Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Korin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2015, 1:54 pm

If autism isn't a disease then why do people say thst autistic people brains are physiologically different from NTs? That sounds like a brain disease to me

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 2:07 pm

Would you say a Mac computer is a disease because it's not a windows PC? People with autism are just people with brains that are wired different.

gamerdad
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jan 2015, 4:44 pm

Korin wrote:
If autism isn't a disease then why do people say thst autistic people brains are physiologically different from NTs? That sounds like a brain disease to me

"Why do people say that black peoples' skin is physically different from whites'? That sounds like a skin disease to me."

Being different doesn't make something bad, or wrong, or broken.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 6:18 pm

I'd have to agree with the above.

Autism is not a disease.

Korin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2015, 7:00 pm

Black people have a skin pigment disorder from too much sun.
If autism isnt a disease - neither is bipolar or schizophrenia.
But I still believe anybody wired differently is seen inferior to Ordinary people. So they have a brain dysfunction.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 7:11 pm

Sometimes, it's a "dysfunction"; other times, it's a "difference."

Korin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2015, 7:14 pm

No, a physical disease (not screwing with the wiring of a brain) is a difference. Anything that f***s with the brain (brain Tumor, seizures, ASD, Parkinson's, schizophrenia) is a dysfunction.

DrHouseHasAspergers
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2015, 7:15 pm

Korin wrote:
But I still believe anybody wired differently is seen inferior to Ordinary people. So they have a brain dysfunction.

Faulty logic. Being seen as inferior does not equal actually being inferior. What "ordinary" people think of someone has no determination on the person's actual worth. Perceptions can be notoriously unreliable, even in ordinary people.

http://www.childbrain.com/pddassess.html

-Socially awkward and special interests don't mean autism.-

Korin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2015, 7:18 pm

If you can't function in society, then you are inferior.

Jezebel
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jan 2015, 7:28 pm

Korin wrote:
Black people have a skin pigment disorder from too much sun.
If autism isnt a disease - neither is bipolar or schizophrenia.

Actually, they're generally not considered diseases. I can't think of anything listed in the DSM that most people refer to as a "disease." Every one I know of is more often referred to as a disorder.

Also, having more melanin than a white person is not a disorder; many ethnicities have more melanin. You're either confused or you're a troll. I can't tell which.

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2015, 7:37 pm

Autopsies of adults on the Autism Spectrum show decreased/absent levels of the neurotransmitter GABA (Gamma Amino Butyric Acid) due to misshapen or faulty receptors:

http://www.jneurosci.org/content/26/26/6897.full

My ASD brain theory (interested in neurochemistry) is that there's a faulty gene involved which correlates to the absorption (or not) of the Amino Acid L-Glutamate which is necessary for the production of GABA in Autistic people.

I have had some success in treating the symptoms of my Asperger's Disorder with PreGABAlin and GABApentin (Lyrica) - unfortunately I am unable to procure a prescription for this due to using the drug 'off label' and not for neuropathic pain (even though I also suffer from Fibromyalgia).

Doctors here in Australia are way behind their USA counterparts regarding this and don't like prescribing it at all - not helped by the fact that Pfizer (the makers of Lyrica) were sued for 43 million dollars for claims that Lyrica can be used to treat the symptoms of ASD's without clinical trials being done.

http://consumerist.com/2012/12/12/pfize ... -of-drugs/
http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20121130/msgs/1033042.html

*where do I sign up? lolz

There is a definite link between neurotransmitters and Autism - the messages for cognitive and social development are just not 'getting through'....evidenced by the fact they do, once I start taking Lyrica....but doctors don't want a bar of it and I have tried to explain my own neurobiochemistry to them (I can totally internalise my awareness and feel/become aware of my own biochemical processes)....they just think I am insane at that point.

I can get synthetic GABA supplements from a health food store - but a month's supply is like $70 and I am on the disability pension.

I can prove that Autism is a disease in much the same way as Epilepsy is a disease (the correlation between epilepsy and ASD's is also bloody astounding).

I can cure/treat both using certain neurotransmitter precursors like preGABAlin and even Inositol Choline supplements, with a diet low in Glutamines and Glutamates.

I haven't got enough evidence to link expectant mothers drinking diet drinks and consuming Aspartame and Aspartic Acid during pregnancy for the significant rise of ASD's over the past 50 years, but I am still working on it - as well as the role Vitamin D has to play.

I read another thread about the role of Vitamin D in Asperger's and I only have to say this - Vitamin D is necessary for the absorption of Calcium into our bones - Calcium deficiency at the Neuro Synaptic Gate also halts the production of GABA...see a pattern emerging here?

I wish that doctors and scientists would take me seriously, but they don't...ah well. I hope I can get some feedback on here and maybe something good may come from all this.

Korin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2015, 7:45 pm

Your theory is BS because gaba only makes me sleepy.

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2015, 7:57 pm

Well, I provided links and scientific evidence to the contrary, but if it doesn't work in your case, it doesn't work in your case.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 7:58 pm

This thread is going nowhere fast; locked.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I