Why do people think I'm some sort of alien being?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

duck12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Feb 2015, 5:14 pm

I mean I do nothing to people, I am gentle I have never hurt or even cussed anyone out, and yet people still think I'm some sort of traitor to society, no young people want to even bother with me, and all I get from girls is dirty looks because they obviously feel I'm unattractive. I know I have a slightly poor posture, but its better than it used to be and I am working on it getting back to normal.

I have no support in this issue, I feel very lonely and depressed sometimes and nothing seems to work when trying to get to know people.They always have a better person who can take over the role of friend.

Is there a way to get around this? I don't feel like there's an escape and I have very little to look forward to anymore.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 6:15 pm

We all would have to see you in person, and how you come off, in order to give you any feedback on this.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 6:17 pm

Just say "take me to your leader."

Then they'll know you're a person.

Seriously.....who cares if they think you're "some kind of alien?" You have a job. You're progressing in your life. Screw those people! Seriously!

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 7:41 pm

duck12 wrote:
I mean I do nothing to people, I am gentle I have never hurt or even cussed anyone out, and yet people still think I'm some sort of traitor to society, no young people want to even bother with me, and all I get from girls is dirty looks because they obviously feel I'm unattractive. I know I have a slightly poor posture, but its better than it used to be and I am working on it getting back to normal.

I have no support in this issue, I feel very lonely and depressed sometimes and nothing seems to work when trying to get to know people.They always have a better person who can take over the role of friend.

Is there a way to get around this? I don't feel like there's an escape and I have very little to look forward to anymore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

The Uncanny Valley

Quote:
The uncanny valley is a hypothesis in the field of aesthetics which holds that when features look and move almost, but not exactly, like natural beings, it causes a response of revulsion among some observers. The "valley" refers to the dip in a graph of the comfort level of beings as subjects move toward a healthy, natural likeness described in a function of a subject's aesthetic acceptability. Examples can be found in the fields of robotics[2] and 3D computer animation,[3][4] among others.
Mori's original hypothesis states that as the appearance of a robot is made more human, some observers' emotional response to the robot will become increasingly positive and empathic, until a point is reached beyond which the response quickly becomes that of strong revulsion. However, as the robot's appearance continues to become less distinguishable from that of a being, the emotional response becomes positive once again and approaches human-to-human empathy levels.[10]

This area of repulsive response aroused by a robot with appearance and motion between a "barely human" and "fully human" entity is called the uncanny valley. The name captures the idea that an almost human-looking robot will seem overly "strange" to some human beings, will produce a feeling of uncanniness, and will thus fail to evoke the empathic response required for productive human-robot interaction

It doesn't take much at all to get the response.
Even small/slight behaviors that vary from the norm/expected can do it.