I feel ASD is affecting me emotionally more than anything

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 7:49 am

I am having problems coping at work, like being under pressure and keeping up with the work, etc. It is affecting everyone but I feel it's affecting me to a greater extent, which I assume is to do with my condition? Anyway, I keep crying uncontrollably if I don't feel comfortable with having to do a certain amount of work, and I think now I have cried too much, and it is starting to affect my image to my colleagues. People can only empathize so much, and then they just start to see you as a drama queen, and start to lose respect for you.

I just feel like my difficulties, behaviour, thinking, how I motivate myself, all of that is all to do with my emotions. I don't have as many social issues as the average Aspie, and the social issues I do have are somehow linked to my emotions, not difficulties picking up social cues. I am fine with all that. But my emotions are what affects my social abilities, like feeling so overwhelmed with the world that I complain about almost everything, which makes me out to be a whiner. Or getting so frustrated about something, that I essentially show it in my body language and facial expressions, which doesn't do my image much good either. Or feeling impatient, flustered, anxious...all of this seems to affect me socially. But otherwise, I can engage in conversations, pick up on social cues, join in general NT humour and ''get'' it, recognise facial expressions and body language and tone of voice, feel other people's emotions, engage in small talk, have an interest in people, enjoy gossip, can usually read between the lines, can lie, and so on and so forth.

I am on antidepressants, which has decreased my emotional state affecting my social skills, but I still get anxious, highly strung, impatient, and tearful. I know those are common human traits, but I display all four of those and are all extreme.

So I was just wondering, is there anyone else here (probably other females) who feel like your ASD is basically only affecting your emotions, which leads to erratic behaviour and severe irrational thinking? Because that's what I feel mine is, and something tells me it makes me a very strange Aspie. I often wonder if I have an emotional disorder that hasn't been discovered yet.

Logston
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2015, 9:20 am

Joe90 wrote:
So I was just wondering, is there anyone else here (probably other females) who feel like your ASD is basically only affecting your emotions, which leads to erratic behaviour and severe irrational thinking? Because that's what I feel mine is, and something tells me it makes me a very strange Aspie. I often wonder if I have an emotional disorder that hasn't been discovered yet.

I'm kind of similar. I've a great deal of trouble with self-regulation, I get very hung up when things go wrong and am sometimes unable to move on (minor things), and I'm of the habit of irrational thinking when I reach an elevated emotional level as most people are. I'd speculate that the reason I'm highly reactive has more to do with emotional immaturity, because while my reactions can be disproportionate to any given situation in comparison to others my age, the same reaction wouldn't be atypical from somebody, perhaps significantly, younger. My emotions are short-term and always in reaction to something, never "just because". I think that's what'd separate it from a mood disorder?

I do have my fair share of social issues and other fun stuff typical of people on the spectrum. I mean, the way you describe it is different, but I can still relate to it a bit.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 2:17 pm

I have crying meltdowns, and once I really get started sobbing, it's physically hard to stop. It's not always an emotional thing per se. Sometimes it gets triggered by hunger or sensory overwhelm, or just plain mental confusion.

One major aspect of ADHD is it can be challenging to think through things in the moment and inhibit your emotional reactions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-QC4voqmRg

Russell Barkley wrote:
It is going to leave you prone to not regulating your limbic system. You are going to be very emotionally impulsive. You will be characterized as having low frustration tolerance, impatience, quickness to anger, unable to tolerate waiting. Showing your emotions more easily than others, and more raw, unmoderated emotion...hence the term, impulsive emotion. And more generally, more easily excitable.

Now, if all of that sounds like a mood disorder, it isn't. Mood disorders are where the limbic system is overexpressing abnormal levels of emotion, and individuals have trouble regulating it. That would be bipolar disorder for instance, which is largely a limbic system disorder. In contrast, ADHD is not a mood disorder. It's a failure to regulate mood disorder. It's a self-regulation of emotion disorder. The emotions the individual is having are quite normal, but most people would have suppressed them, would have inhibited, moderated, self-calmed, self-soothed, and then brought those emotions in line with their longer-term welfare in that situation. That is what the person with ADHD cannot do as well: inhibit, self-calm, self-soothe, contemplate, and moderate that emotion.

I also think it's common for girls/women to automatically begin to tear up when we get upset, because many of us have been socialized not to get angry and actually speak up for ourselves the same way males are allowed to do.

Last edited by dianthus on 21 Feb 2015, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 2:21 pm

One of my executive functioning problems is with emotional control. I work from home, though, and am self-employed, so a lot of people don't see it outside my family.

They, however, would say I am very easily flustered and get angry when frustrated (though it blows over quickly), and I cry a good bit - a lot more than NT women.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 2:32 pm

I cry among other things when I'm confused, and when I'm reminded of bad stuff from the past. Many people likely think less of me for it, but I burned out trying to please people and actually cry more the more I care what people think, it's just too much. Perhaps getting confused by what and why you're being pressured at work factors in?

Whatever the case, nothing you've written that I read looked like anything but you, has not seemed strange for an Aspie to me. We're all different, but to me you fit right in not quite fitting in at WP if that makes sense.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 5:54 pm

I also have those crying meltdowns as well. Not the violent ones that people think that all people on the spectrum have. I've only had two violent ones in my life. They only happen every two months. I guess I'm lucky that way. I could be having them a lot more.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 6:01 pm

I do often feel like my AS affects me emotionally more than anything. I have some social problems, but those can be exacerbated by my emotional problems, like my irritability, oversensitivity, and shyness. My worst problems are my meltdowns and anxiety.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 6:17 pm

Lot of my meltdowns is with me crying and when I get frustrated. Thanks to being undiagnosed growing up, I have learned to hold in my feelings by not expressing them because it would always get me into trouble. Make me a target to get picked on by other kids for being a cry baby, having other kids see they hurt me, my mom getting mad at me for crying like a two year old and getting scolded for my emotions so I learned it was wrong to get upset and hold them in. Of course this isn't healthy but there are still times I need to hold them in, work for example. My crying meltdowns is also caused by my anxiety and I also start shouting and yelling. Apparently people have control over this. I thought this was normal for everyone and I couldn't understand why I would get punished for how I felt as a child and my feelings. At least I wasn't breaking things or throwing anything or harming people but occasionally I would lash out but it was never bad because I never destroyed property or sent anyone to the hospital or caused everyone an unsafe environment. I was an adult when another aspie told me it's how you express it that gets you into trouble.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.