Page 4 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 9:18 pm

skibum wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
still I wonder how she does what she does while aspie? she HAS to socially function for extended periods of time. she HAS to act which requires above-average TOM. :scratch:
I have done some acting. It's easier than real life.

you both have higher performance than me. :oops:

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 9:56 pm

auntblabby wrote:
skibum wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
still I wonder how she does what she does while aspie? she HAS to socially function for extended periods of time. she HAS to act which requires above-average TOM. :scratch:

Aww, I think you would do great. Once you get the real key to acting it becomes easier. The key is not to act. You know how we can live in our own imaginary worlds and create entire scenarios involving ourselves and they become real for us? A lot of us have commented on other threads that we have imaginary friends and that we do this all the time or even that we spend lots of time talking to ourselves as if we were someone else. That is essentially how acting is. You are doing the same thing just using words that are provided for you. You don't have to create responses, you just make yourself be whomever is on the page and you will feel and respond accordingly. It's kind of the same thing we do when we observe and mimic social interactions in real life. That is why aspies can sometimes be phenomenal actors.

Wreck It Ralph

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 10:00 pm

skibum wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
skibum wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Aww, I think you would do great. Once you get the real key to acting it becomes easier. The key is not to act. You know how we can live in our own imaginary worlds and create entire scenarios involving ourselves and they become real for us? A lot of us have commented on other threads that we have imaginary friends and that we do this all the time or even that we spend lots of time talking to ourselves as if we were someone else. That is essentially how acting is. You are doing the same thing just using words that are provided for you. You don't have to create responses, you just make yourself be whomever is on the page and you will feel and respond accordingly. It's kind of the same thing we do when we observe and mimic social interactions in real life. That is why aspies can sometimes be phenomenal actors.

my problem is that I can observe alright, but I cannot mimic for the life of me. like if you ask me to copy somebody else's accent, I can't do it.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 10:07 pm

auntblabby wrote:
skibum wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
skibum wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

my problem is that I can observe alright, but I cannot mimic for the life of me. like if you ask me to copy somebody else's accent, I can't do it.
At least you have the first half down. :D When I get a script. I have not acted in decades so I should say, when I had gotten a script, I would first learn it to memorize it then I would just spend time living it. I would pretend I was really that person and just be that person saying those things. So in essence I became the person on the page. So when I got to rehearsal I came as that person and I had already created a whole life for her. So doing the play was just me being her and speaking and responding as her with prewritten words. That is what acting is.

Wreck It Ralph

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 10:09 pm

skibum wrote:
At least you have the first half down. :D When I get a script. I have not acted in decades so I should say, when I had gotten a script, I would first learn it to memorize it then I would just spend time living it. I would pretend I was really that person and just be that person saying those things. So in essence I became the person on the page. So when I got to rehearsal I came as that person and I had already created a whole life for her. So doing the play was just me being her and speaking and responding as her with prewritten words. That is what acting is.

how good are you at mimicking accents on the first try?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 10:11 pm

auntblabby wrote:
skibum wrote:

Shockingly good. I have always been able to do that. Within minutes of watching a show or talking to someone I can usually get it pretty well. But you don't have to be great at accents to be a good actor. I am also very musical so that helps. But I read that the mimicking of accents is also common for Aspies.

Wreck It Ralph

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 10:15 pm

skibum wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
skibum wrote:

Shockingly good. I have always been able to do that. Within minutes of watching a show or talking to someone I can usually get it pretty well. But you don't have to be great at accents to be a good actor. I am also very musical so that helps. But I read that the mimicking of accents is also common for Aspies.

I must be an outlier aspie then. [no talents]. you said you are musical, that means you sing and/or play instruments with no problem?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 10:59 pm

auntblabby wrote:
skibum wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
skibum wrote:

I must be an outlier aspie then. [no talents]. you said you are musical, that means you sing and/or play instruments with no problem?
I do sing and play piano a little but definitely took study and effort, lots of it actually. :D

Wreck It Ralph

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 11:01 pm

skibum wrote:
I do sing and play piano a little but definitely took study and effort, lots of it actually. :D

maybe in the next life I will have the right genes for such. :alien:

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 11:09 pm

auntblabby wrote:
skibum wrote:

That would be fun. And I hope to be there to perform with you. :D

Wreck It Ralph

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 11:10 pm

skibum wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
skibum wrote:

That would be fun. And I hope to be there to perform with you. :D

hopefully i'll be the one with the ponytail playing the organ :)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 2:49 am

friedmacguffins wrote:
Then, I don't personally see how you would be 'trying too hard,' or why it would be so socially inappropriate that people would feel the need to judge.

I have some trashy relatives, but you don't come across that way, to me.

Also, based on your photo, you don't seem to dress ostentatiously, to me.

I'm sorry if you were made to feel uncomfortable by anybody or just imagined that things were like that.

Most of those comments took place when I was in highschool, looking back not entirely sure why as at that point I was basically obsessed with pink floyd, didn't listen to much of anything else and had mostly black clothes but no real style usually guys pants and whatever shirts came up with mostly just random t-shirts, or with long-sleeve shirts under them I still do that. But a lot of people where into various fads loosely related to that whole 'emo' thing that was popular, when I was still going. Now I guess I have more specific sort of styles and some ideas I get from looking at bands I like and how they dress....a lot of people look at fashion magazines but never cared for those to help with ideas.

But yeah that picture does not represent my entire wardrobe...dressed more mellow there, but sometimes I have much brighter colors going on...and of band t-shirts, the metal ones can be rather dark....like pictures/designs on them, don't even know what shirt i have on in that picture due to the scarf.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 2:53 am

dinetahrisingsun wrote:
I must apologize, I haven't watched the interview. It doesn't interest me enough and honestly stresses me out too much. I want to comment on the general idea of "faking it as NT." Being homeless forced me to adapt to a lot...I was forced to be in public 24/7! It was Hell! And in order to not be homeless (I have no family) I have to do my damnedest to seem neurotypical. Through my survivalism I have developed an interest in the sociological competitive structures of society. I am amazed how much I have learned from everyone who has used me... so it is possible if you are on the so called high functioning end to act NT to an extent, although speaking from my experience I can only do so for a short while before I break down from the energy it takes.Maybe if someone loves something that much its worth it to then. Not me! As soon as I have enough saved up I'll seek a lower paying job or something part time. I miss peace of mind!! !

I am supposedly high functioning...and have never been able to act NT to any extent....not sure how seeming neurotypical gets one out of homelessness per say.

something_
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Nov 2014, 5:18 am

It is just such faulty logic to think her talking about something that doesn't exclusively affect people with autism is a reason to think she does not have it . Not all people with social anxiety have aspergers but all people with aspergers have social anxiety (ok the second half of this sentence may be an exaggeration but a significant proportion)

L_Holmes wrote:
I was extremely frustrated, because obviously the individual traits themselves never mean someone is definitely autistic, they are just indicators. I tried to explain that, but it was very difficult because I didn't realize she was going to react this way, so I didn't get the point across very well.

She is not my therapist anymore.

Totally agree, I find this so frustrating, as far as I know there is no one symptom that is unique to autism it is about seeing the whole pattern, when people dismiss individual symptoms it is not helpful. My parents were very dismissive, I explained everything and they argued on every individual point how 'lots of people do that', without seeing the big picture that it would be pretty coincidental that I have so many problems and traits that people with autism have and always have. The worst though was an autism charity who are the gatekeepers to referral in my area, dismissed me in exactly the same way after 20 minutes. It was so frustrating as I had done so much research and was convinced I had it (have now been diagnosed) and was being dismissed based on what I said, as if what I could articulate in 20 minutes was all the evidence there was and enough to make their assertion, when I had 30 years of evidence.

sadly I see this kind of thing on this board of all places quite a lot as there seems to be this weird paranoia of thinking people wanting to have aspergers because its 'trendy'. When someone who has looked into it in a serious way says they have it this should be accepted, rather than try and argue 'thats not autism lots of people do that' as no one can condense their whole experience and reasoning into a concise explanation.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 10:47 am

Yeah, there are very few things if any that are exclusive to Asperger's. Everything that Aspergian people suffer from everyone else also experiences TO A DEGREE. The difference is in the severity and frequency of the experience. So for some to say you are not Autistic because everyone does this or that is absolutely ridiculous.

When I walk into my house I come in through the door. Well everyone else does too. Does that make me not Autistic? It's a silly and obvious example but it's true.

Wreck It Ralph