Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 8:19 am

NiceCupOfTea wrote:
Thanks, WelcomeToHolland.

Just a wild, crazy guess, but do you live in Holland by any chance? <_<.

I'm in the UK and applying for social housing, so basically my options are very limited. Think I'm stuck unless I can find the one place in a hundred which relaxes the rule. Personally I don't see why you can't keep a flat clean with a dog or a cat: in fact I know many people who have a dog or a cat and keep their home spotless. All you need is a frikken hoover: even I can run the occasional hoover about the place.

Actually I don't live in Holland, haha. It's a reference to a poem about raising a child with special needs. http://www.our-kids.org/Archives/Holland.html

If you have a person helping to find you a place to live maybe you can ask them specifically if you can have a dog? I'm can see how it'd be harder if your choices are already limited.

Edit because my link didn't work.

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2014, 9:00 am

No. My partner's dog died this Spring.

Prior to that, I spent several months getting decreasing amounts of sleep as she grew increasingly blind, deaf, incontinent, and afflicted with seizures. Toward the end of it, I was getting three hours of sleep at one time, and finally, she got to where she no longer took pleasure in her walks and she needed to be comforted and caressed constantly to keep her from being in total panic. I just wanted her to be tranquil and at peace, and I could no longer realistically give that to her.

When we took her in to the vet to have her put to sleep, I was relieved when I saw her relax as the barbiturate started working. I had known she was uncomfortable, and I wanted her to be comfortable. Barbiturates are usually pleasant, so I figure that it's a gentle way to go. I didn't walk out of the room when it was being done because I wanted to see her getting some relief, and as the drug started working, she relaxed in a way that she seemed to be saying, "This is what I've been needing. Relief."

I haven't really lost much sleep over it since. I haven't cried. I haven't really missed her very badly. She was a nice dog, and her ashes remain on the mantle, which I think makes the home feel more alive. Did I behave like a heartless monster? Do I now, keeping the container holding her ashes in view here in my home? I don't think I do. I'm just reconciled.

I've also had animals in my life die in tragic and senseless ways. Those hurt terribly. It's not whether an animal dies. It's whether the manner of death gave dignity to the animal. A dog being put to rest by the same veterinarian who had cared for her since she was a puppy (no other had ever touched her in 17 years), having lived to well beyond her life expectancy and having been treated like a revered elder in her waning years, is very dignified.

Last edited by Persimmonpudding on 22 Dec 2014, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 9:05 am

Off topic:

It's so cute that Brits call vacuum cleaners "hoovers" and vacuuming "hoovering" or "hooverizing."

Just like in Canada "electricity" in the home is called "hydro."

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 10:12 am

Ive had 2 dogs and a cat die from natural causes or nasty diseases.

Each time I was glad they were not suffering any more and didn't feel even slightly sad.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 12:25 pm

My cat died when she was 13 and I didn't mourn over it. She was in bad shape and could barely move so I knew her life was about to end and a month later, she passed away.

We have had other cats that would just disappear and I would miss them but never mourned, we were watching a neighbor's cat and she took off. She kept thinking her old house was her house and she didn't want the new neighbor's cats in their garage.

We did have a dog I didn't like because he was one of those dogs that liked to piss in the house so when he died, I was relieved and my anxiety got better, my mom didn't feel bad either. We also had another dog we had to put to sleep because my dad accidentally ran over him with his truck because he ran right in front of him. I didn't mourn over him either.

Squeaky was the only dog we had where I was actually happy he died and felt no disappointment. My mom calls him "that damn dog" because of the tremendous anxiety and meltdowns he would cause me so it made it harder for her to deal with. I did get to see his body and he looked like he was sleeping but his body was solid hard. My brother and his friend buried him in a plastic container and then put dirt over it. They also made a grave site for him.

When my parents first moved out here, they brought their dog with after getting rid of the other ones they had and she was old. She was blind, deaf, incontinent, had arthritis, and I did not want her in the house because of pee. I was relieved she took off that day and my dad did go to the animal shelter to look for her. She was never found so she may have found a spot to pass away and other animals may have gotten her body because we didn't see her body anywhere when we had the blackberry bushes taken out.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 12:42 pm

I'm pretty heartless too.

I'll tell you a secret. IRL I am a cold caller. People tell me everyday that their loved ones have just died and I just say "Oh sorry to hear that mr jones" and then I just carry on with what I'm saying with very little regard for their loss.

It's life that makes you hard. And sometimes you just become immune to what people are saying to you, especially when you've heard it a thousand times before.

Anyway...I'm putting a pizza in now. Anyone want a slice?

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 1:30 pm

babybird wrote:

I'll tell you a secret. IRL I am a cold caller. People tell me everyday that their loved ones have just died and I just say "Oh sorry to hear that mr jones" and then I just carry on with what I'm saying with very little regard for their loss.

It's life that makes you hard. And sometimes you just become immune to what people are saying to you, especially when you've heard it a thousand times before.

One Question...

Does it have salami on top?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 1:38 pm

Amity wrote:

One Question...

Does it have salami on top?

:D No, just plain old cheese and mushroom. It was ok though, £1 from Aldi. You just can't whack it.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 1:42 pm

That's alright for one quid, save me a slice, Ill be there pronto, lol

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 1:56 pm

^^I've whacked it. It didn't even touch the sides.^^

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 2:06 pm

babybird wrote:

What happened to Mr Jones? :(

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 2:08 pm

alisoncc wrote:
I was only "diagnosed" just over twelve months ago. Prior to that I used to work really hard to appear "normal", showing sympathy and empathy as and when necessary, when the reality was was that it was just a show/pretend.

Mentally my aspie logic would kick in. If reading about someone feeling so depressed they were contemplating suicide, internally I would think "go for it, there are seven billion people on the planet, lots more like you so won't miss one". When I see ads for World Vision on the box showing starving kids in Africa, my thoughts run to "feed them this year so they can starve next year - that's an exercise in futility".

When, on another forum, they were discussing the Middle East, I suggested they build a 20ft high barbed wire fence around the whole area and leave them to fight it out amongst themselves. Then when the fighting had died down, the West should go in finish off the rest as they were most likely to have committed war crimes in order to win. And my favoured form of government anywhere would be a benign dictatorship modified by assassination.

Heartless me ! ! ! No way, I'm just a logical aspie. :twisted:

My aspie logic does not work like that. :P

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 2:10 pm

Toy_Soldier wrote:
babybird wrote:

What happened to Mr Jones? :(

He killed himself whilst faking his own death. :wink:

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 3:48 pm

babybird wrote:
He killed himself whilst faking his own death. :wink:

Oh. I have heard of things like that. One guy decided he wanted to dig his own grave in advance in his back yard. He had a heart attack while digging though and his body fell in it.

:wink:

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 3:55 pm

^^ :lol: ^^Lol

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 6:52 pm

babybird wrote:

To be fair, 9/10ths of them are probably lying just to get you off the phone faster. Cynical, me? Oh what little faith ye have... >.>

starkid wrote:
Please do not get an autism service dog or any other "pet." Using living creatures for your own wants is cruel. The animals are taken from their families, trained for a life of servitude, prevented from exercising their natural instincts, and considered to be property/a commodity.

If you are able to have a non-human companion, please consider rescuing one from a shelter instead. You will save the creature from euthanasia and it will cost less.

Uh, people have been using dogs for their own wants/needs for millennia. If it went that much against their natural instincts, it wouldn't have been possible. As can be seen with the thousands of species that have never been domesticated or tamed.

My main worry about having a dog would be giving it enough exercise. I consider it cruel not to walk a dog often enough, but not cruel to keep one as a pet. Contrary to whatever impression I gave in my first post, I'm not hellbent on getting a dog. It was a thought for the future, not right now.

B19 wrote:
A heartless monster has no capacity for feelings. You have demonstrated quite a capacity for strong feelings, recently very painful ones, angry ones, and sad ones. FWIW, I think the feeling you hide away most is your emotional vulnerability, from others, from yourself. Only you know if this is true; it's just a guess on my part. Try to forgive me if I am completely wrong.

No, you are not completely wrong. I could give an example, but I would be going so far off this thread's track I'd end up in the mountains of Wales... :-/

Thanks to everyone who posted. It's nice to know I am not completely alone on this...