Remembering Utterly Trivial Information But Forgetting....

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 4:56 pm

...important things.

Does anyone else do this?

When I am not depressed (which is somewhat of a rarity as I am extremely isolated) I find that my brain can remember - with a degree of ease - strings of information, such as number plates, mobile phone numbers, newspaper headlines verbatim, order numbers etc. Yet bizarrely when I attempt to remember what I have been studying (Java programming, at present) my mind is reminiscent of a clean slate. It's as if it's trapped in a state of oblivion. I believe it's a form of intellectual retardation, but my psychiatrist dismisses these thoughts of mine. :?

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2015, 4:58 pm

Yes, I ALWAYS forget important things. My mom usually chews me out on how I can remember things I care about, but not about school, homework, chores, etc.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 5:13 pm

I'm the exact same. Can remember numbers without even trying, but always forgetting useful stuff. I don't think it's mental retardation, just autistic minds are different in terms of memory.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2015, 12:31 am

My brain automatically catalogues the make, model, and year of almost every vehicle on the road, but I cannot for the life of me remember the names of people I meet, even 10 seconds later after they tell me their name. I have even gone years without actually knowing someone's name who I talk to on a regular basis. Sorta like this college humor video lol

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2015, 3:43 pm

Welcome to my world. :lol:

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Dec 2015, 7:01 pm

I have that problem but I attribute it to my ADD & dyslexia.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2015, 9:14 am

This a sign of executive dysfunction, which is common in autism, ADHD and a lot of other NDs.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2015, 3:13 pm

I have trouble remembering trivial things as much as important things. I know all too well the feeling of having a clean slate in my mind.