Aspie Career Change- from Engineer to Therapist

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

BobY
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Dec 2014, 3:05 pm

On August 11 2014, KUAF 91.3, the NPR station in Fayetteville, Arkansas, aired an interview with me called “From Engineer to Therapist.”

I had an absolute blast with Kyle Kellams that day, as we talked about communication, neurodiversity, and my meandering path from engineer to therapist.

http://kuaf.com/post/engineer-therapist

http://bobyamtich.com/from-engineer-to- ... f-empathy/

I know there aren't that many publicly autistic therapists. I have adjusted my Nonviolent Communication training based on experience with Aspie adults. What modifications help reach autistic people in therapy? I'm talking about adults choosing therapy of their own free will, not kids forced into something they don't want.

I'd love feedback about my radio interview. I know there is so much pain in the autism community, and I think people prefer self-help groups. Still, since I consult with a lot of mental health professionals, what would you want me to tell them?

best,
Bob

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 4:36 am

Listen to Autistic people
Not to judge Autistic people on their seemingly inappropriate behaviors.
Just because your think your autistic loved one is not communicating with you does not mean they are not trying to do so.
The concept of "passing" and the difficulties involved
Unless he or she is hurting someone or themselves don't force them to be who they are not.
Don't put them in situations with sensory overload.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 1:06 pm

Wow - I'm an engineer and that's a HUGE step to take to become a therapist.

Congrats! All the best in your new vocation - we'd be happy to hear some of the things you learn helping out those on the autism spectrum.

:D