Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 4:44 pm

These psychologists are messing with my mind. I went in expecting to be taking an IQ test, among possibly some others, and he tells me he doesn't really think it is necessary to do so. Why? Because it is apparently that obvious to him, from my developmental history and interaction with him, that I am indeed autistic. I just want to take the tests! :evil:

Ok, in all honesty, I think I will be fine not taking them (hopefully), because this time I'm getting the official diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder, with no intellectual or speech impairment, and secondary mild ADHD (inattentive type). The attention test results were actually leaning a bit more towards me not having it, making it hard to say either way, but considering how many traits of ADHD I actually have anyway he says it makes more sense to put it there, just so it will be clear that I do have attention problems to anyone who requests the results.

I am a bit disappointed, I really wanted to see what kind of results those tests would come up with (especially the IQ test), but considering I've already been diagnosed I don't think I'm going to go through this again with another psychologist just for that.

And I'm more confident this time because he told me specifically why it is unlikely to be anything else (none of my difficulties can possibly be explained by any anxiety or personality disorders, and mild ADHD sure doesn't cover it either). I already knew that, but it helps to have it confirmed by a professional.

So I guess I can call today a good day :)

- Sherlock Holmes

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 5:06 pm

Has the doctor given you a paper stating your diagnosis? If so, you could get accommodations at many universities.

Or will they mail it to you?

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 5:29 pm

I've been having a really difficult week. Reading this made me happy for you. Not that you have autism, but that you have an answer.

:-D

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 5:34 pm

Don't want to congratulate you on the diagnosis, but at the same time I was hoping you'd get it. You seem to be having a hard time with no support from anyone, so hopefully an official diagnosis will enable you to get some help. Also I just thought you were a likely candidate, tbh: obviously couldn't diagnosis you, but I had my suspsicions.

As for tests, I didn't have any either. Just basically had two interviews 5 months apart (that's the NHS for you). I did ask the guy who did my preliminary assessment about the lack of tests, and he basically said that the psychiatrist was aware of all the tests and knew the questions that they contained, but preferred to ask his own questions.

Still feel a bit weird about it when I see people on WP say they've had like 10 tests. On the other hand, I felt like the psychiatrist who spoke to me and my mum was competent and sharp and that he covered everything tests would have done. I'm never very happy with those questionnaires where you have to decide if you strongly agree/agree/disagree/strongly disagree with a list of statements anyway. There are too many statements which are too vague for me: without more info, I don't really know whether I agree or disagree or not. Or too many statements which I feel just don't really apply to me: either I don't have enough experience with whatever it's going on about, or it's just not very relevant to me in some other way.

In that sense, I didn't miss not having tests at all. I do wonder if I'd have fared as "more" or "less" autistic if I'd done a few though.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 5:36 pm

Off topic a bit:

I'm sorry, Quivers, that you've had a tough week. You really seem like a sincere, nice person. I hope you have a better week this week.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 6:24 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Has the doctor given you a paper stating your diagnosis? If so, you could get accommodations at many universities.

Or will they mail it to you?

He said it will be upon request. So when I go to school, I will have them request it from him through whatever student disability center they have.

I kind of wanted a copy for myself, but when I asked him if I get a copy that's what he told me. I suppose I could have just asked for one anyway, I just didn't realize until now that I didn't actually ask for one directly. These kinds of things don't really register in my mind until after the fact :|

- Sherlock Holmes

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 6:26 pm

QuiversWhiskers wrote:
I've been having a really difficult week. Reading this made me happy for you. Not that you have autism, but that you have an answer.

:-D

Thanks! And I hope your week gets better :)

- Sherlock Holmes

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 6:27 pm

I wonder if you could the psychologist and/or his/her secretary, and ask if the results could be mailed.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 6:39 pm

NiceCupOfTea wrote:
Don't want to congratulate you on the diagnosis, but at the same time I was hoping you'd get it. You seem to be having a hard time with no support from anyone, so hopefully an official diagnosis will enable you to get some help. Also I just thought you were a likely candidate, tbh: obviously couldn't diagnosis you, but I had my suspsicions.

As for tests, I didn't have any either. Just basically had two interviews 5 months apart (that's the NHS for you). I did ask the guy who did my preliminary assessment about the lack of tests, and he basically said that the psychiatrist was aware of all the tests and knew the questions that they contained, but preferred to ask his own questions.

Still feel a bit weird about it when I see people on WP say they've had like 10 tests. On the other hand, I felt like the psychiatrist who spoke to me and my mum was competent and sharp and that he covered everything tests would have done. I'm never very happy with those questionnaires where you have to decide if you strongly agree/agree/disagree/strongly disagree with a list of statements anyway. There are too many statements which are too vague for me: without more info, I don't really know whether I agree or disagree or not. Or too many statements which I feel just don't really apply to me: either I don't have enough experience with whatever it's going on about, or it's just not very relevant to me in some other way.

In that sense, I didn't miss not having tests at all. I do wonder if I'd have fared as "more" or "less" autistic if I'd done a few though.

I had 3, but these last 2 I had to wait almost 4 months for. I'm glad I'm finally done waiting, it's been pretty much all I could think about up to this point (and clearly I'm still thinking about it now).

I guess I will never get to see all these tests people here talk about. I only took one, and it was very similar to the online ones except it was longer and I answered verbally. It gave me a number saying it was highly likely I was autistic, but I didn't like the fact that it was so subjective. That's why I still sought out the official diagnosis.

I don't understand how someone can self-diagnose. I'm not against it per se, but it confuses me, because I know from experience that I will constantly obsess over whether or not I'm correct. I probably still will even with the official diagnosis, unfortunately. But considering his diagnosis was based almost entirely on my developmental history, and not all the random traits that I constantly try to classify as autistic or not autistic, it is a bit more reassuring.

- Sherlock Holmes

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 6:50 pm

L_Holmes wrote:
...I guess I can call today a good day :)

I am glad for you!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 6:53 pm

congratulations on getting a diagnosis that could help you in school.

if you want to get a ball park idea of your IQ, just google "free IQ test" and answer away.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 7:18 pm

QuiversWhiskers wrote:
Reading this made me happy for you. Not that you have autism, but that you have an answer.

I echo this sentiment.

L_Holmes wrote:
I know from experience that I will constantly obsess over whether or not I'm correct. I probably still will even with the official diagnosis, unfortunately.

This happened for me as well (obsessing over whether or not the diagnosis was correct). Eventually, I accepted it.

For me, the next step after diagnosis is just as important. It involves answering the question, "What does having Asperger’s means to me?” and “How do I move forward in life knowing that I am on the spectrum?". These questions were posed to me by the clinical psychologist who diagnosed me.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 8:23 pm

Just to add: the reason why I didn't want to congratulate you was because I don't think having an ASD is anything to celebrate. Much as I don't think having Crohn's disease is anything to celebrate :? Not trying to start a barney: I'm aware that other people view ASD differently; that they think it gives them certain advantageous traits. And that's totally fair enough. But I still can't bring myself to say, "Congratulations! You have Autism Spectrum Disorder!"

Quote:
I don't understand how someone can self-diagnose. I'm not against it per se, but it confuses me, because I know from experience that I will constantly obsess over whether or not I'm correct. I probably still will even with the official diagnosis, unfortunately. But considering his diagnosis was based almost entirely on my developmental history, and not all the random traits that I constantly try to classify as autistic or not autistic, it is a bit more reassuring.

Yeah, same. I still have moments of doubt which can be quite excruciating, but for the large part I believe the diagnosis was the correct one and I'm glad I got it. I think my diagnosis was based mainly on my developmental history too (and whatever impression I gave off at the interview >_>).

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 8:46 pm

NiceCupOfTea wrote:
Just to add: the reason why I didn't want to congratulate you was because I don't think having an ASD is anything to celebrate. Much as I don't think having Crohn's disease is anything to celebrate :? Not trying to start a barney: I'm aware that other people view ASD differently; that they think it gives them certain advantageous traits. And that's totally fair enough. But I still can't bring myself to say, "Congratulations! You have Autism Spectrum Disorder!"

I get what you mean. I've seen at least a couple people on WP saying autism makes us better, that it's not even a disorder, and acting like we're some elite race of humans. Frankly, I find that just as silly, and offensive, as Autism Speaks' view of autism.

I'm not necessarily super glad I have autism, more just that I'm glad I know that I have autism.

- Sherlock Holmes

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 8:48 pm

Autism does not imply superiority.

However, it is true that an "autistic viewpoint" has led to many useful inventions over the years.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 8:50 pm

NiceCupOfTea wrote:
Just to add: the reason why I didn't want to congratulate you...

I agree.

NiceCupOfTea wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, same. I still have moments of doubt which can be quite excruciating, but for the large part I believe the diagnosis was the correct one and I'm glad I got it. I think my diagnosis was based mainly on my developmental history too (and whatever impression I gave off at the interview >_>).

While I can agree with the sentiment for myself (I myself could never self-diagnosis myself), hopefully, this won't become another "Is self-diagnosis OK" thread. Though I did very much enjoy the back and forth banter. It was quite entertaining.