Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Dec 2014, 11:28 pm

[mod edit: removed broken url's]

When I saw the news story at the link below this morning and looked over the list, the thought immediately came to me that this might not necessarily be American behavior but rather NT behavior in general with Americans only carrying that same behavior overboard in all that we do. See what you think.

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/how-to-spot-an-american-in-an-airport-104190326577.html

I used to live and work on a small third world British island (Ascension Island, South Atlantic, roughly 8 Deg S, 14 Deg W). Within the first few months of being there, decades before I found out that I am autistic, I began to notice that the aggressive nature of my fellow Americans offended me deeply while the somewhat gentler nature of the local people from the nearby island of St Helena appealed to me more. For the 18 years that I remained on that island, I always did feel closer to and favored the local people more than the much brasher Americans (I was one of a number of people who felt this way). What I did not realize until I read the article above was that this was my reaction against the American NT nature and not to Americans per se. I believe that this may be what this article is really revealing about Americans. It is also interesting to note that this brashness of Americans is also one of the main factors that causes Americans to be hated so much by the various world terrorist organizations. Far too many Americans act like their s**t doesn't stink.

Last edited by TTRSage on 03 Dec 2014, 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 11:33 pm

Got this when I clicked the link

Hmmm... the page you're looking for isn't here. Try searching above.

Not sure what to search, though

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Dec 2014, 11:37 pm

FireyInspiration wrote:
Got this when I clicked the link

Hmmm... the page you're looking for isn't here. Try searching above.

Not sure what to search, though

Sorry about that... message now edited to insert URL in three different ways. Apparently the old way of doing things does not work on the new version of this web site.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 11:48 pm

NT behavior is not something set in stone. It is the result of a set of algorithms/memetics that evolve over time in an environment of other ideas.
American culture is a natural hot-bed for memetic evolution.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 12:26 am

I would not do most of those things, I am sure plenty of NT's do not fit that description either...that is more traits of an annoying american tourist.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 12:39 am

Quote:
Check out what Twitter user ‏@qirtaiba posted:
This is HONESTLY A REAL CONVERSATION going on next to me between Americans |
| right now at Heathrow Airport. |
| |
| A: This is my first time in Europe. |
| B: England isn't part of Europe. They didn't want to be. |
| A: Then what are the main countries in Europe? Germany and Portugal? |
| B: No, it's Germany and... Britain. |
| A: But isn't this Britain? |
| B: No, this is the United Kingdom. |
| A: So where is Britain on the map? It must be right next to the United |
| Kingdom? |
| B: Yep.

LOLOLOL :lol:

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 2:29 am

The article is inane stereotyping of Americans.
It is neither American or NT behavior.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 4:25 am

It is dumb tourist behavior, and tourists from anywhere do that.
And the sweat pants are pretty common all over the world. The not being able to point on a map where they are and what the country is called is dumbass behavior, not tied to nationality.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 10:39 am

btbnnyr wrote:
The article is inane stereotyping of Americans.
It is neither American or NT behavior.

I agree. Both categories are huge and diverse. This kind of stereotyping is always wrong.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 10:42 am

Neither......it's just idiot tourist behavior.

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2014, 1:12 pm

trollcatman wrote:
And the sweat pants are pretty common all over the world.

Yeah... I didn't really get the point of that sweat pants item either.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 2:44 pm

Am I the only one who read the many comments from disgruntled Americans saying they don't fit those stereotypes but at the same time most of them said people from other countries were a lot worse which is also stereotypical oh I dunno...

Me, I was just annoyed since I'm Canadian and my opinions don't matter. So what if Canadians also wear baseball caps or sweat pants, no one cares! Personally, I'd be wishing there was a Tim Horton's nearby instead of a McDonald's. I don't know if they have the best doughnuts, tea and coffee in the world but they've certainly made it into a real lifestyle.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 4:45 pm

I have travelled a lot, including within the USA and Europe and look at this topic through the eyes of an observer.

I met some wonderful Americans and some ......... (censored). Most fell in between the two extremes. The "ugly American" exists, though to apply that stereotype to all rather than a small percentage is unfair.

One of my US adventures was a road trip, driving from Florida to California, stopping all along the way and meandering through adjacent states. Some states seemed to have more of the "uglies" than others, though for the sake of not starting a war, I am not brave enough to name them. Most didn't seem to have many at all. Being from New Zealand, states that make a great show of guns and flags are not particularly congenial to the kiwi way of life and thinking.

Some cities that were in my personal experience completely ugly-free were: Sante Fe, NM; New Orleans (more encounters with unexpected kindnesses there than anywhere else); Tampa and St Petersburg, FL; San Francisco; St Augustine in Georgia; Savannah; San Antonio TX; Colorado Springs; Austin, TX; and must add special mention of the kindness of Howard at his Hopi ranch at Spider Rock, Arizona.

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2014, 4:09 pm

I'm Russian and have lived with Russians my whole life. I was born in America, but didn't meet an American till school and didn't learn good English till 3rd grade.
I don't think that's like Americans at all. OF COURSE there are some rude ones, but I love Americans because they're generally so nice and polite. I hate this stereotype. I think Russians are actually more rude xD

I think NTs who are loud or extroverted tend to be this way, but not all. None of my friends do any of those, but my step-dad fits all of these perfectly (he is American). I think we notice the idiots more because they're usually louder than the rest of us.

I think this quote kind of explains this

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are so confident while the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 6:25 pm

They forgot the number #1 best way to identify Americans (more like U.S.ians) — obesity.

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Dec 2014, 10:54 pm

B19 wrote:
Some states seemed to have more of the "uglies" than others, though for the sake of not starting a war, I am not brave enough to name them.

I noticed something similar years ago when driving from Florida to North Carolina (in two stretches separated by a few years). During the course of those two trips I noticed that the farther north you went the worse the roads became, the better the drivers became and the more friendly the people became. During one trip from Melbourne, FL to Atlanta in 1985, I started out among really unfriendly people, great roads and lousy drivers. When I crossed the state line into GA, the roads were worse with better drivers as I stopped in Valdosta to get a quick hamburger. The young black guy who served me at that fast food restaurant was so friendly to me that it nearly overwhelmed me like a tidal wave rolling over me.

B19 wrote:
states that make a great show of guns and flags are not particularly congenial to the kiwi way of life and thinking.

It's too bad that the US is not more like NZ in this respect. Unfortunately we seem to have that guns and glory, might makes right mentality.

B19 wrote:
Some cities that were in my personal experience completely ugly-free were: Tampa... and Austin, TX

I have to agree with two places on your list completely. I originally came from GA but grew up in Tampa and always noticed a big difference between the west and east coasts of the state. Tampa was a wonderfully relaxed and friendly place in the 1950s and early 1970s. I have not been back since 1980 and have been told that it is a much larger and very different place now. The east coast always impressed me as being snobbish and xenophobic, rejecting outsiders in much the same manner that they reject "snowbirds" from up north. I lived in Melbourne for a year in 1985 and was never able to break through this mentality in spite of pleas from one guy to the others to accept me. People hated me so much that in that same place I'm pretty sure that one guy is the one who burglarized my apartment and stole my car one night (I never went back again). I also lived in Austin during the mid 1960s and found that to be a very likeable place. I did experience some bullying there but to a great extent it was bullying with a friendly twist to it. I also notice that you omitted Atlanta from your list (or maybe you just never came here). I've lived in Atlanta in two stretches from 1968-1973 and from 1993 to the present time. Atlanta is both larger and different now than it was back then. It is less friendly now. Atlanta is often billed as a city that is "Too Busy To Hate", but too many people here take time out from their busy lives to hate just for the thrill they get from it. I'm experiencing this kind of hate and intimidation from two different groups of people right now as I am writing this.