Page 3 of 8 [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

jbw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Nov 2014, 4:28 am

With many foods my son insists on strict separation of the different elements. I may have done something similar only to a limited extent as a small child. I am fairly tolerant with respect to food, as long as it is vegetarian.

I do have a few strict rules for eating specific foods.

I eat a very simple and repetitive basic diet, without ever getting tired of it. Other people crave much more variety in their food. My breakfast routine hardly has any variation, and sometimes I have my "number one staple dish" for breakfast and for dinner.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 2:27 pm

I used to do this, as a kid----the separating of foods, and not letting the foods touch. I also did the thing with eating the marshmallows, first ("Count Chocula"), then the cereal; then I had all that wonderful chocolate milk to drink. I did this thing with "Good and Plenty".... I separated all the pink ones and all the white ones; then, I separated all the irregular ones. Also, at that time, I liked even numbers, so if either the pink or white had an UNeven number, I ate those first.

I had a real moment of revelation when someone said they ate things in temperature order and that that was probably why they didn't like vegetables----because they cooled the quickest. I was like "OMG, maybe that's why I have never really been that fond of vegetables"! !

Now, as an adult, I don't do the separation / one-thing-at-a-time thing, very often. There HAVE been times when I've slid something over, and ate it last, to save it / savor it, if it was super yummy.

As for Thanksgiving / Christmas: All bets are off!! When I make a turkey with all the trimmings for those holidays, I pile my plate up, and eat everything at the same time----as I almost always do; I just don't usually pile-up my plate. (I mean, I take a bite of something, chew it, swallow it, then take a bite of something else, etc. I don't think I mix things up, really----like that thing where people put turkey and cranberry on their fork and eat it as one bite. I wanted to try it cuz I saw so many other people doing it, but I just couldn't make myself do it. I don't like mixing sweet with ANYTHING!! !)

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 3:01 pm

Yes.

I'm sick of my parents saying, "Remember to eat your _______, too!"
I know, I'm getting to that. I'm not going to take a bite of pork right after swallowing a strawberry. Eugh.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 11:57 pm

Usually I do eat one thing at a time, though I didn't really think about it before reading this. I guess I never thought of it as being very weird, and nobody has really pointed it out before to my knowledge. Then again I used to think that a lot of my "weird" behaviors were pretty normal.

My grandma always asks, "Aren't you going to eat your ____?", or "Don't you want any ____?" I WILL GET TO IT, OK!?!?! Gosh, EVERY meal this happens. I know how to get my food, so if I don't get it myself, it's probably because I don't want it. I have told her before, I can figure out what I want by myself, but she just keeps asking! :wall:

- Sherlock Holmes

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 3:56 am

Yes, and mother says I did it when I was small. It was out of some sense of order; none of this mixing of the elemental food materials.

When I started doing my own cooking it was usually one-pot, so the problem ceased to exist. Now, it doesn't bother me much, though certain combinations still do for inexplicable reasons. I.e. "fruit can never touch meat." It's it's like it's against god's order or something.

Kurushimi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2014, 4:38 pm

I'm an NT and I have done that since I was a kid. I always eat all of one thing before moving on to the next thing, and certain foods can never ever touch!! I didn't realize that was strange though. :?

"The sun came out, and I walked on my feet and heard with my ears. I hate the bits, the bits that stay down and I work, I function like I'm a girl. I hate it because I know it'll go away! The sun grows dark and chaos has come again."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 2:37 am

I gotta mix my savories together and my sweets together but very seldom do I mix savory with sweet.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 3:26 am

Have always eaten one thing at a time starting with my favourite food first and working down to my least favourite food last. By the time I get down to my least favourite food last, the food has gotten cold, so then I have an excuse to leave it on my plate.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 3:50 am

I am always driven to snarf down every single morsel on my plate or in my bowl or dish. I cannot leave a plate unless it is licked so clean I can see my reflection in it! :mrgreen:

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2015, 7:25 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
I used to do this, as a kid----the separating of foods, and not letting the foods touch. I also did the thing with eating the marshmallows, first ("Count Chocula"), then the cereal; then I had all that wonderful chocolate milk to drink. I did this thing with "Good and Plenty".... I separated all the pink ones and all the white ones; then, I separated all the irregular ones. Also, at that time, I liked even numbers, so if either the pink or white had an UNeven number, I ate those first.

I had a real moment of revelation when someone said they ate things in temperature order and that that was probably why they didn't like vegetables----because they cooled the quickest. I was like "OMG, maybe that's why I have never really been that fond of vegetables"! !

Now, as an adult, I don't do the separation / one-thing-at-a-time thing, very often. There HAVE been times when I've slid something over, and ate it last, to save it / savor it, if it was super yummy.

As for Thanksgiving / Christmas: All bets are off!! When I make a turkey with all the trimmings for those holidays, I pile my plate up, and eat everything at the same time----as I almost always do; I just don't usually pile-up my plate. (I mean, I take a bite of something, chew it, swallow it, then take a bite of something else, etc. I don't think I mix things up, really----like that thing where people put turkey and cranberry on their fork and eat it as one bite. I wanted to try it cuz I saw so many other people doing it, but I just couldn't make myself do it. I don't like mixing sweet with ANYTHING!! !)

Oh Thanksgiving meals were a major thing of annoyance for my mother when I was a kid. Plates are only so big, so you have to pile everything up. Everything touches. I would and still do eat around and leave the bits where the food touches. Lots of scraps for the garbage can or the family dog from my plate. And I would go back for seconds after scraping my plate off. I'm probably the only person that goes after seconds while still having uneaten food on my plate.

Jezebel
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jan 2015, 1:17 am

I do this all the time. For me it's kind of weird because I also do it with just foods in general. It's like I'll obsess over cereal and only eat that for a couple days (until it's gone) and then repeat with another food. :P

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 1:44 am

IAmTheCatalyst wrote:
I always eat my foods in specific order - my least favorite, all the way up to my favorite food last.

It's the only logical way to eat.

I am nearing retirement age, and I have been eating that way all my life.

If you start with the food you like the least, and work your way up to your favourite food, then your meal just gets better and better as you eat it.

Perfectly reasonable way to do it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 2:12 am

when I eat my sandwiches [back when I was eating sandwiches] I always hadda eat the crust FIRST THING, all the way around, thereby saving the yummy best part, the middle, for last. I could not let the nummy middle flavors get contaminated with any yucky crust flavor.

Cjmtonks
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jan 2015, 2:39 pm

I do that! But I've never had a problem with food touching.
For me though, food is a necessary evil rather than a recreational activity - so it's "meat, carrots, peas, done". What's the point in playing about with it?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 2:40 pm

food can be fun :chef:

Noura4eva
Toucan
Toucan

23 Feb 2016, 8:14 am

I used to hate processed peas and my gran would insist i eat them, so i used to swallow them whole to avoid them.
Now I love peas but not the processed type.
Also generally I will eat my favourite thing last, I guess as a reward for eating other things that I like less.
I used to tell the kids if your feeling full try to finish the meat, because an animal died for us to eat it, and wasting it was a shame