Do any of you sensory seekers like cold air?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 4:22 pm

The snap to the air in wintertime, that cold, dry air? Where I am, the air is only chilly, but I like that too. I also like the heat and the way the sunrays feel on my bare arms in a short sleeved T-shirt. I like walking on the muddy sand on the beach.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 6:31 pm

I don't know if I'm a "sensory seeker", but I definitely like cold air. I think that's more because I have a strong preference for fall and winter wear. I don't really like shorts and short sleeves, so I always get really hot in the summer. This time of year is perfect for me.

And I don't like the heat of the sun on my body, it usually irritates me.

- Sherlock Holmes

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 6:47 pm

I sometimes like the cold air.
It can wake me up more so I feel more alive.
It also has more O2 density, and I think that makes it easier to think.
It can also be physically painful though, especially with wind.
The still cold air is not so bad, but I have never liked wind.

IntellectualCat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Dec 2014, 6:49 pm

The cold seems to calm down my body and my emotions, while the heat seems to fire them up (no pun intended). I hate the heat because it makes me feel anxious and makes it more likely for me to have a meltdown.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 7:39 pm

When I was in my 20's, I used to use cold air to cure my tension headaches.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 9:33 pm

I LOVE cold air. My room has to be really cold in order for me to sleep. If not, then I find it hard to rest at night.

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 9:49 pm

L_Holmes wrote:
I don't know if I'm a "sensory seeker", but I definitely like cold air. I think that's more because I have a strong preference for fall and winter wear. I don't really like shorts and short sleeves, so I always get really hot in the summer. This time of year is perfect for me.

I was impervious to cold as a kid and really liked it.

As I got older I had trouble maintaining my body temperature or something. I could be shivering in the shade while everyone around me was fine.

I like cold, snappy air on my face. Other than that, the cold and heat get to me too much.

Defies categorization. A mixed bag.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 2:12 am

Agh, cant stand cold things in general. Except dairy products.

Even something like drinking water out of the fridge's water filter thing... I put it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds before drinking it.

Gotta have heat, overall. Even during the summer I dont use the AC in the car, and occaisionally have the heater on for the heck of it. At home, my room is always the warmest place in the house; I've got tons of electronics running at once, generating heat, and my room is directly above the heater in the basement. The windows and door are typically never open most of the time, so no heat escapes.

I'd do well in a tropical or desert environment.... unfortunately, I live in the crap zone known as Illinois, about an hour away from Chicago. It's cold here right now, so I dont go outside at all if I can avoid it.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 5:10 am

The most eggsfoliating kind of cold air is when it is 7 degrees F with 20 mph wind in your face.

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2015, 2:52 am

It's the middle of summer over here in Australia.

Yesterday, it was 37 Degrees Celcius - I was hot, sweaty, sticky and clammy which made me very moody, depressed and irritable.

*It's worse when it's over 32 Degrees C with a humidity of more than 50%*

After having 6 cold showers at 2 hourly intervals, I waited...and waited for the cool change to sweep in from the South East.

Today, it's 18 Degrees C, raining and windy and I love it!

My mum is complaining that it's too cold for her - saying 'yesterday was beautiful'...I think she's mad.

I'm walking around in boxers and a bra while she's all rugged up.

I've got all the windows open with cold air coming in from every angle to cool things down after yesterday and mum is complaining - telling me to close them.

She is saying that old-age has thinned her skin so much to the point where anything under 30 Degrees C is too cold....to which I say that I have Asperger's Disorder to the point where anything above 25 Degrees C is too hot.

So, it's old age vs Aspies to see whether the windows remain open or closed - and I have tried the compromise by half closing them (or closing half of them), but it's all or nothing with her.

Ah well, my house, so I guess I win. :D

My ideal temperature or 'comfort zone' is 15-25 Decrees C with a nice cold breeze blowing to freshen things up. Compared to yesterday, today is heaven!

If it gets hot like that again, I'm going to spend my days in the air conditioned mall, inside the electrical store where they have all their air conditioners for sale - all operating and set to 16 Degrees C eating/drinking raspberry slushies.

I am a Winter gal.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 6:03 am

I love the cold and when it's toasty hot. Though it's not very hot where I live even in the summer, apart from odd 24c days. I also like the rain and snow.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 6:32 am

I like cold air when it's hot but I like warm air when it's cold.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 6:39 am

I like cold air. I'm fortunate enough to live in a temperate climate where it never gets too hot or cold but I lived in Korea for a while and I found the summer intolerable due to the heat and humidity.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 7:31 am

I like it cool. My ideal house temperature is 60-65 degrees F, with the bedroom five to ten degrees cooler. I don't get that very often, LOL.

If I'm dressed for it, or only going to be out for a few minutes, I like it COLD. Give me a pair of longjohns, a knit hat, wool socks, insulated boots and gloves, and a decent coat and a 10-mile hike in subfreezing weather sounds great.

I also like wet.

Warm is nice (up to about 75 degrees F and moderate humidity). I don't do hot well. I get nauseous and tactile-defensive and my brain slows down to a crawl. I joke that I'm one of Terry Pratchett's trolls.

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2015, 11:47 am

I like my living area to be around 18C to 20C

Out doors. I hate the cold. I live in a place that gets cold enough to kill, quickly, a full grown human if left unprotected.

Could enough sometimes that frostbite (real frostbite, not just cold fingers) can happen in a couple of minutes.

I makes my skin hurt. Makes my teeth hurt. My joints tend to ache more when it gets really cold. My mood suffers greatly. Depression gets worse because I am trapped indoors a lot.

Some mornings it costs me $2.00 in diesel to warm up the vehicle enough to drive it (Duramax high idle), even then the engine may be "warm", but there is no heat yet and the thing is still frozen to the ground, the park brake is frozen, the power steering fluid is super thick and viscous so the steering is hard and the brakes are hard to apply (same pump).

Rubber cracks. So cheap walmart "winter boots" break. Ever seen a little kid running around in broken winter boots? it's sad.

The rubber seals in vehicle systems fail, vehicles with airbag suspensions and plastic air lines tend to fail faster.

House roofs break. I had two metal panels come up and OFF this winter. The extreme temperature changes makes the wood flex and contract, which works the nails and screws out backwards. Now that they use clips instead of screws the problem is worse.

I hate the cold, Bah Humbug.... :x

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 12:47 pm

I hate cold, but I love warmth.

Even during a very hot day in middle of summer I like to sit on a black stone in full sun because it is so pleasantly hot. And in the winter I love sitting with my back attached to the heater.

Cold weather always makes me depressed and irritable. I rarely leave my house during winter time and when I have to I will wear really warm clothes and still feel cold. I just hate the cold air on my face and knees (my boots and long coat won't cover knees and jeans don't give enough cover there).

During warm weather I become calm. I might have trouble concentrating if it is definitely too hot but I know my ways to cool down (not hard to do if you are cold sensitive like me - a dish with cold water near me is enough to make the air temperature around cool enough) so its not a big deal.

My preferred temperature is 24-28*C, especially when there is a lot of humidity and I feel a thunderstorm is beginning to create.
I can stand 29-35*C without much problems if I can hide in a shadow and I can survive 15-23*C if I can have a blanket on me.
Anything less than 15*C feels like freezing cold.