Super Heroes and Psychopaths: Modern Autism Myth Making

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 8:57 am

Misrepresentations, fantasy and lies about autism are very much alive and well in 2014.

On the one side there are those who mistrust/dislike/fear autistics and who demonize autism. They paint pictures of sociopaths, freaks and psychos who are dangerous to society. 'Keep your little monsters away from my kids or I'll blow their heads off...' was how one news article commenter put it, in the wake of the Newtown Shootings. These characterizations lead to ostracization, segregation and discrimination.

On the other side are some autistics, unsatisfied with the reality, who come up with all sorts of ways to artificially aggrandize autism with groundless, if not ludicrous claims, of special powers or origin. In my time here on WP I have heard everything from it being the next stage of evolution to us being some sort of supernatural beings or angels. This is simply delusional and even the more benign forms mean at least part of your house is built with playing cards that will collapse at the first real testing.

I think part of the reason for this tendency is that the details of autism in all it's variety are not yet known which leaves room for speculation. But even a cursory survey of the current scientific data will show that it is a congenital condition, characterized by abnormal mental development and or characteristics that has almost always a negative impact on the individual ranging from minor to severe, including a large number who eventually require disability support. "Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a group of developmental disabilities that can cause significant social, communication and behavioral challenges." (US CDC). Some autistics do possess special talents, but there is no evidence that it occurs any more frequently then in the general population.

Other then your autistic condition, you are just like everyone else.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 12:58 pm

Wise words Toy_Soldier.

As for me - I'm a "legend in my own mind" <<insert laugh track here>> :lol:

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 1:25 pm

eggheadjr wrote:
Wise words Toy_Soldier.

As for me - I'm a "legend in my own mind" <<insert laugh track here>> :lol:

You and me both! Humor, satire and commiseration is excepted of course.