Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

26 Feb 2015, 10:30 pm

http://www.msgtruth.org
I just happened to come across this website after searching for more information about Taurine.

Here's an article on Autism...
http://www.msgtruth.org/autism.htm

Quote:
MARCH 19, 2013 - It is now reported that the autism rate is 1 in 50 children in the US and 1 in 38 children in South Korea. The rate has essentially risen 200-fold since the 1940's. In 2006 which showed glutamate was elevated in the brains of autistic males. In 2007 it was discovered that some autism genes code for glutamate synapses. Currently, nutrition experts teaching parents to cook for autistic children, specifically avoid free glutamate and MSG in the diet as well as gluten and casein, which are also sources of free glutamate. Unfortunately, the MMR vaccine currently contains free glutamate as a preservative and was added to these vaccines in 1988 after the patent was granted in 1982.

Just wondering what you think of this website?

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 10:35 pm

No. That's what I think. No, no, no.

The 'increased rate of autism' is directly related to the increased ability to diagnose autism.

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

26 Feb 2015, 10:56 pm

ominous wrote:

The 'increased rate of autism' is directly related to the increased ability to diagnose autism.

Okay.

The site says that Taurine might help to combat the problem MSG allegedly creates. Now forgive me if i'm wrong, Taurine contains sulphur, and i remember reading about a connection to Broccoli, sulphur, sulphrophane, and oxidative stress.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 11:11 pm

Where did these articles you've read first appear: a peer-reviewed medical journal, or a tabloid?

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

26 Feb 2015, 11:16 pm

This Taurine seems to be used to treat seizures, and seizures are linked to 30% of people with Autism.

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

26 Feb 2015, 11:18 pm

Fnord wrote:
Where did these articles you've read first appear: a peer-reviewed medical journal, or a tabloid?

From here...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/fayeflam/20 ... -broccoli/

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 12:30 am

Uranus wrote:
This Taurine seems to be used to treat seizures, and seizures are linked to 30% of people with Autism.

What on Earth are you on about? Where do you get those statistics?

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

27 Feb 2015, 6:23 am

ominous wrote:
Uranus wrote:

What on Earth are you on about? Where do you get those statistics?

Thought it was well known that epilepsy is a comorbid of Autism?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 1:47 pm

I only skimmed it, but a lot of it makes sense from my own personal experiences & observations. A friend of mine, also on the spectrum, is very sensitive to MSG. Myself? Not so much - well, not that I've noticed.. but then again I don't make a habit of eating MSG. But I also don't remember ever having headaches from it as my friend describes.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Feb 2015, 3:52 pm

Uranus wrote:
ominous wrote:

Okay.

The site says that Taurine might help to combat the problem MSG allegedly creates. Now forgive me if i'm wrong, Taurine contains sulphur, and i remember reading about a connection to Broccoli, sulphur, sulphrophane, and oxidative stress.

MSG doesn't cause these problems. A quick Google shows no reputable websites running this, let alone reputable scientific journals. It is something made up by a quack.

Keep eating MSG!

On "taurine contains sulphur" - yes, and sugar contains hydrogen. If the Hindenberg had been full of sugar, then things would have been very different.

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

27 Feb 2015, 5:07 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
MSG doesn't cause these problems. A quick Google shows no reputable websites running this, let alone reputable scientific journals. It is something made up by a quack.

Keep eating MSG!

On "taurine contains sulphur" - yes, and sugar contains hydrogen. If the Hindenberg had been full of sugar, then things would have been very different.

If it's safe then why are food manufacturers making it so difficult to know what's MSG and what's not MSG? They keep changing the name to something else. Saying things like "no MSG" when in fact it has 'Yeast Extract', or 'Autolyzed Yeast', or 'Hydrolyzed Proteins'.

I'm sure it's no coincidence that every time i have Aspartame i feel quite ill. I remember using sugar for my coffee full of normal sugar and Aspartame, i almost went to a doctor for depression (i was already on Prozac and had no change of dosage). A few days after i stopped using it my mood lifted.

Fitzi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 5:22 pm

My son (suspected ASD) has had very little exposure to MSG. I get migraines from MSG, so I never ate it while I was pregnant, and we never have it in the house. We don't eat at restaurants that use it either. The only times he has had it was if he happened to eat some Doritos or something at someone else's house.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 6:03 pm

Uranus wrote:

Bats flap their arms and a significant number of people with autism flap their arms, so bats must cause autism?

There is no logic here.

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

27 Feb 2015, 6:51 pm

Well, won't cause much harm to try to eliminate MSG if you are sensible. It is just bad practice to put this crap in our food.

i found this list of hidden names for MSG...
http://www.msgmyth.com/Hidden_Names_for_MSG.pdf

Quote:
The following substances always contain factory created free glutamate, the harmful form found
in MSG.
MSG Gelatin Calcium glutamate (E623)
Monosodium glutamate Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein
(HVP)
Textured Protein
Monopotassium glutamate
(E622)
Hydrolyzed Plant Protein (HPP) Yeast Extract
Glutamate (E620) Autolyzed Plant Protein Yeast food or nutrient
Glutamic Acid (E620) Sodium Caseinate Autolyzed Yeast
Vegetable Protein Extract Senomyx (wheat extract labeled
as artificial flavor)
Any hydrolyzed protein
Calcium Caseinate Sodium caseinate Magnesium glutamate (E625)
Monoammonium glutamate
(E624)
Soy protein, soy protein
concentrate, soy protein isolate
Whey protein, whey protein
isolate
Natrium glutamate Ajinomoto Vestin
Anything hydrolyzed or autolyzed
The following substances often contain some factory created free glutamate in varying amounts.
Please note that some food labels list several of these items, which can add up to a
considerable and dangerous amount in one product:
Malted Barley (flavor) Natural Flavors, Flavors,
Flavoring, seasonings
Citric Acid (when processed from
corn), Citrate (E330)
Barley malt "Low" or "No Fat" items
Malt Extract or Flavoring Smoke flavoring Dough Conditioners
Maltodextrin Soy Sauce Yeast Nutrients
Caramel Flavoring (coloring) Soy Sauce Extract Carrageenan (E407)
Stock Wheat, rice, corn, or oat protein Bouillon
Broth Gluten and gluten flour or powder Pectin (E440)
Amino acids (as in Bragg's liquid
amino acids and chelated to
vitamins)
Algae, phytoplankton, kombu
extract, sea vegetables, wheat/
barley grass powders, seaweed,
alginate seaweed extract
Protein powders: whey, soy, oat,
rice (as in protein bars shakes
and body building drinks)
Natural Chicken, Beef, or Pork,
Flavoring "Seasonings" (Most
assume this means salt, pepper,
or spices and herbs, which
sometimes it is.)
Ingredients suspected of containing enough processed glutamate to cause highly sensitive individuals to react:
High fructose corn syrup Corn starch Corn syrup
Fructose (from corn) Modified food starch Reduced fat milk (skim, 1%, 2%)
Spice Caramel color or flavoring Lecithin from soy
Lipolyzed butter fat Dextrose Rice syrup
Brown rice syrup Milk powder –dry milk solids Whey powder
Gums (guar, vegetable, xanthan) Most low or no fat foods Anything enriched or vitamin
enriched
Corn syrup solidsThese substances work synergistically with MSG to enhance flavor. If they are present, so is MSG.
Protease, protease enzymes: When seen on label, have been used to break down proteins. Consequently,
they create processed free glutamate. Look for words like “enzyme modified”, “enzymes”, “fermented protein”,
“protein fortified” , or fortified anything (milk to shampoos).
Disodium 5’ – guanylate (E627)
Disodium 5’ – inosinate (E631)
Disodium 5’ – ribonucleotides (E635)
3 Reaction flavors

Red Bull has Taurine in it, No harm in trying it in moderation, it has as much caffeine as coffee, so have to be careful.

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2015, 3:54 pm

Folks, please hear me out, because as simple as this post is, I sincerely believe it can benefit the entire forum and our discussion of many autism studies going forward.

1. Okay. Let's step back from what the actual facts are for a second, and just think logically about this. Rhetorical show of hands: who agrees that a site called "the MSG Myth" is likely to have an agenda, if not an outright mission, to discourage the use of MSG and/or uncover an alleged conspiracy related to it? (If you don't already concede this, a look at the site itself will remove any doubt.)

2. Another rhetorical show of hands: is it also likely that, because the site's reason for existing is to build a predetermined case that MSG is, quote, "A TERRIBLE HEALTH MENACE" (rather than the objective scientific study of human gastrointestinal physiology), all of its findings and reports may therefore be slanted, cherry-picked, insufficiently peer-reviewed, or propped up with unverifiable anecdotes in order to support that case--or at least to avoid contradicting it?

3. And finally, if we agree that these are reasonable assumptions, isn't it also reasonable that if we really want to understand MSG (or any particular subject for that matter), then the best course is to study reports on it from multiple sources--preferably valid scientific institutions who will follow the evidence wherever it leads, rather than one couple with a dodgy-looking website?

If we can at least agree on that, and I hope we do, then we've basically killed the thread. Because there's really not much else to talk about here until the threadstarter broadens his research into MSG and compares and contrasts what he finds.

In fact, it may be a far more worthwhile endeavor to study the psychological implications of people being fixated on their digestive tract and what they're putting into their bodies. Because every 2 or 3 weeks here on WrongPlanet, literally without fail, we WILL get one of these threads where somebody digs up "[insert food preservative, additive, or bacteria here] causes/exacerbates/is linked to Autism." And there is never any real, objective, peer-reviewed scientific evidence provided for this stuff, but it is still thrown around constantly. If you want an easy answer badly enough, somebody will be more than happy to give it to you. Preferably in exchange for money and attention.

I'm still waiting for Carl Sagan's 'The Demon-Haunted World' to arrive at my house. When I've had time to read that I will probably have more to say about this very human phenomenon, where almost everybody has this deep-seated urge to believe in something illogical or unscientific, and life is just this big thing where everybody stumbles around having to put up with each others' pseudo-scientific beliefs of choice.

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Feb 2015, 5:59 pm

I strongly agree with Evil_Chuck.

Uranus wrote:
Well, won't cause much harm to try to eliminate MSG if you are sensible.

This is true, there is little to lose except less tasty food. Perhaps it is wasted effort though?
Quote:
i found this list of hidden names for MSG...

I think this is a bit paranoid... most of the things listed aren't MSG. They might be chemically similar compounds. However, glutamate isn't harmful, it's an essential part of our diet; saying we should eliminate protein so we don't consume MSG is potentially very harmful.

The reason manufacturers use different names is because of groundless fearmongering.