Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Would you ever try being a monk/monastic for a time ?
I would try if I could . 27%  27%  [ 17 ]
I don't know , it might be interesting... 13%  13%  [ 8 ]
I very much want to ! !! !! 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
Not likely . 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
No , never . 19%  19%  [ 12 ]
I am interested , but I don't think I could live up to the concept... 26%  26%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 62

idlewild
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Feb 2015, 11:20 pm

Many monasteries have room for guests. I knew a mother of seven who would go on retreat with nuns for a wek every 6 months.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 75 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

slave
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 9:14 pm

idlewild wrote:
When I was a kid I thought about being a nun. I'm a religion nerd (one of my special interests) and the idea of routine and quiet was appealing. The lack of sex was not.

ROFLMFAO :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

you think there is NO SEXUAL activity in Convents :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

how quaint :roll:

Let's get acquainted with the facts.

"VATICAN ADMITS PRIESTS RAPED NUNS, FORCED ABORTIONS
ROME - The Vatican acknowledged yesterday a damning report detailing dozens of cases of Roman Catholic priests and missionaries forcing nuns to have sex with them, including one case in which 29 nuns in a single diocese became pregnant.

In some cases, nuns were raped or forced to have abortions. Others were forced to take the contraceptive pill, said the report, cited in the Italian daily newspaper La Repubblica."

source: http://www.topix.com/forum/world/philippines/TSAV3MU4JUS0TS2KC

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

".....we always dreaded was the visit of the father confessor to the convent. Each time it was a different priest but they were all basically the same. I hated going and always attempted to get in the back row. I lived in a convent so long that I would never trust any priest. All of the ones I met were rotten and vile. The ordeal of confession sometimes took all day. One by one the nuns had to file in to the room where the priest was waiting. Never did I see a priest in the convent who had not been drinking.

The room was bare except for the inevitable statue of the Virgin Mary. The priest perched in a straight-backed chair and the nun must come in and kneel before him. If she got out without being defiled and FORCED into some unspeakable depravity she was fortunate. No one ever interrupted the priest and the woman, no matter what transpired. One after another the nuns would enter and leave the room.

At other times it was not unusual for the Mother Superior to usher in a drunken priest who would pick out a nun and take her to a cell with him for more liquor and SEX. The Mother Superior was a hard and carnal woman who had borne numbers of illegitimate children of priests and usually she drank with the visitors. The priest was well fed, healthy, and strong and lived a relatively easy life; therefore a poor, weakened nun was no match for him, to fight him off. Because she was helpless, he did whatever he pleased and violated her any way he chose. There is no one to defend or help her and none to even care about her being forced into harlotry. Because Mother Superior locked the cell there was no way to escape.

Often I have nursed these little nuns after they had been brutalized and shamefully abused. Only the priest's imagination limited the kind of indignities he could inflict on his victim. I saw and experienced all kinds of sickening evidences of the wildest kinds of lust being exercised in the convents. The body of the nun often looked as if it were something to be thrown out to the hogs, covered with dozens of bruises and other marks.....

.....On one occasion after we were stripped, three drunken, leering Catholic priests lurched in and eyed the nude girls lustfully and each chose a partner to go to a cell with him. Remember, these are cloistered convents and the priest is free to do anything he pleases behind the cloak of rotten religion. This same wicked whore-monger will return to his flock to say mass and hear confessions of people he dupes into believing they can be absolved from their sins. Full of fornication, perversion and vice, he acts as their god!

....Often we were thrown on the floor and kicked in the stomach. Being PREGNANT was no protection, for the priest knew that BABY was going to be MURDERED anyway when it was born. MANY babies are born in the convents because of the evil corruption of this foul system, cloaked in religious garments.

....I saw scores of babies born in the convents.....is the product of a shameful, illicit union with a drunken priest which was forced on her. She knows from bitter experience that the baby will only be permitted to live four or five hours at the very most. It will never be cleaned or wrapped in a warm blanket for Mother Superior will put her hand over its mouth and pinch its nostrils to snuff out its life.

This is why there are lime pits in all the convents. Babies' bodies are tossed in these holes to be destroyed.

source:http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/nun.htm EMPHASIS MINE

I could go on and on.....

B19
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 9:24 pm

Yes, it's perhaps a bit naive to think that convents etc are always bastions of sanctity...there is a quirky saying amongst religious in the Catholic church that my friend told me of.. "He/she would sell his/her soul to the Devil, in order to be saintly..." I think it would make Pope Francis smile and he is probably no stranger to the phenomenon...

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 9:52 pm

slave wrote:
".....we always dreaded was the visit of the father confessor to the convent. Each time it was a different priest but they were all basically the same. I hated going and always attempted to get in the back row. I lived in a convent so long that I would never trust any priest. All of the ones I met were rotten and vile. The ordeal of confession sometimes took all day. One by one the nuns had to file in to the room where the priest was waiting. Never did I see a priest in the convent who had not been drinking.

The room was bare except for the inevitable statue of the Virgin Mary. The priest perched in a straight-backed chair and the nun must come in and kneel before him. If she got out without being defiled and FORCED into some unspeakable depravity she was fortunate. No one ever interrupted the priest and the woman, no matter what transpired. One after another the nuns would enter and leave the room.

At other times it was not unusual for the Mother Superior to usher in a drunken priest who would pick out a nun and take her to a cell with him for more liquor and SEX. The Mother Superior was a hard and carnal woman who had borne numbers of illegitimate children of priests and usually she drank with the visitors. The priest was well fed, healthy, and strong and lived a relatively easy life; therefore a poor, weakened nun was no match for him, to fight him off. Because she was helpless, he did whatever he pleased and violated her any way he chose. There is no one to defend or help her and none to even care about her being forced into harlotry. Because Mother Superior locked the cell there was no way to escape.

Often I have nursed these little nuns after they had been brutalized and shamefully abused. Only the priest's imagination limited the kind of indignities he could inflict on his victim. I saw and experienced all kinds of sickening evidences of the wildest kinds of lust being exercised in the convents. The body of the nun often looked as if it were something to be thrown out to the hogs, covered with dozens of bruises and other marks.....

.....On one occasion after we were stripped, three drunken, leering Catholic priests lurched in and eyed the nude girls lustfully and each chose a partner to go to a cell with him. Remember, these are cloistered convents and the priest is free to do anything he pleases behind the cloak of rotten religion. This same wicked whore-monger will return to his flock to say mass and hear confessions of people he dupes into believing they can be absolved from their sins. Full of fornication, perversion and vice, he acts as their god!

....Often we were thrown on the floor and kicked in the stomach. Being PREGNANT was no protection, for the priest knew that BABY was going to be MURDERED anyway when it was born. MANY babies are born in the convents because of the evil corruption of this foul system, cloaked in religious garments.

....I saw scores of babies born in the convents.....is the product of a shameful, illicit union with a drunken priest which was forced on her. She knows from bitter experience that the baby will only be permitted to live four or five hours at the very most. It will never be cleaned or wrapped in a warm blanket for Mother Superior will put her hand over its mouth and pinch its nostrils to snuff out its life.

This is why there are lime pits in all the convents. Babies' bodies are tossed in these holes to be destroyed.

source:http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/nun.htm EMPHASIS MINE

I could go on and on.....

If the story at the link is true, why aren't there plenty of other sources to confirm it?

idlewild
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Feb 2015, 11:39 pm

*healthy, consensual, unashamed sex

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 75 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2015, 5:53 pm

I like my own routine. I think that I would find it difficult to adapt to a group routine. Ok, so I have a sort of routine at work, I turn up at 9am every day, but I figure that in a convent/monastary your day is all set out for you and I don't think I could cope with that. I'd need me time to escape. I would feel trapped without that me time.

I could never join the army either. I would feel trapped in that lifestyle and kind of routine too.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2015, 6:03 pm

eric76 wrote:

If the story at the link is true, why aren't there plenty of other sources to confirm it?

The source here isn't saying that all convents and monestaries are/were like that, but it is niave to think that bad people don't sneak into places were they can take advantage of others and pretend that they are all holier than thou. Unfortunately some of the most unkind people in the world are very clever and very able to manipulate the system. It's a shame how a bad few ruin it for the rest, but that is the world we live in I am afraid. The same thing happens in the care system too unfortunately. You get the good people who are in the job to help the elderly/disabled and then there are the psychopaths who know that they are in a position to take advantage of those who trust them. The police force, schools and other trusted professions attract psychopaths too even though there are always those who are in it for the right reasons.

casswise
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Feb 2015, 2:15 am

It's something I think about from time to time. I've spent a bunch of time with some Buddhist nuns, and they even thought I'd do well at that sort of life. It'd be really nice to have such a strict routine, but I would never be able to get my sleep to stay that consistent for very long. I've had a job where I started at 5:30am, but that start time only lasted for a couple of months and my sleep went anywhere from going to sleep before midnight and getting 5-6 hours of sleep, to going to bed at 4pm and waking up at midnight, so I think that would be pretty difficult.

The thought of not having to worry about money is so appealing (my debt is terrifying), and reading stories about nuns doing a great deal of work in their lay communities and all the gardening and singing and stuff... yeah that all sounds really nice. The big problem though is that my religious beliefs don't exactly fit into faiths that have this sort of thing, and as much as I loved spending time with Buddhist nuns, the thought of leading a monastic life that's not directly connected to my spirituality doesn't sit well. I may spend time at a monastery that allows guests of different faiths at some point though, just to see what it's like.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 6:12 am

casswise wrote:
It's something I think about from time to time. I've spent a bunch of time with some Buddhist nuns, and they even thought I'd do well at that sort of life. It'd be really nice to have such a strict routine, but I would never be able to get my sleep to stay that consistent for very long. I've had a job where I started at 5:30am, but that start time only lasted for a couple of months and my sleep went anywhere from going to sleep before midnight and getting 5-6 hours of sleep, to going to bed at 4pm and waking up at midnight, so I think that would be pretty difficult.

The thought of not having to worry about money is so appealing (my debt is terrifying), and reading stories about nuns doing a great deal of work in their lay communities and all the gardening and singing and stuff... yeah that all sounds really nice. The big problem though is that my religious beliefs don't exactly fit into faiths that have this sort of thing, and as much as I loved spending time with Buddhist nuns, the thought of leading a monastic life that's not directly connected to my spirituality doesn't sit well. I may spend time at a monastery that allows guests of different faiths at some point though, just to see what it's like.

I think that with a routine, you should be able to get used to it pretty quickly.

One thing I do is I don't go into my bedroom without meaning to go to sleep. It works so well that if I go in there with the intention of changing shoes and immediately leaving, I'll often immediately feel very sleepy and end up going to sleep for a few hours. On those very rare occasions when I'm not asleep in a very few minutes, I get back up and go elsewhere so that I don't start to lose the connection between going to bed and falling immediately asleep.

I suspect that in a monastery, you probably wouldn't spend much time in your room except when going in to sleep.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 4:04 pm

...Since you were staying as a " civilian " what did you do all day ?
When your months were over what did you go back to , after being away for three months ?
Did you pay anything while you were there ?

yperborean"]Very interesting topic. I lived in a Greek Orthodox monastery for over 3 months (I'm Orthodox), and it was one of the most interesting and valuable experiences I've ever had. The Orthodox Church is based on monasticism (although priests are allowed to marry, in order to be a bishop or higher you have to be a monk), so unlike Roman Catholicism, monks and nuns aren't regarded as separate from other clergy, and are not divided into different orders such as Benedictines, Dominicans etc. Although monasteries are usually in a secluded location, they often serve a community of lay people as well, some of whom help with services.
But those who think that the monastic life is one of quiet contemplation and prayer would be disappointed. The usual day consisted of getting up at 04.30 for Matins and the Liturgy, followed by breakfast of black coffee and dry bread, after which you worked in the gardens/kitchen/workshop until Vespers at 18.00, which was followed by a decent supper with wine, then another short service and then bed. There was no time for personal prayer, reading or thinking beautiful thoughts, - a feature of monastic life is that 'the Devil' concentrates his efforts on religious communities and constantly tempts you with sinful thoughts - you just learn to pray within yourself while you're working ... when you're not thinking about food or sex or some other such thing!
I did think of becoming a monk, - the idea of wearing a long beard and pony tail is quite appealing - but realised that I didn't have the vocation. Monasticism has a certain Romantic attraction, but the reality is very different. However, it's possible to stay in monasteries for short periods (the Orthodox are particularly welcoming, even to those of other faiths), so for those of you who are interested I can recommend it. Monks and nuns are wonderful people, their way of thinking is completely different from the rest of the world's ... so it will come as no surprise that you will find not a few monastics who are on the spectrum.[/quote]

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 5:22 pm

Be a monk?! Heck no! I'm too much of a sinner to become a monk. Plus when ur a monk, you can't troll kids on call of duty or lure people into the woods in runescape and kill em. I think i'll pass.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 10:26 pm

The New Camaldoli Hermitage seems to have much better hours than the more traditional monasteries and each monk gets his own cottage.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Camaldoli_Hermitage:

Quote:
Approximately twenty monks live and work at the hermitage. Each monk lives in a small cottage, called a "cell," which is divided from its neighbors by a high wall, and includes a small garden. Weekday prayers begin with vigils at 5:30 a.m. and conclude with vespers at 6:00 p.m. Labors include a guest ministry, retreats, a bakery, a book store, cooking and writing.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 10:39 pm

By the way, it is actually possible to live in a monastery without being a monk or a nun as a conventual oblate or a claustral oblate.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblate#Conventual_oblates:

Quote:
To be distinguished slightly from other secular oblates, there is a small number of conventual or claustral oblates, who reside in a monastic community. If the person has not done so previously, after a year's probation they make a simple commitment of their lives to the monastery, which is received by the superior in the presence of the whole community. More on the level of committed volunteers, they would share in the life of the community and undertake, without remuneration, any work or service required of them. They are not, however, considered monks or nuns themselves. Often they wear a religious habit similar to, but distinct from, that of the monks or nuns. A conventual oblate may cancel this commitment at any time; and it is canceled automatically if the superior sends the oblate away for good reason, after simple consultation with the chapter.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 4:00 pm

...How do you approach them to stay there , in general ???

uote="Hyperborean"]Very interesting topic. I lived in a Greek Orthodox monastery for over 3 months (I'm Orthodox), and it was one of the most interesting and valuable experiences I've ever had. The Orthodox Church is based on monasticism (although priests are allowed to marry, in order to be a bishop or higher you have to be a monk), so unlike Roman Catholicism, monks and nuns aren't regarded as separate from other clergy, and are not divided into different orders such as Benedictines, Dominicans etc. Although monasteries are usually in a secluded location, they often serve a community of lay people as well, some of whom help with services.
But those who think that the monastic life is one of quiet contemplation and prayer would be disappointed. The usual day consisted of getting up at 04.30 for Matins and the Liturgy, followed by breakfast of black coffee and dry bread, after which you worked in the gardens/kitchen/workshop until Vespers at 18.00, which was followed by a decent supper with wine, then another short service and then bed. There was no time for personal prayer, reading or thinking beautiful thoughts, - a feature of monastic life is that 'the Devil' concentrates his efforts on religious communities and constantly tempts you with sinful thoughts - you just learn to pray within yourself while you're working ... when you're not thinking about food or sex or some other such thing!
I did think of becoming a monk, - the idea of wearing a long beard and pony tail is quite appealing - but realised that I didn't have the vocation. Monasticism has a certain Romantic attraction, but the reality is very different. However, it's possible to stay in monasteries for short periods (the Orthodox are particularly welcoming, even to those of other faiths), so for those of you who are interested I can recommend it. Monks and nuns are wonderful people, their way of thinking is completely different from the rest of the world's ... so it will come as no surprise that you will find not a few monastics who are on the spectrum.[/quote]

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 7:53 pm

...I am wearing all-polyester black slacks and these partially-open toe but not in the middle " fisherman/carpenter "-type sandals _ I feel rather monk-/priest-like in these :) !

NowhereWoman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Oct 2015, 11:18 pm

I actually have had daydreams about this quite a bit throughout my lifetime and have started and re-started a book about a monk forced out of his environment (but who eventually realizes he's no match for the outside world and winds up living quietly in a cave) many times.