Losing the Aspergers/Autism explination?

Page 6 of 7 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 4:21 am

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
As far as this not listening and misdiagnosis happening more with autism, I don't think that's necessarily true. I think there are definitely some conditions that are definitely easier to diagnose, but also many that are not. I have a few friends whose kids have different issues and have diagnostic problems, one has a child with a severe medical problem which caused kidney and liver failure, and they went through several diagnoses.

I was actually pregnant another time other than the two children I have. That other baby they said he had an undiagnosed problem but he wasn't developing properly, was missing essential organs, and WOULD BE born still/dead. Well, he came out crying, and nobody was prepared for it, so there was nothing set up in intensive care for him. The staff pretty much just watched him die because they said there was nothing they could do. They diagnosed him wrong and he died because of it. I'm never going to get over it, obviously. For me, it's more anger towards those staff who sat around. He was born at 31 weeks, was not missing organs as predicted (they were underdeveloped but a normal amount for 31 weeks) and 90% of babies born at 31 weeks live if they go to the NICU so this was a huge failure. Anyway, to get off this tangent, I think misdiagnosis is just a (sometimes very sad) fact of the medical profession, and it's not limited to ASD. ASD just happens to be one of many conditions that are hard to diagnose.

Also, I think it's important to say that just because someone's problem is more minor than global problems doesn't mean it doesn't count as a problem. i tend to agree that being diagnosed with anxiety instead of autism is not a big deal, but for some who are already in a fragile state of mind, it could seriously impact their self worth, and that does count as a "real problem" in my books.

I am very sorry you had to have that awful experience.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 4:49 am

There has be discussion about why we just can't let go of anger or even why we should be because everybody has problems Compared to the rest of the population, people with multiple medical conditions, people who are psychotic, or even children who are autistic, Adult Aspies are much more likely to be fragile.http://psychcentral.com/news/2014/10/13/suicidal-thoughts-10-times-more-likely-in-adults-with-aspergers/76016.html
. This study was for diagnosed Adults. It is frightening to think what the percentages are for the under and misdiagnosed.

It was great that this study came out. Combined with numerous people posting here with suicidal ideation this study has certainly affected my attitudes and how and what I post. As glad as I am this came out, it also demonstrates part of the problem. They are "puzzled", but yet they are throwing around theories. While I agree with a lot of the theories it does not look like Aspies were consulted.

In fairness they do note more studies are needed. With no Aspergers in the DSM-5 and Aspergers likely to be eliminated from the ICD=11 follow-up studies are unlikely to happen. Studies are also needed to for the Adult Austic population.

Shift is about the ability to change, specifically the ability shift focus when changing activities. It is a category in the BRIEF-A test for Executive Functioning.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 6:52 am

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
As far as this not listening and misdiagnosis happening more with autism, I don't think that's necessarily true. I think there are definitely some conditions that are definitely easier to diagnose, but also many that are not. I have a few friends whose kids have different issues and have diagnostic problems, one has a child with a severe medical problem which caused kidney and liver failure, and they went through several diagnoses.

I was actually pregnant another time other than the two children I have. That other baby they said he had an undiagnosed problem but he wasn't developing properly, was missing essential organs, and WOULD BE born still/dead. Well, he came out crying, and nobody was prepared for it, so there was nothing set up in intensive care for him. The staff pretty much just watched him die because they said there was nothing they could do. They diagnosed him wrong and he died because of it. I'm never going to get over it, obviously. For me, it's more anger towards those staff who sat around. He was born at 31 weeks, was not missing organs as predicted (they were underdeveloped but a normal amount for 31 weeks) and 90% of babies born at 31 weeks live if they go to the NICU so this was a huge failure. Anyway, to get off this tangent, I think misdiagnosis is just a (sometimes very sad) fact of the medical profession, and it's not limited to ASD. ASD just happens to be one of many conditions that are hard to diagnose.

Also, I think it's important to say that just because someone's problem is more minor than global problems doesn't mean it doesn't count as a problem. i tend to agree that being diagnosed with anxiety instead of autism is not a big deal, but for some who are already in a fragile state of mind, it could seriously impact their self worth, and that does count as a "real problem" in my books.

I keep thinking about what you say here, and coming back to it.

You seem like an amazing person to keep trying, keep going, stay positive the way you do. Thank you for sharing that.

Jezebel
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jan 2015, 2:12 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
There has be discussion about why we just can't let go of anger or even why we should be because everybody has problems Compared to the rest of the population, people with multiple medical conditions, people who are psychotic, or even children who are autistic, Adult Aspies are much more likely to be fragile.http://psychcentral.com/news/2014/10/13/suicidal-thoughts-10-times-more-likely-in-adults-with-aspergers/76016.html
. This study was for diagnosed Adults. It is frightening to think what the percentages are for the under and misdiagnosed.

It was great that this study came out. Combined with numerous people posting here with suicidal ideation this study has certainly affected my attitudes and how and what I post. As glad as I am this came out, it also demonstrates part of the problem. They are "puzzled", but yet they are throwing around theories. While I agree with a lot of the theories it does not look like Aspies were consulted.

In fairness they do note more studies are needed. With no Aspergers in the DSM-5 and Aspergers likely to be eliminated from the ICD=11 follow-up studies are unlikely to happen. Studies are also needed to for the Adult Austic population.

Shift is about the ability to change, specifically the ability shift focus when changing activities. It is a category in the BRIEF-A test for Executive Functioning.

I definitely know that people on the spectrum are more sensitive (and sometimes, more immature) than NTs tend to be in certain situations. I've read of many realizing they were getting offended at what people said because they were being overly sensitive. I suppose that's something some people work with their psychologists/psychiatrists with? I used to be like that too but never discussed it with my psychologist or my psychiatrist though. As for the study and the article, I definitely agree with them both because it has to do with something I mentioned before - the depression/anxiety itself causes self-confidence issues (or suicidial ideation in this case), and not the fact that ASD might not be picked up.

"He said adults with Asperger’s syndrome or autism tend to only be seen by mental health professionals if they have severe mood changes or psychotic symptoms in addition to their Asperger’s syndrome or autism.

This means they may be given an incorrect diagnosis such as schizophrenia, and suicidal behavior in adults with Asperger’s syndrome or autism is often not linked to the unrecognized condition itself."

That's definitely the problem. Like when I saw my first psychologist, she was treating me for depression (but also a bit for anxiety). The depression and anxiety has to be taken care of first before an ASD diagnosis can even be considered.

I looked up the journal article and I have to admit that I'm surprised that they still used the term Aspergers! It does make me worry a bit about the results of the study though, knowing how inconsistently the diagnosis was given out. And as you mentioned, with AS also likely being taken out of the ICD-11, I wonder how trustworthy the results will be in the future. I agree that it would've been better if they had not only studied those diagnosed with AS, but rather adults diagnosed with any ASD.

Another thing is - and the article admits this - is that the study conclusions only relate to adults (the ones in the article had a mean age of around 31). The results can't be applied to younger people yet, so there's really no information about suicidal ideation in that age group, which would be pretty interesting (at least to me, since youth suicide rates are so high already). They also can't be applied to those that are undiagnosed, which the discussion also admits: "We also cannot say anything about those adults who do not seek a diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome but who might be struggling, undiagnosed, in the community." The last thing main thing I had a problem with was this admission: "Second, comparisons with other studies could not be closely matched for age, sex, or other risk factors."

I don't really understand what you mean about the studies and aspies not being consulted though?

Okay, I figured you were talking about change. Interestingly, I've never heard anyone use the word "shift" instead though.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 2:27 pm

ASPartOfMe how likely does it seem they might take AS out of ICD 11? Some things I read said it would stay but I'm not up to date, do you know more?

Jezebel
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jan 2015, 2:52 pm

Waterfalls wrote:
ASPartOfMe how likely does it seem they might take AS out of ICD 11? Some things I read said it would stay but I'm not up to date, do you know more?

I think it's still being debated, but to be sure, I would say just keeping watching the proposed changes.

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 10:33 pm

Thanks Waterfalls.

About the suicide article, that's very interesting to me. I can see how it could be related to not having a diagnosis. I know with my husband who was just diagnosed, all of his life he was told " just do it like everyone else, you're so smart why can't you do it, etc." and it has deeply affected him because he internalized it. People don't really understand, it's not just uncomfortable for him to talk to people (like just shy), he actually doesn't know what to do...and nobody ever bothered to explain, they just told him to GET OVER IT. I can definitely see how not having an understanding of it can impact the person.

It's ridiculous to me also how limited the adult services are. It's a bit like dropping off a cliff... My eldest son is 15 so we are starting to get into panic mode because there's little for him at 18 and he's SEVERELY autistic. Services for less severe are even more scarce. That has to change.

Jezebel
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jan 2015, 11:30 pm

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
Thanks Waterfalls.

About the suicide article, that's very interesting to me. I can see how it could be related to not having a diagnosis. I know with my husband who was just diagnosed, all of his life he was told " just do it like everyone else, you're so smart why can't you do it, etc." and it has deeply affected him because he internalized it. People don't really understand, it's not just uncomfortable for him to talk to people (like just shy), he actually doesn't know what to do...and nobody ever bothered to explain, they just told him to GET OVER IT. I can definitely see how not having an understanding of it can impact the person.

It's ridiculous to me also how limited the adult services are. It's a bit like dropping off a cliff... My eldest son is 15 so we are starting to get into panic mode because there's little for him at 18 and he's SEVERELY autistic. Services for less severe are even more scarce. That has to change.

Yeah, it definitely can be related to not having a diagnosis (even though we can only hypothesize why it's related, due to correlation not equaling causation). Persistent feelings of being overwhelmed, guilty, lonely, misunderstood, etc... (combined with internalization for some) can certainly get to anyone mentally and emotionally; but neurobiologically speaking, it's still the depression (though technically I suppose it could be low neurotransmitter levels) causing the irrational beliefs that often lead to suicidal ideation (and it's likely also the cause of self-confidence issues). You (generally) cannot be suicidal without also being depressed, and we know how depression causes irrational thoughts. It's very sad how those who go without a diagnosis tend to be depressed, but it's totally understandable because of having to try to cope with being different in this world. Your post actually made me wonder if autistic people are likely to have lower serotonin levels and are perhaps more sensitive to depression (and other conditions associated with neurotransmitters). Perhaps that might explain some of the conditions that are comorbid with autism?

I do know that some aspies have been told to get over situations (not necessarily ones related to social communication though, more like getting upset over little things, as some aspies have said) and after introspection, realized the advice they were given was right. It seems like many autistic people don't tend to have the ability to understand "tough love" (due to the sensitive nature brought up earlier) and/or the ability to use context to understand communication. In your husband's case though, it's sad more people didn't realize he was unable to socialize due to not knowing how (like many of us). His situation actually sounds pretty similar to something my father may have experienced. Can I ask approximately how old he is/what decade he grew up in? I want to compare those raised in certain decades to see how society has changed their opinion of those who were thought to be "eccentric", but were really autistic.

I don't know much about the services for kids and adults though. Could you explain what's lost when someone turns 18? I would love to learn more about that. I always hear about other countries having better resources, but then people seem to have had drastically different experiences with it and end up disagreeing over it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2015, 2:35 am

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
Thanks Waterfalls.

The people studied were diagnosed, that is the scary part. I can definitely relate what your husband had to deal with. I was always told I was "book smart". I took me awhile but I finally figured out it is what is known as a "left handed complement" http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/pay+someone+a+left-handed+compliment. I am a left handed person so it is a double stigma.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2015, 2:54 am

Waterfalls wrote:
. For a long time Aspergers was not in the ICD=11 beta but now it is back in.. I don't have the links in front of me but I have read several articles noting the British clinicians are not diagnosing Aspergers in anticipation of the ICD dropping Aspergers.

As for shift or set-shifting it seems to be the clinical term.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2683039/
http://www.psych-it.com.au/theses/article.asp?page=71
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S001002859990734X

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2015, 6:34 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The people studied were diagnosed, that is the scary part. I can definitely relate what your husband had to deal with. I was always told I was "book smart". I took me awhile but I finally figured out it is what is known as a "left handed complement" http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/pay+someone+a+left-handed+compliment. I am a left handed person so it is a double stigma.

Oh right. For some reason I thought it was talking about adults who were diagnosed as adults so they were undiagnosed for a long period of time (I guess because it said they were diagnosed starting in 2004 and I was in adult in 2004 so I was thinking they were all adults in 2004- showing off my intelligence here, haha).

Jezebel
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jan 2015, 1:26 am

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
Oh right. For some reason I thought it was talking about adults who were diagnosed as adults so they were undiagnosed for a long period of time (I guess because it said they were diagnosed starting in 2004 and I was in adult in 2004 so I was thinking they were all adults in 2004- showing off my intelligence here, haha).

No, you're right. Both studies referenced only involved those who were diagnosed as adults.