Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Angel_the_alien
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Feb 2015, 4:59 pm

Sometimes I meet someone and I just get the feeling that they could quite possibly be an Aspie. It's nothing specific, but just random feelings. Like at the pet rescue organization where I volunteer, there was a lady who was a new "foster parent" and was holding the dog that was her new foster. She wasn't really talking to anyone, just standing there amongst all the chaos, snuggling her dog. Two people who worked there went up to her because they were looking into placing another dog in a "foster home." The first person introduced her, saying, "This is Jane. She's a new foster." The second person asked Jane, "Would you possibly want two?" (Meaning, two dogs.) Jane responded, "Yes!" The second person got excited and said, "Really? You'd want two?" Jane replied, "Yes! THIS one!" She'd heard "You want to?" and thought the person was asking, "Would you possibly want to foster?" which would have been an odd question since she was already fostering a dog.

I don't know why, but something about the whole exchange made me think of Asperger Syndrome. This has happened to me other times before. I wish there was a way to ask, "Do you have Asperger Syndrome?" without offending, embarrassing or confusing the person.

In Alcoholics Anonymous they have a secret code question that a person can ask to see if another person is also in a 12 step program. I remember hearing that the Christian fish symbol was created as a way for Christians to subtly ask each other if they were a Christian. It would be cool if we had some sort of question or signal!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2015, 5:02 pm

What? They didn't teach you the secret handshake when you received your diagnosis?

I am shocked!

Shocked, I say!

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SpaceAgeBushRanger
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Feb 2015, 11:38 pm

I've heard the phrase 'Are your a friend of Hans?' suggested as an autism password. It's a play on the homosexual password 'Are you a friend of Dorothy?' and the guy who first described Aspergers Syndrome.

You could say something about Neurotypicals. If she knows what that word means she's probably autistic.

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Feb 2015, 12:05 am

'Are you a friend of Han's' is pretty cool imo.

The problem is if you are wrong it may be difficult to play off.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 12:09 am

Of course! The password is "p.a.s.s.w.o.r.d." Shhh, don't tell... :wink:

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 12:19 am

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 8:42 am

Fnord wrote:
What? They didn't teach you the secret handshake when you received your diagnosis?

I am shocked!

Shocked, I say!

:wink:

a secret handshake isnt an option, because some aspies dont like touch.
a code can be: "You're not a neurotypical, are you?" You'll be surprised how many nts have no idea what this word means, or an aspie, either. or you can simply ask if she has sensory issues or a sensory processing disorder. mostly autistic people have it.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 2:09 pm

SpaceAgeBushRanger wrote:
I've heard the phrase 'Are your a friend of Hans?' suggested as an autism password. It's a play on the homosexual password 'Are you a friend of Dorothy?' and the guy who first described Aspergers Syndrome.

You could say something about Neurotypicals. If she knows what that word means she's probably autistic.

I'm gay and have never heard of such a thing. Is it a regional or generational thing?

A while back I read the history of high-fiving, and basically it was a sort of "gay secret handshake," before it became a popular gesture amongst the rest of society. But no one would recognize it as such today.

As for asking someone if they're on the spectrum... first, they'd need to know the "secret question" and two, they'd need to know their diagnosis... and the latter is the tricky part - there are many undiagnosed people out there that show traits that others pick up on that have no idea they're on the autism spectrum. That's one huge reason why it's probably not a good idea to start asking random people if they have AS.

iammaz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Feb 2015, 8:27 am

If you were in a store cuddling a puppy, would you want someone coming up to you and trying to find out if you knew you were AS?
If it was me, I'd want you to keep handing me puppies and not ask me any questions.