Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 4:46 am

I realize hotels are change - but I find something of a cocoon like comfort with a hotel room. Granted I just about always pull all the drapes shut and put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. But your basic hotel room kind of has everything you need very conveniently. There is a 24-hour coffee shop downstairs in the place I am staying. I have great Internet access and cable TV. Even though it is change from my regular place I live up in the hills and out in the country - it is highly predictable change.

For me it is just so cozy. If I win the lottery I think I will get a permanent hotel room somewhere.

- Albert Einstein

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 4:52 am

I like the minimalism of the room, the decor and the technology some have. The beds are normally very cosy with those crisp, firmly tucked sheets.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 5:11 am

I like hotels but not like sleeping in them. Compared to my home they're usually cleaner and neater. But I never sleep well in hotels, not even after a busy day. Like my last stay at a pretty decent hotel. We arrived on a pretty hot day. They have A/C of course, which is right next to my bed blowing and making loads of noises. I had to turn it off at night. Then I got too hot during the night because apparently they still use real down blanket in the middle of summer. I have an issue with down filled comforters, can't even use them in winter. My body gets overheated in no time. I much prefer those cheap polyester blankets hotels used to use (and actually washed).

Thank goodness my family don't like vacation much either so I don't have to suffer for more than a week per year.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 5:32 am

hotels are fun, motels not so much.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 6:49 am

I like hotels, but I don't like traveling.

I can take about 3-4 days away from home before I feel like I have to go back home or I will die.

The exception is when I am camping. Then I could stay away for more than a week!

For me, it is not so much about where I am sleeping as about what I am eating.

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 9:30 am

Meh. Hotels don't bother me, but I don't really enjoy them either.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 9:31 am

I hate hotels.

I hate the fake-useful furniture and bland decor. I dislike having to safeguard any things that I leave behind against the strangers

I like my room.

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 10:10 am

I guess for me hotels can seem like "hog heaven." I'm staying in one right now - Admittedly it is the first time I have stayed in a hotel in about two years. Of course, one has to be able to afford them. Because even a cheaper 3-star like hotel like I am staying in now is still kind of expensive (about $75.00 per night). But as long as one can afford it - it is so cool - to me anyway. It is after midnight here where I live and I had just ordered a grilled cheese sandwich, two eggs over easy and some ham to be delivered to my room Okay, it was a tad bit expensive - about $16.00 - but my does it make life cozy to not have to leave my room and have my needs catered to me. My idea of heaven would be living in a hotel room.

- Albert Einstein

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 11:43 am

Yes and no. I travel about 2-3 times a year. I go to Orlando about once a year for vacation and the other 1-2 times is ether going to a convention or being invited to speak at one. When I go to Orlando. I pick the cheapest hotels that are on the outskirts of town as they are not only the cheapest, but also the quietest as well. When I go to conventions. I try to get a room on the farest, highest point from all the activities. When I get invited to speak at one. I don't have much control of where they put me since they pretty much put you where ever they feel like, after all, they are paying for all your expenses to be there.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 12:15 pm

I like them as long as there's no bed bugs.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 12:29 pm

I never have had an occasion to sleep in an actual hotel - only pensions, motels or touristic shelters - so I can't say much but for now I don't like sleeping away from home. The beds are not comfortable (I have to take my own pillow because I am used to the ergonomic one and all sleep houses I visited had only regular pillows). I can't trust the bedding (sure, they wash the cover but whose sweat and other weird liquids are inside the futon filling?). And I have trouble sleeping or even focusing on anything while awake because I hear the footsteps on hall and in other rooms. The sounds around are nothing like the ones I hear at home.

It takes me 4 days or so to get used to the new environment. After this I can sleep soundly. But I still love returning to my own home, my own bed.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 1:17 pm

No, it isn't my bedroom!...or has my bathroom.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 1:24 pm

Yeah, staying in hotels is all right....as long as I get to have my Cars blanket and stuffed animals with me, along with my non-plush comfort items like Susie, Miss Important, Ingrid, and Penny Ling. I don't really like it if I don't get to choose which pajamas I want to wear, or if the room is too warm. I was once on a road trip with my mom, stepdad, and Pandy and Birdgirl (my half-sisters) and my mom brought in these fuzzy fleece long-sleeved pajamas for me to wear, and turned the heater on, thinking it would be cold....it wasn't. I felt like I was going to get heat frustration all night. I didn't have my Cars blanket or all my stuffed animals/comfort items, either (I was sharing a bed with Pandy and Birdgirl). It was such a relief to get out of bed the next morning, peel off my fuzzy pajamas and have a shower. I got to sleep in the car for a long time the next day, though, so no harm done. :)

Also, hotel beds sometimes feel kind of hard, and difficult to roll around in to get comfortable....I also feel like they have too many covers, since I'm used to sleeping only with my Cars blanket covering me....I've had it for years, and it's becoming threadbare, so it lets air circulate so I don't get too hot. I get hotter a lot easier than other people do. Hotel pillows also tend to be kind of smooshy, as well.

I've also found that a few hotels along the Gulf Coast (such as the ones my dad and I stay in when we visit family in Texas) tend to feel kind of damp...the air inside the rooms is stale, and the sheets feel kind of....wet. :eew:

I like having breakfast in the mornings, though.....I like the waffle makers, the cinnamon rolls, the donuts and muffins. :)

I know I've made it sound like I don't like hotels at all, but that couldn't be further from the truth....I think staying in hotels is great, as long as I get to do what I have to do in order to feel comfortable.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Last edited by LtlPinkCoupe on 08 Nov 2014, 1:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 1:25 pm

I don't like hotels, since I don't like sleeping in beds that aren't mine. I realize they've been washed and cleaned, but it still doesn't feel right. Not to mention the air in hotel rooms smells and feels weird to me. Plus I get homesick really easily.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 1:46 pm

I stayed in hotels when I was on holiday in Amsterdam. I could sleep rather well and the beds were nice and comfy with basic blankets and sheets rather than duvets. I don't usually sleep well when out from home but I did in Amsterdam and they had wifi. I dont like being bitten by the local insect life though which is what happened when I came back from Amsterdam was all these big red spots on my legs that looked like heat bumps. it was a nice hotel and I stayed there before. The one I stayed in 2010 during my first trip to Amsterdam they made a breakfast and the coffee to wash it down had evaporated or condensed milk which tasted like a raktajino it was that foul the bread, cheese jam and eggs was nice though just not the coffee though and I dislike condensed milk anyway disgusting. The bed was comfortable and within a fifteen minutes walk of my favourite coffeeshops so I didn't think anything of it. I probably wouldn't mention the possibility of bedbugs if the hoteliers and their staff were nice people. It did take a bit of getting used to and also sensory regulating because a 250 mile Journey from 40 miles from London to Amsterdam is a lot of sensory input and has to be regulated some how and stimming on the plane is out of the question. That would be the coach to Heathrow which is about an hours journey depending on traffic and when you get to the airport you go through customs and then after you cleared customs you may have a couple of hours or more to your flight arrives. Aiports are big and noisy and also waits during the jouney from Reading to Amsterdam. When I arrive I need to sensory regulate because I arrived with the sweats and needed a change of shirt. The hotel rooms were smallish but it was one of the cheaper rooms anyway with red carpets and white walls with the windows looking down on the Haarlemmerstraat. Then I paid a visit to a coffeeshop for some of Amsterdam's human attractants. I have stayed in a BnB before as well back in 1994 during the summer which wasn't bad and I went with my then partner who is no longer my partner. That was her idea a nice 3 days in Oxford with the beautful buildings made from yellow stones (limestone?).:arrow:

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 1:58 pm

I love them! See, I don't mind the change in my routine a little. As long as I know the changes are going to happen ahead of time, I'm usually prepared to go to a new setting. I stay at a hotel every year for my anime convention. The hard part I do face is that the one that runs the convention is always changing hotels. I get a little nervous because I don't know how the new hotel is going to accommodate someone like me. I usually don't need any accommodations, but I still get weary of new places.