Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 2:41 pm

So, do you like surprises? Do you like it when people surprise you with gifts or parties? Or just by taking you places they won't tell you about?

I don't really mind them as much, but I'd much rather be prepared for what's going to happen. Sometimes, I feel as if something bad is going to happen with the surprise if I don't prepare. However, I don't complain if someone decides to surprise me though... if that makes sense? O_o

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 2:57 pm

Surprisingly I like surprises

calstar2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2014, 2:59 pm

Only if it's an expected surprise... lol

Sylvastor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 3:04 pm

For me, it really depends, although I believe that I tend to be one of those who just generally dislike spontaneous events, surprises included to some extent.

I believe that one's personal tolerance to deviations from routines is an important aspect which decides whether you can tolerate something spontaneous like surprises or not.
The size of the event taking place, the current situation and the motive are the other side of the coin.

To name an example which would be tolerable for me: A gift/present or something else which is pretty minor. However, an example which would be quite the opposite and an exhausting and upsetting experience would be if I was told "Surprise! In 1 hour there is a flight to Spain!" - I can guarantee you my reaction won't be a "Thank you.", quite the opposite. I predict I would be pretty angry, and trying hard to remain calm. There is actually a fine line between an "Oh, that's nice" and *insert upset me here* for me. It can be that the line was already crossed with an unexpected phone call. ;)

Transyl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 3:08 pm

Very rarely do I like surprise events if they contribute any kind of social pressure.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 3:24 pm

Nope. The best surprise for me is to give me at least 24 hours notice of the "surprise" event (generally; details may remain a secret) so that I can reschedule my plans. Sorta like "Hey David, the family wants to get together tomorrow (or next Saturday) at 3:00 p.m." Okay, cool. The details about giving me a million dollars can wait until the get together. Otherwise, taking me away from my plans really upsets me.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 3:39 pm

no

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 3:41 pm

I have always loved them even though I have been told I didn't like them. I think they mean I don't like the ones that are bad or ones I am not interested in and I am being forced to do.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Nov 2014, 4:10 pm

It really depends on the surprise. If someone said, "HEY! I'm giving you $100 bucks! Here you go!" and then he walked away I'd be really happy. If someone surprised me by hitting me in the face then I'd probably exert all my strength into tackling them and beating the crap out of them.

In general I'd say I dislike surprises... obviously there are exceptions. I'm just saying if someone redesigned my room while I was gone I'd act happy but on the inside probably be pretty annoyed.

ziggyramone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Nov 2014, 4:13 pm

I detest surprises.

Andrew Eldritch

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005241765169

maddycakes__
Raven
Raven

18 Nov 2014, 4:35 pm

I like surprise presents because I like getting presents and I understand the intention behind them is kindness which is sweet. But I don't like any build up e.g. "I've got a surprise for you..." and some waiting before getting it etc, that makes me very anxious.

I don't like any other kind of surprise at all. Surprise party, outing or whatever I can't spontaneously go out if I haven't planned it in advance it makes me far too anxious.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 4:40 pm

If they're good surprises

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 5:10 pm

No I don?t like a surprise, even nice ones like an unexpected gift, opening it in front of the giver is not pleasant; I?m almost guaranteed to fail the expected reaction. Surprise party/trip/outing... no, I need advanced notice.

Arasim
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Nov 2014, 5:13 pm

I have a hard time with surprises. Especially the kind that has to do with schedules or plans. Like when work unexpectantly changes my shifts or if I have to change something I've planned.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 5:18 pm

calstar2 wrote:
Only if it's an expected surprise... lol
:thumleft:

I try new things -- colors, music, flavors, and so on -- but only get used to it, after several attempts.

I don't particularly like it, when I am put into unexpected situations, or, if I am obliged to be polite, when I am still trying to make up my mind.

I think I have disappointed some people, when they thought I was discouraged.

LoveforLoki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2014, 5:23 pm

Gifts - Yes!

Parties - NO WAY!