Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Will living on my own make things better?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Unsure 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 4

Shelldor2015
Raven
Raven

Location: In a Bob Ross painting looking at pretty little clouds and talking to happy little trees.

05 Dec 2014, 7:26 am

I have been living with my step dad for over two years now an I got approved for SSI recently. The talk almost immediately went to me beginning to find a place of my own. There is no rush to find one, but the talk of it made me scared.

A little background here. I moved in with my step dad over two years ago due to my living situation with my ex falling apart. I have lived on my own only once before and it was a nightmare. I was living in Indianapolis which was 300+ miles from where I grew up. I also was working in a very stressful job and was not medicated. I had several meltdowns due to everything being too much. I even had a couple of occasions where I would just sit and stare for about two days at a time. All I was interested in was my video games and tv/net. It took all I had to even go to work in the morning. I did not socialize much let alone make friends or date. Anyway, back on topic. Even though I am not working and I'm medicated, I worry about backsliding and having meltdowns due to everything being too much. I do now. I really want to make a go of living independently, but I see it going very wrong very fast. I hope I'm wrong.

AQ 46

"If there is a 50-50 chance something will go wrong, 9 times out of 10 it will" Paul Harvey

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 9:32 am

I voted unsure because I'm not a psychic, but I'm hoping it will make things better for you. I'm also hoping your stepdad is being as supportive as possible.

I'm in the process of moving out on my own as well. The two times that I tried before (by going to university) were a disaster. However, I'm doing everything I can not to repeat the same mistakes: I won't do a house-share (particularly with students!); I will be remaining in the local area; I won't be making any other major changes at the same time, like starting a new course or job; I will keep some of my current routine (such as picking my nephew up from school on Wednesdays); and I've got support from various professionals, which I never had in the past.

I suggest you think along those lines as well.

Shelldor2015
Raven
Raven

Location: In a Bob Ross painting looking at pretty little clouds and talking to happy little trees.

05 Dec 2014, 4:00 pm

NiceCupOfTea wrote:
I voted unsure because I'm not a psychic, but I'm hoping it will make things better for you. I'm also hoping your stepdad is being as supportive as possible.

I'm in the process of moving out on my own as well. The two times that I tried before (by going to university) were a disaster. However, I'm doing everything I can not to repeat the same mistakes: I won't do a house-share (particularly with students!); I will be remaining in the local area; I won't be making any other major changes at the same time, like starting a new course or job; I will keep some of my current routine (such as picking my nephew up from school on Wednesdays); and I've got support from various professionals, which I never had in the past.

I suggest you think along those lines as well.

My step dad is being supportive of this whole thing. We both think it will be best for me, because I will have a little more say in my life. I guess that's positive.

The living situation may be a bit different because I wouldn't mind house sharing as long as it were with the right person/people. My previous outing on my own was an utter disaster. I will be in an area that I know, but have not lived in. There is public transport available, but I also like to ride my bike or walk sometimes. I also will have support from my entire team of professionals as well, thank goodness. I can get to my therapist's office with help from Medicaid. I think it will be a positive change as long as I work within my limits. There are other personal factors that scare me about this move. My step dad's health is not very good and I worry something will happen and no one will be there. I also don't want to lose my friendship with this wonderful girl I am getting to know (non-sexual). She is afraid to drive as I am. I hope that it will all work itself out.

Sorry for the long-winded response.

AQ 46

"If there is a 50-50 chance something will go wrong, 9 times out of 10 it will" Paul Harvey