeys. I once drove from St Catharines Ontario to Boston, for pizza. Two years ago I drove from Edmonton Alberta to St Catharines Ontario and back in 9 days. I drove 12,300 kilometers in 12 days and never left the province of alberta. I lived with another human being in a tent and a 1984 honda civic hatch for 6 weeks in BC just camping and traveling, on that trip I went from Kamloops BC through Calgary onto South Edmonton on one tank of fuel, 7 hours(should have been 9..) loaded with camping gear and two power/leather/heated seats from a Yukon Denali (so comfy) and a full stereo system with 12" sub.... Got home to find the previous owner had installed the clutch disk backwards and we had driven the whole trip with zero fluid in the transmission as the clutch has shoved out the seals...

I dont care for driving fast as much as I like the acceleration.

I like to drive spiritedly on the backroads. Everyone around here does.

I never speed on the highway or surface streets. The only time I may blip the throttle on the highway is to pass a bigrig. Up here almost every rig is either a B or a C train. Most are hauling flammables. I tend to zap past those. Other than that I never speed on surface streets, only out in the country in the middle of nowhere.

Current vehicles are:

1986 Honda Civic hatch. 1.3L 5spd. NEW Porsche Arctic Silver paint. It was a Hondamatic till I took the engine and trans from my crashed 84 (I didnt crash it) and swapped them into my 86. The engine that was swapped in came out of a wreckers and the tag on it said it had 658,000kilometers on it :D I have put at least another 150,000 HAAAARD kilometers on it. Still runs, mostly (old carb high idle issue) Almost everything on it is new or refurbished. The trans came from a donor car... which had been used by skater kids for a while.. so no second gear syncro... timing is everything until I fix that... it has a shiny new stage 2 Centerforce clutch though... new flywheel, new bearings... two new sets of tires, one for summer and a studded set for winter. I have the original engine with 192,000 kilometers if I ever pop this one. Lets see, I made semi-solid motor mounts for it. The shift linkage bushing are failing so I ordered a Ultra High Molecular Weight Polypropylene shifter bushing kit for it, custom kit, only one guy on the planet makes them. Its not like my Civic is one of them new fangled ones with fuel injection and hoitytoity uber kewl suspension...

When I hit 5th you can hear the shifter buzzing and rattling : http://youtu.be/YAejR-DK1wM On gravel: http://youtu.be/0SyFYSkUmEc The blipping of the throttle? Heavy clutch.... P.S. This is on the backroads in the country trying to force the car to replicate a high idle problem.

The other ride is the tow vehicle. 6.6L Duramax 3500 1 ton Express van with a HUGE HERD bumper on the front, CB radio, Running boards, 3000watt inverter, dual backup batteries, Largish AV system.

Towing a heavy travel trailer through the mountains in BC http://youtu.be/EgTuXAJU0b0 http://youtu.be/LfISznRmvGw

Getting air while towing a trailer up a mountain highway into the clouds http://youtu.be/liJaAgQn91E (that bump hurt)

Last edited by MarthaCannary on 04 Nov 2014, 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 4:02 am

^^^
wow, you must have a lot of $$$$$$ to have all that.

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2014, 4:31 am

auntblabby wrote:
^^^
wow, you must have a lot of $$$$$$ to have all that.

I cannot tell if you are joking or not.

No real vices. Time. No more mortgage.

Make smart choices.

Anyone else would have bought a diesel truck. We bought the van because its practical for what we are doing with it. Towing the trailer to the mountains, keeping the cats and their litter and food warm and dry, keeping my mining equipment secure and being cheap on fuel. The van did not come with any bells or whistles other than air conditioning and the huge diesel engine. We added everything else.

As for the car... If you are willing to learn to do the work and unwilling to listen to people tell you that you cannot do the work because of XYZ reason, having a nice old car is not really that hard. To be honest, I have enough spare parts to build two other cars. just because I bought a couple of parts cars for cheap and stripped them. The bodywork and paint I did not have to do this time thankfully other than mild prep... it was a student project at the local trades college where my SO used to work. I did do the bodywork and paint on my last car though.

90% of vehicle cost is repair labor. Most mechanics around here are $150/hour plus parts. Do the repairs yourself and vehicles get real cheap to own. Be reasonable with vehicle choice and it gets cheaper. My car is childsplay to work on and millions were sold so the used parts market used to be pretty good, not so much anymore.

All my stuff is usually used. My car, its 28 years old..... The van, bought sight unseen from Kijiji in another city. It was an American van imported to Canada somehow. Great deal. Rare vehicle.

I work and save. I just spent $1700 on new computer stuff... I had not bought a new system for 4 years, I saved my pesos and bought the bits I needed, new this time because I felt like spoiling myself. It should last me another 4-5 years with an upgrade here and there. But I saved for it. I build it and do my own OS and software install as well.

Put it this way, I do not have bad credit, but I do not have good credit either. I have no credit history. No real assets.

I want something, I save, I pay cash. Just the way I have always been.

2:30AM! To be continued..

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

04 Nov 2014, 4:38 am

I don't drive and I can't say I particularly like being in a car going fast, I'm just not a risk taker like that.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 4:39 am

not joking, it just seemed to me all that automotive enjoyment cost some serious coin. my brother is the same way [mechanically inclined and an automotive enthusiast] and he spends a bunch on the iron and ancillaries.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 4:44 am

I've always been a better passenger than a driver. I drive because I live out in the sticks and there is no public transit out here, so to get groceries I must drive about 40 minutes into town. wish they'd open a supermarket out here. maybe by the time I push up the daisies they will finally get around to it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 8:10 am

Classical music has an ebb and flow which popular music doesn't have. It could, indeed, lead to "lead foot."

I tend to drive about 5-10 mph over the speed limit on highways; otherwise, I'd be honked to high heaven.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 9:16 am

When I was younger, yes. There were a few rally routes that I informally enjoyed, but how I drove depended on the road, the car and its handling. Nowadays I?m a leisurely driver. I'm rarely comfortable as a passenger. :)