Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

What is your theory for the cause of autism?
A mutation in your genes. 42%  42%  [ 13 ]
Overly high IQ. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Low EQ (that's your emotional quotient) 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Chemicals in vaccinations 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Abnormal brain growth 29%  29%  [ 9 ]
other 19%  19%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 31

autism_person
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Dec 2014, 4:26 pm

in this discussion, you can discuss your theories about the risk factors and causes for autism.

IntellectualCat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Dec 2014, 4:51 pm

I think autism is caused by mutations of genes that affect how the brain develops, ie, mutations that increase growth in the brain. While I don't think environment causes autism, I think it can change how autism is expressed.

autism_person
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Dec 2014, 5:02 pm

In my opinion, autism is caused maybe by a mutation in a gene which contributes to abnormalities in the brain scans of autistic people. Based on the different IQ levels of asd people, I think the causes for each type of autism is different, because no asd person is the same.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 6:28 pm

Genes pretty much, I don't see anything else that could cause it. If anyone says vaccines I will facepalm severely.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 6:46 pm

I think it's mostly genetic, but there might be a gene + environment cause such as hormones in utero. It probably takes a perfect storm of several different genes. Note: By the storm analogy, i'm not trying to say autism is a bad thing.

There was a recent large nation-wide study showing an association with particulate air pollution. This was in Environmental Health Perspectives (it's not a junk journal, but it's not the New England Journal of Medicine either). Correlation does not equal causation, but it's something keep on lookout for.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 7:59 pm

I think autism mainly has a genetic basis, though environmental exposure to different chemicals in utero could play a factor as well. I'm kind of sitting on the fence about the whole vaccination thing, because my dad is definitely on the spectrum, and my grandmother on his side may have some mild traits, which explains the genetic side of things, but my autistic traits became more prominant after I recieved a vaccination when I was a year old, allegedly. I think that vaccines may be a "trigger" for autistic traits in people who have certain genes.

Now, do I think people should stop vaccinating their kids? Hell no. Vaccinations are important, and with all these parents refusing to vaccinate their kids nowadays, we're seeing a comeback for all sorts of horrible diseases that we previously thought we eliminated, like whooping cough. I believe these diseases pose a much bigger threat to society than autism ever will. Unfortunately, it seems like large portions of the neurotypical hivemind would rather deal with large numbers of people becoming sick and dying, than a few rare individuals turning out to be autistic. I really think there should be a massive societal shift to better accept people on the spectrum, as well as people with other neurological conditions. We can accomplish great things, but we may just need some help sometimes. A math prodigy who is incapable of learning how to drive is still a math prodigy.

Shadow Wolf
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Dec 2014, 8:40 pm

I've read alot that it's probably genetic, probably something abnormal in the brain, but IMO it's probably a combination of things that we don't yet know (minus vaccines, IQ, EQ, etc.).

engineerbiology
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Dec 2014, 6:42 am

Their are many different genes which cause all the autism spectrum disorders.

I've read that over 300 genes are associated with ASD. Many people who are not diagnosed have "ASD genes". ASD (in scientific terms) is not something you have fully or you don't have it, each person with ASD have only some autistic genes (and mutations). When a person is diagnosed, he or she has ASD for 100% (ASD) or 0% (neurotypical).

Let me give an example: genes; 1,2,3,4,5 are all associated with ASD (more common in people with ASD).
But person A who is diagnosed with ASD only have genes 1,2,3. Person B has not been diagnosed, and has genes 4 and 5.

Many environmental factors are also associated with ASD.

However, I think from what I've read that environnmental factors are more difficult to research, and that it's much more likely that most of the ASD comes from genetic differences. The reason why I think this is the case, is because many brothers and sisters who don't have ASD clearly show ASD behaviors...

The brain overgrowth in autism is also not the cause for everyone with ASD. However, it clearly is something important, because it is very common in ASD people.

My answer is this: many different causes of autism.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 10:33 am

Read my theory here: http://www.rdos.net/eng/asperger.htm

In short, autism and several other non-disorders are the legacy of our interbreeding with Neanderthal.

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 11:24 am

I suspect it is largely - but not entirely genetic. I do think everyone on the autism spectrum from the most mild to the most severe are neurologically wired in such a way that causes hypersensitivity and overstimulation. This hypersensitivity and overstimulation causes the autistic person to withdraw and to engage in repetitive behavior to varying degrees for the purpose of self-calming and self-soothing. This hypersensitivity and overstimulation creates a situation where learning nonverbal social cues and interpreting how others are thinking and feeling is significantly compromised to varying levels.

- Albert Einstein

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Dec 2014, 12:39 pm

In most people, it is largely genetic, with some environmental factors.

Of course, that doesn't apply to non-idiopathic autism.

Vaccines don't have an effect. Humans are naturally biased to think that things which happen after something else must have been caused by it.