Are you sensitive to social media or a lot of information?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Nov 2014, 7:06 pm

I can barely handle any modern technology because it triggers me.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 7:25 pm

campboy92 wrote:

Yes and no. I am very selective in what information i expose myself to.

I don't do social media, I analyze too much and then I get annoyed by the seeming irrationality of people.

But that could be said to be irrational in itself.

I skip through newspapers and that only once or twice a week. If I don't read them I have no clue what is in the news. Been caught out a few times with big news that did matter so I try to keep up a little.

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Nov 2014, 7:30 pm

guzzle wrote:
campboy92 wrote:

Yes and no. I am very selective in what information i expose myself to.

I don't do social media, I analyze too much and then I get annoyed by the seeming irrationality of people.

But that could be said to be irrational in itself.

I skip through newspapers and that only once or twice a week. If I don't read them I have no clue what is in the news. Been caught out a few times with big news that did matter so I try to keep up a little.

I need to be more selective, thank you.

A picture has so much information, that it is so difficult to look at for me.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 9:03 pm

Yes I'm very sensitive to it, that said though I still spend a lot of time online just taking in information.

I really can't handle being on sites like FB that much because the sheer volume of information and posts is just overwhelming. Good grief I don't need to know where someone ate lunch or how many miles they ran in the morning. I can barely keep up with my own self much less keep up with other people's comings and goings.

I don't watch the news. I don't watch broadcast tv at all unless I'm stuck in the same room with someone else watching it. My grandfather watches the news for hours on end and it drives me nuts. I get really jittery and agitated if I have to be in the room with a tv on for that long.

Technology in general really frustrates me, I mean it is fine as long as it's working like it's supposed to, but when something goes wrong it's such a pain. My computer got screwed up recently and I got frustrated as hell trying to fix it. I thought I was going to have to buy a new one, and then got even more frustrated trying to research different models. I didn't know what would send me over the edge faster, trying to troubleshoot my old one or understand the latest technology. Same with the HDTVs now and all the different options they come with. It just gives me a headache trying to figure it all out. I don't want to live in a digital world, I think analog is much better.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

14 Nov 2014, 9:20 pm

It's strange how I can just write away like it is no big deal, and if someone messages me back on here, my heart drops. It is actually a little difficult. It goes away rather quickly, and I just go at it again. Kinda like that feeling when I look over a cliff. Little anxiety I guess. The news makes me very uneasy. I'm good at toughing it out, or shutting down to the point where nobody notices. People actually think I'm tough, and fearless sometimes, when I'm actually scared out of my whits!! !

YarnMonster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Nov 2014, 10:29 pm

i'm quickly learning to limit some sites/input.

pinterest- no problem. look at things pretty to me.

facebook- nightmare. emotional bs heartstring posts, fights, faces of ppl i dont know. im going to go once or twice a week, max now.

local news- horrible. not news just clickbait. i'll check live radar if severe weather- otherwise no way.

broadcast tv- abslutely not. not even for supernatural that i really enjoy. commercials hurt me. physical pain of the pushy societal bs, beauty industry, people yelling tv shows, cars that the cost could feed a village for a year. it hurts to watch them.

sites i like- catalogs of things i like, lists of episode errata, noaa, pinterest, craft sites. oh and youtube for my 'shows'

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 12:03 am

My mind gets overloaded if I soak in too much information or if there is too much excitement around a topic, so I tend to keep the information I take in low the majority of the time.

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Nov 2014, 12:18 am

andrethemoogle wrote:
My mind gets overloaded if I soak in too much information or if there is too much excitement around a topic, so I tend to keep the information I take in low the majority of the time.

Me too

ECJ
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2014, 3:34 pm

I can get overloaded if I research something for too long without coming up with the answers I need.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 3:38 pm

YarnMonster wrote:
broadcast tv- abslutely not. not even for supernatural that i really enjoy. commercials hurt me. physical pain of the pushy societal bs, beauty industry, people yelling tv shows, cars that the cost could feed a village for a year. it hurts to watch them.

Yes yes yes. It really makes me hate the world when I watch that stuff.

The longer I go without watching tv, the more shocking and bizarre it is when I do watch it.

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Nov 2014, 3:43 pm

dianthus wrote:
YarnMonster wrote:

Yes yes yes. It really makes me hate the world when I watch that stuff.

The longer I go without watching tv, the more shocking and bizarre it is when I do watch it.

SO, you think it's ok - if I live without these things cause they hurt my brain?

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 4:00 pm

As someone who does watch tv, and who does use social media, etc, I still remember a time, when they used to be considered a vice. People would brag, a little too seriously, that they had something better to do.
I resemble the remarks about getting over-engaged, and I consider it ok to go without.

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Nov 2014, 4:11 pm

i see what u mean

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 4:34 pm

You're expected to bear the pressures of responsibility, or the emotional burdens, of all the characters in these stories, whether fictional or real. The same goes for musical lyrics. That's probably tens or hundreds of people.

What's left for yourself, or your own special interests?

Sometimes, I find myself, feeling uncomfortable and don't do anything about it. The room is stuffy, but I don't open a window. It's chilly, but I don't close the window. The rattling of a vent slowly unnerves me.

I think that media can be a source of stress, which is under our conscious control, yet sometimes we don't seize the initiative.

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Nov 2014, 4:43 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
You're expected to bear the pressures of responsibility, or the emotional burdens, of all the characters in these stories, whether fictional or real. The same goes for musical lyrics. That's probably tens or hundreds of people.

What's left for yourself, or your own special interests?

Sometimes, I find myself, feeling uncomfortable and don't do anything about it. The room is stuffy, but I don't open a window. It's chilly, but I don't close the window. The rattling of a vent slowly unnerves me.

I think that media can be a source of stress, which is under our conscious control, yet sometimes we don't seize the initiative.

Are you saying that there is good reason as to why I am the way I am? Do you mean that the reason I have this struggle cause I am so literal and I empathize with everything?

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 4:50 pm

I can become fairly irritable when everyone around me is staring at their phones too much. When I go fishing/hunting the natural rhythm, sounds, smells, and feelings cleanse my troubles. Everything feels real and vibrant again, instead of artificial, overcomplicated, and relational, everything out there just is what it is.

The longer I go losing touch with live things the more dead I feel inside. I can be a social person but I can't tolerate networking sites, and I require absolute solitude from time to time. City folk don't really understand the meaning of things like life and death, scent and sound driven adrenaline, or acute sensitivity to your immediate surroundings. Food is something that merely happens for them, they can't empathize with and appreciate a marvelous creature like the bull elk. They consume only selected parts of animals that sacrifice everything. Neither do they understand the value of shelter and the ever present concern of exposure to the elements. No, they just keep looking at their phones.