why are certain types of "weird people" okay?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

hollowmoon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Dec 2014, 2:48 am

So I have noticed that certain types of weird are praised and people like it.. like the singer Lorde or lady gaga. Theres this guy at my college who people say is so "unique, original etc.." and he has tons of friends and is socially accepted. Yet, I have had those same people call me weird with hostility (without any real reason). For example, I have had peers say I am weird because of my facial language. Why are some types of weird people socially accepted while others are crucified? I really do not understand this...

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2014, 2:51 am

Millions of dollars spent on marketing can make anything appealing.

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Dec 2014, 3:10 am

thank god for this website! I struggle with what you just mentioned so much, my old friends who I don't talk to anymore used to always call me weird and psycho and creepy and fckd up during our friendship as a insult in a hostile way yet they were all obsessed with "weird art" and "being weird for attention" and "different things"... Ironic right? How does that make sense? How am I weird when they are seemingly obsessed with weird?

FedUpAsp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2014, 3:34 am

We aspies have an "organic" weirdness that others find off-putting. It's not considered cool if you stim or have strange incomprehensible body language or voice. It's not weirdness for weirdness-sake. Not a group or cultural thing. Frankly it's seen as a disability by most people and disabled people are not wanted around generally. (my experience).

King_oni
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Dec 2014, 3:36 am

Why some weird people are ok? The same why some people connect more to others. Add in a bit of charisma and the right type of weird that tickles the peoples fancy and you're getting there.

FedUpAsp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2014, 3:38 am

King_oni wrote:
Why some weird people are ok? The same why some people connect more to others. Add in a bit of charisma and the right type of weird that tickles the peoples fancy and you're getting there.

This. Totally this.

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 3:42 am

Among other factors - if you have lots and lots of money - weird mysteriously morphs into charming and eccentric.

- Albert Einstein

hollowmoon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Dec 2014, 4:14 am

FedUpAsp wrote:
We aspies have an "organic" weirdness that others find off-putting. It's not considered cool if you stim or have strange incomprehensible body language or voice. It's not weirdness for weirdness-sake. Not a group or cultural thing. Frankly it's seen as a disability by most people and disabled people are not wanted around generally. (my experience).

what do u mean by organic? y is this different than other types?

FedUpAsp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2014, 4:32 am

hollowmoon wrote:
FedUpAsp wrote:

what do u mean by organic? y is this different than other types?

I mean innate, fleshy, not a culturally-driven weirdness.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

06 Dec 2014, 4:39 am

Everybody is weird. There is a difference between warm fuzzy teddy bear weird, funny muppet show weird, mental institution weird, science experiment weird, and serial killer weird. Some people just enjoy the company of some kinds of weird. It is important to have something to relate to. Most of which cannot be faked.

MatchingBlues
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2014, 4:46 am

Is this guy friendly? Might help if he himself is friendly.

I am blunt and not reserved in my opinions of people. Sometimes I cross the line. I'm weird in that bad way.

King_oni
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Dec 2014, 7:36 pm

yournamehere wrote:
Everybody is weird. There is a difference between warm fuzzy teddy bear weird, funny muppet show weird, mental institution weird, science experiment weird, and serial killer weird. Some people just enjoy the company of some kinds of weird. It is important to have something to relate to. Most of which cannot be faked.

This is quite true. I actually enjoy that mental institution, science experiment and serial killer weird over that muppet show weird. Suppose insane or crazy applies here as well, lol.

It doesn't help that, just to adress the demographic here, beyond the NT/AS debate and NT's being a norm that wants to dictate, there's also a bit of a "norm" on what's acceptable weird. And if you're on the spectrum and bring that kind of unwanted weirdness with you, it would seem you're asking for trouble.

It does open up the idea of "what exactly is weird?" Is something per definition weird the moment it doesn't fit your own ideals? For some people it already is (ignorance is a thing as it happens) yet others can totally accept someone being weird, regardless on whether someone is weird for the sake of being weird, or someone is weird because he genuinely is a bit of a curious creature.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2014, 11:52 am

I don't know it depends on so many reasons, there are people who find my weirdness funny and cute thats why they're nice to me, some were the opposite because they saw me as creepy.