Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2015, 12:11 pm

Does anyone with autism find chlorpromazine helpful? Any experiences? Opinions?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2015, 3:16 pm

Chlorpromazine is the generic name for Thorazine. It was actually the first psychotropic drug; it came out about 1955.

I really don't recommend it. It can cause tardive dyskinesia--that's not anything pleasant to have.

Has it helped you? If it can help you with finishing university, then maybe I'd recommend it.

Otherwise: no.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2015, 3:27 pm

I have severe anxiety. It doesn't respond to benzos anymore. My olanzapine does nothing. I have bruises all over me from meltdowns.

I want to take it prn, as in not every day, just when things are real bad.

Also I keep getting hypomanic moments and episodes of screaming.

I've tried most of the newer drugs. They don't help.

RTFM
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2015, 4:28 pm

I took it years ago for a several months and apart from some weight gain i didnt have too many side effects from it. In contrast the atypical antipsychotic side effects were much much worse for me. As some of the atypicals cause TD anyhow, you might Largactil better.

Luzhin
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jan 2015, 4:29 pm

Thorazine? Do they still prescribe that stuff? I was on it in the 70's. First injection knocked me to the floor....literally. After that used both pill and liquid forms. I ended up not being able to move off of the couch, became even more light-sensitive than usual and extremely paranoid. It also permanently affected my vision. Nope, way too many scary negatives for Thorazine....but, this is just my experience and opinion. Maybe it would be different for you.

pama
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jan 2015, 6:18 pm

I take Thorazine for sleep, agitation. I like it a lot. It has helped me calm down & think more clearly.