Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 5:16 am

One issue I have is with lights. Flourescent lights sometimes give me a headache, they usually make me feel neurotic and spaced out and they almost always tire me out. Regular overhead(non-flourescent) lights in the home bother me as well. They give me headaches and they make me exhausted. I can usually hide this by avoiding fluorescent lights and using lamps. If I ever live with other people I don't want them to think I'm autistic or something. Should I just pretend to be "saving power"?

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 6:34 am

You can simply tell them you have sensitive eyes and prefer dim light. It's not a huge issue and many people have it despite not being autistic.

Energy saving excuse works too.

Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 8:44 am

The lie I use is too many concussions makes me have problems with lights.

No one ever questions it.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 9:59 am

I notice you said that "sometimes" they give you a headache, right? If so, it may not be the Fluorescent lights themselves that are the problem as it is the ballast that drive them. Older Fluorescent lights use what is known as a "magnetic" ballast, where as newer ones use an "electronic" ballast. The "magnetic" ballasts, (because they are older technology.) don't filer out the ripple from the mains current and it's that ripple that can cause the light to flicker. This "flicker" happen so-fast, that you may not notice it. But, if you are autistic or prone to epileptic seizures, then this flicker can be a big problem.

FYI: You can try to listen for a hum from the lights. light that have the older "magnetic" ballast will give off a electrical humming sound, where as the "electronic" ballast ones are silent.

Last edited by LupaLuna on 11 Jan 2015, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 10:01 am

Ya the sensitive eyes excuse could work. I don't like bright lights, though mine was caused by thyroid issues. I doubt people would automatically assume autism. Sometimes I relieve eye strain by using just one eye at a time.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 1:15 pm

Some great ideas have already been posted.

Just wanted to chime in and say that you likely don't have anything to worry about because the typical layman is not going to have any clue that light sensitivity can be a symptom of Autism and is not going to associate your sensitivity to light with Autism. It's very very unlikely that someone is going to make that connection and think you have Autism based on that one symptom.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 1:52 pm

Getting headaches from florescents is hardly an autistic issue. I would venture to say at least 1/4 of the people I work with complain of the fluorescent lights. To my knowledge, only one of my coworkers is on the spectrum, and she is not one of the people who complain about the lights.

I would just say "bright lights bother me, especially florescent ones." Period. If someone asks you why, just say "I don't know. They just do."

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 5:09 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
I notice you said that "sometimes" they give you a headache, right? If so, it may not be the Fluorescent lights themselves that are the problem as it is the ballast that drive them. Older Fluorescent lights use what is known as a "magnetic" ballast, where as newer ones use an "electronic" ballast. The "magnetic" ballasts, (because they are older technology.) don't filer out the ripple from the mains current and it's that ripple that can cause the light to flicker. This "flicker" happen so-fast, that you may not notice it. But, if you are autistic or prone to epileptic seizures, then this flicker can be a big problem.

FYI: You can try to listen for a hum from the lights. light that have the older "magnetic" ballast will give off a electrical humming sound, where as the "electronic" ballast ones are silent.

I'm not sure it has to do with that. When I had more health issues they gave me headaches. The headaches are usually gone now, but I still have neurological symptoms.

goldfish21 wrote:
Some great ideas have already been posted.

Just wanted to chime in and say that you likely don't have anything to worry about because the typical layman is not going to have any clue that light sensitivity can be a symptom of Autism and is not going to associate your sensitivity to light with Autism. It's very very unlikely that someone is going to make that connection and think you have Autism based on that one symptom.

I'm mostly worried about neurological symptoms. When I'm in fluorescent lights I get spaced out. This makes me act very strange and confused. I often struggle to even follow basic instructions in fluorescent lights. If it gets bad enough I can even become nearly unresponsive. I also get more neurotic. I get more intrusive thoughts and I often feel restless.

I think a lot of the strange behaviors I do in flourescent lights could potentially make me look autistic or at least a bit off. I don't think normal people get these problems. I could make up a white lie about getting headaches. That would make me be able to leave before my neurological symptoms get bad.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 7:13 pm

Fluorescent lights use significantly less energy than incandescent ones, so the energy-saving excuse won't work. I'd say try the newer ones previous posters are talking about and if that doesn't work, just say they give you headaches. It's highly unlikely they'll assume you're autistic because of light sensitivity. When someone tells me a sensory sensation is bothering them, I don't think "oh, s/he must be autistic". On the other hand, if you exhibit other symptoms, they might notice the combination. Though, it seems unlikely that the light would be the straw that breaks the camel's back and makes them start suspecting. Just ask yourself if being miserable from the light issue is worth avoiding that very unlikely scenario?

LargeFormatPhoto
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jan 2015, 7:23 pm

There is some finite percentage of people that can detect the flicker in fluorescent lights, even with the newer ballasts and the CFLs. I seem to recall it is around 20% but I could be wrong. I know I can see it and it can be bothersome. Just use that as an excuse if you think you need one. When I was working I always just turned off the fluorescents in my office or cube and used incandescent table lights with shades.

Cheers, Dave

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 7:35 pm

LargeFormatPhoto wrote:
There is some finite percentage of people that can detect the flicker in fluorescent lights, even with the newer ballasts and the CFLs. I seem to recall it is around 20% but I could be wrong. I know I can see it and it can be bothersome. Just use that as an excuse if you think you need one. When I was working I always just turned off the fluorescents in my office or cube and used incandescent table lights with shades.

Cheers, Dave

If that's the case and approximately 1.5% are autistic, that means autistic people make up less than 7.5% of those who notice the flicker.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2015, 7:47 pm

If your looking for excuses to turn the lights down, try migraines. They do cause extreme sensitivity to light. Only problem is that migraines come and go, which means the sensitivity comes and goes.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 1:41 am

FallingDownMan wrote:
If your looking for excuses to turn the lights down, try migraines. They do cause extreme sensitivity to light. Only problem is that migraines come and go, which means the sensitivity comes and goes.

That actually works perfectly. My sensitivity comes and goes as well.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2015, 12:28 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
FallingDownMan wrote:

That actually works perfectly. My sensitivity comes and goes as well.

Nice thing about using migraines as an excuse, "most" (not all) people know about them and their debilitating problems. Makes it easier for NT's to understand.