Anyone else feel uncomfortable about their name?

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 1:28 am

I hate my name so use it only in official papers - I detest how it sounds. Each of my nicknames or pen names is much better so possibly once I'll change it. I hope in US there are no problems with this? In Germany for example you can't just choose another name but need strong reason to prove to local officials the necessity.
Contrary, my surname suits me indeed.

Jezebel
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2014, 2:37 am

DevilKisses wrote:
That's why I like having a username. I think my first name is too personal. Maybe I should just make up a fake first name that I use.

Yeah, you could do that. It's basically like having another nickname xD.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 3:14 am

I never could stand my given name, and I cringed whenever someone called me by name. (For the record, it's a typical name here and written in the usual way).
It made me hate it when I got closer to people online and that hated question came up: what is your name?
Oh gad no! Another one who wanna call me that hated name. It honestly ruins the good of communicating with them for me.

Some years ago I had another name officially added. It made it easier to present myself.

But I'm still FAR more comfortable with my nicknames and Skilpadde.

DevilKisses wrote:
I understand why people would ask my name in real life. I don't really understand why people online ask for my name. I already have a username, why can't they use that? They claim they want to get to know me. What the hell does my name have to do with who I am?

I don't get it either. IMO a username is much more personal because it's something you have chosen yourself.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 3:26 am

Andreger wrote:
I hope in US there are no problems with this? In Germany for example you can't just choose another name but need strong reason to prove to local officials the necessity

It used to be like that here too, but thankfully they softened the rules about it, which is why I jumped at the opportunity to change it.

An American guy on another forum wanted to change his name, and he said it was costly and he had to appear before a judge. That's what he said anyway.

All I needed to do was fill out a form and send it in. Didn't cost me a thing, besides stamp and envelope.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 3:30 am

I'm more uncomfortable with nicknames than my actual name.

SadButRad
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Dec 2014, 5:07 am

lol if someone online asks for your name then they're probably a creep

but yeah I get it I have that too I keep feeling like I'm saying someone else's name and not mine when people ask. Don't know why it just..is that way

DarkAscent
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2014, 5:24 am

My first name can be pretty uncomfortable because it's easy to mishear and mispronounce. Even if I use the shortened version of my name it still can be misheard or mispronounced easily. Plus, either version of my name sound foreign to my ears.

I never use my Chinese middle name because when people other than my Chinese relatives use it, it feels awkward. But it feels very personal because my Gon-Gon (whom I'm very close to) chose it for me. I like the meaning of my Chinese name and I've always thought that my brother's Chinese name is pretty awesome too. It means "sleeping dragon".

My last name is pronounced differently from the spelling but I like the meaning a lot. It means "loch keeper".

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 6:40 am

DarkAscent wrote:
It means "sleeping dragon".

My last name is pronounced differently from the spelling but I like the meaning a lot. It means "loch keeper".

[/b]

That's great when ordinar names have such a beautiful meanings. Better than surnames like Smith and Baker :-)

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Dec 2014, 6:41 am

No, I like my name well enough. I don't give it out online but I think that's just common sense.

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

greengirl27
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Dec 2014, 1:19 pm

I don't like people using my name. I don't mind my name per se, but when people use it it tends to produce a panicky feeling in me.

I also find using other people's names difficult - either when talking to them directly or mentioning a person to another person. In direct conversation with someone I can mostly just avoid using their name (don't see/talk to many people anyway). If mentioning another person in verbal or written form to someone else I tend to say 'my support worker', 'my friend from university' etc, even if the person I'm talking to is aware of the other person's name.

I have no trouble using my dog's name when talking to/about her. :?

ASPickle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Dec 2014, 1:19 pm

I've always hated hearing my given name.

My surname was something of a burden in early schooling, but has grown to be a fairly useful asset; as such, I much prefer to be called by my surname in every context.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 5:35 pm

I really don't like my name. Just because I think it's ugly. And I don't feel like it matches me at all. Most of the time I just don't think about it. But I have a couple of nicknames which most people use, so I at least don't hear it often. I wish I had two names so I could at least pick one.