Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Arcnarenth
Raven
Raven

12 Nov 2014, 3:01 pm

Just wondering if this is a trigger for anyone else here. I keep to myself more often than not, but there are times when I have something to say. So often though it feels like this need to communicate goes largely ignored by those around me. At times it is extremely difficult for me to draw the attention of those I wish to speak to.

I'll admit that perhaps there's a bit of egocentrism in wanting to convey my own thoughts over whatever else the other might be engaged in. Maybe it's even hypocritical that I want the other's full attention when I attempt to speak to them as well. Yet I'm very frustrated when ignored and tend to view it as a slight or as if my opinions are seen as unimportant or trivial. I also find that if I'm not able to say what I need to in a reasonable amount of time, I'll often forget what it is/was that I needed to say in the first place adding further frustration.

Is this a concern or issue for anyone else? How do you handle such situations?

engineerbiology
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Nov 2014, 3:08 pm

Arcnarenth wrote:
Just wondering if this is a trigger for anyone else here. I keep to myself more often than not, but there are times when I have something to say. So often though it feels like this need to communicate goes largely ignored by those around me. At times it is extremely difficult for me to draw the attention of those I wish to speak to.

I'll admit that perhaps there's a bit of egocentrism in wanting to convey my own thoughts over whatever else the other might be engaged in. Maybe it's even hypocritical that I want the other's full attention when I attempt to speak to them as well. Yet I'm very frustrated when ignored and tend to view it as a slight or as if my opinions are seen as unimportant or trivial. I also find that if I'm not able to say what I need to in a reasonable amount of time, I'll often forget what it is/was that I needed to say in the first place adding further frustration.

Is this a concern or issue for anyone else? How do you handle such situations?

Yes, I have the same problem.
My problem is that I'm ignored when I'm giving someone a lecture about autism, and sometimes I become angry because people don't/can't understand what I'm saying. In general, I hate people who only base their opinion on your credibility.

The most strange person, could have the most brilliant idea, even if her/his credibility is very low at the start.
But most of the time, people don't care about that, they only care about your credibility, and what YOU have to offer to them (WIIFT) [whats in it for them].

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt270321.html

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 3:10 pm

I have this problem too so I try to communicate with the nicer and kind people mostly I'm also nice with them and control myself not to argue with them or something

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 3:15 pm

Nobody really likes being ignored.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

catalina
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Nov 2014, 3:39 pm

It happens to me too, sometimes i cant be sure if they aren't interested or i don't talk loud enough. Usually people listen more when you talk to them individually than in groups of people.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 4:12 pm

I excuse myself and walk away. Right in the middle of a sentence.

If someone wonders why, I say they seemed preoccupied.

If they insist, I say it was trivial, nevermind.

I respect that we need to get someone's attention, if they are in immediate, physical danger, or if we mean to borrow something.

But, you can waste years of your life, literally getting derailed forever, waiting for some kind of acknowledgement.