Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ncovington89
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Mar 2015, 10:34 pm

In the morning times I tend to feel very lethargic, sometimes have stomach pains and my body feels almost inflamed (like my joints are swollen or something).

This lasts typically several hours, and I'm a man, so I know this is not a pregancy type "morning sickness."

Any thoughts on what this is or how to get rid of it?

ajpd1989
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 12:21 am

That sounds quite similar to what I normally experience.
In my case it's because of IBS and my hypermobility issues.

I would see a doctor about it if you don't know what's causing it, especially if it's a somewhat new development.
That's how I did...

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 12:38 am

I always feel like s**t when I wake up. Not sure entirely what causes it, but I almost never wake up feeling refreshed or ready to take on the day.

dryope
Toucan
Toucan

11 Mar 2015, 1:21 am

This really comes and goes with me. I agree it could be digestive -- I have a lot of IBS-like issues.

In my case, it is likely related to inflammation of the intestines, which I get from some food intolerances (gluten and casein are the only culprits I've identified, but there may be more).

If you do an elimination diet and keep a food diary, maybe you can identify what triggers this. Just a warning: it took two months for my inflammation to go down after eating even a tiny bit of casein (dairy). It's also taken me two years to identify just these two.

Here is the book I used for the elimination diet:
http://www.amazon.com/IBS-Free-Second-Edition-Change-Elimination-ebook/dp/B007R7SPYM

When I went to the Mayo Clinic, the dietician also recommended this book. I didn't have classic IBS symptoms like diarrhea, so I didn't suspect food intolerances. But eliminating problem foods has changed my life.

I still get inflammation (and this horrible morning feeling) when I get my period, and at other random times that I haven't identified the cause for yet.

Bodies are complicated. :(

pirateowl76
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Mar 2015, 2:45 am

Have you had your thyroid checked...?

Mine stopped working, and now most mornings of mine feel quite similar to that. Plus I'm so fatigued (no matter how much sleep I get) and depressed when I awaken that I just feel like crying (the depression passes after an hour or so, but not the fatigue), and I feel queasy so I can't eat until late in the afternoon. Definitely not a morning person. :|

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Mar 2015, 3:45 am

Ncovington89 wrote:
In the morning times I tend to feel very lethargic, sometimes have stomach pains and my body feels almost inflamed (like my joints are swollen or something).

This lasts typically several hours, and I'm a man, so I know this is not a pregancy type "morning sickness."

Any thoughts on what this is or how to get rid of it?

I'm gluten intolerant and I had all the symptoms you describe, before going on a gluten free diet.

Quote:
If you have any of the following symptoms it could be a sign that you have gluten intolerance:

1. Digestive issues such as gas, bloating, diarrhea and even constipation. I see the constipation particularly in children after eating gluten.

2. Keratosis Pilaris, (also known as 'chicken skin' on the back of your arms). This tends be as a result of a fatty acid deficiency and vitamin A deficiency secondary to fat-malabsorption caused by gluten damaging the gut.

3. Fatigue, brain fog or feeling tired after eating a meal that contains gluten.

4. Diagnosis of an autoimmune disease such as Hashimoto's thyroiditis, Rheumatoid arthritis, Ulcerative colitis, Lupus, Psoriasis, Scleroderma or Multiple sclerosis.

5. Neurologic symptoms such as dizziness or feeling of being off balance.

6. Hormone imbalances such as PMS, PCOS or unexplained infertility.

7. Migraine headaches.

8. Diagnosis of chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia. These diagnoses simply indicate your conventional doctor cannot pin point the cause of your fatigue or pain.

9. Inflammation, swelling or pain in your joints such as fingers, knees or hips.

10. Mood issues such as anxiety, depression, mood swings and ADD.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 3:50 am

pirateowl76 wrote:
Have you had your thyroid checked...?

Mine stopped working, and now most mornings of mine feel quite similar to that. Plus I'm so fatigued (no matter how much sleep I get) and depressed when I awaken that I just feel like crying (the depression passes after an hour or so, but not the fatigue), and I feel queasy so I can't eat until late in the afternoon. Definitely not a morning person. :|

That sounds almost like me when I wake up. Should I get my thyroid checked?

dryope
Toucan
Toucan

11 Mar 2015, 4:08 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I was hypothyroid -- which when I cleared it up helped with the morning issue (and so many others, like mood swings).

Then it turned out I had iron problems -- ditto.

Then I discovered I had celiac -- and removing gluten helped a lot after a few weeks.

Then the casein -- same thing.

Now I am trying to figure out the cause for the remaining times it happens (very rare now).

So -- it may be your thyroid, it may be gluten, it may be a combination of those things and another thing. Get everything checked that you can and don't be surprised if it takes a little time to resolve it.

But if it helps, this thread can reassure you that there is a good chance you are dealing with a physical problem and you aren't just "not a morning person." I thought it was just my personality until I resolved these issues. Now I'm still not a morning person, but I'm also able to walk straight in the morning and hear an alarm to wake up for meetings.

pirateowl76
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Mar 2015, 4:38 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

It definitely can't hurt to get it checked out (and can possibly help), though it's also like Dryope said, one issue being resolved might simply lead to another issue being uncovered!

I've been getting treatment for my hypothyroidism for almost three years now and they tell me my levels are normal, but there's been no improvement in my condition whatsoever. Been going through a whole round of trying to figure out what can help me (even tried prescription amphetamines--they made me drowsy!) without any luck so far. Very frustrating. It's been three years since I've been able to visit my favorite place, when previously I would go every year. Just too sick and tired to travel there nowadays. :cry:

But I'd really love to at least feel functional again, so we keep trying to figure it out. It helps to have a patient doctor...I just hope her patience doesn't run out! :oops:

But anyway--if you've been experiencing issues with weight gain, fatigue, depression, cold intolerance, and a general feeling of malaise, and if this sort of thing runs in your family, the thyroid could very well be behind much of it. It also messes with your vitamin levels, which in turn leads to even more issues...etc. etc. It all ties in together in a very tangled way--one condition (say, vitamin D deficiency) might just be a symptom of another (hypothyroidism).

Very confusing and frustrating! :x

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 9:45 am

I have never been a "morning person". Yet morning people, people who are out jogging at 5AM before work are looked up up to as the go-getters, people who are winners in life. I am an outlier again, so what else is new?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Ncovington89
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Mar 2015, 4:07 pm

Here is a strange update on the situation...

So for the past two days I have been taking a vitamin D capsule and drinking a Caffeine-Free Monster Energy (note that Monster is loaded with B Vitamins as well as Ginseng, among other things). Yesterday nothing happened, and I woke up yesterday morning feeling the same. However, for the rest of the day I was absent of the usual kinds of mood swings I have during the day. Also, *this* morning I have no joint pain whatsoever, and feel a lot better. These two things could be totally unrelated, so I'll have keep on my routine to see. Also, it is unclear whether the vit D or the monster, or some of each, is bringing about the results. Apparently a company called "Now" is selling a product called "True Calm" that contains B vitamins, so that may have something to do with the lack of mood swings.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 4:50 pm

Just to play a wild card, I find that regularly eating salmon makes me feel better, almost as if there is an anti depressant in it. Mackerel does a bit, but salmon is better.

It takes me at least two hours of smoking, coffee and tea every morning to function in other ways.

Racing thoughts can be a problem on waking, sometimes for up to 5 hours. Dunno if this is ASD or some psychiatric fringe on top.

pirateowl76
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Mar 2015, 5:04 pm

Ncovington89 wrote:
Here is a strange update on the situation...

So for the past two days I have been taking a vitamin D capsule and drinking a Caffeine-Free Monster Energy (note that Monster is loaded with B Vitamins as well as Ginseng, among other things). Yesterday nothing happened, and I woke up yesterday morning feeling the same. However, for the rest of the day I was absent of the usual kinds of mood swings I have during the day. Also, *this* morning I have no joint pain whatsoever, and feel a lot better. These two things could be totally unrelated, so I'll have keep on my routine to see. Also, it is unclear whether the vit D or the monster, or some of each, is bringing about the results. Apparently a company called "Now" is selling a product called "True Calm" that contains B vitamins, so that may have something to do with the lack of mood swings.

Ah, I wish the situation were so simple for me. But I've tried the B vitamins and the D vitamins (since they told me I'm deficient), and I feel no different. :cry:

Here's hoping the benefits continue in your situation, though. Since I know how frustrating it is to get one's hopes up. :x *knocks on metaphorical wood*

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 5:22 pm

This is how I am in the morning :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzIS_0iSJWY

Seriously though I feel dead tired when I wake up in the morning. I suspect I may have sleep apnea.

Ncovington89
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Mar 2015, 7:48 pm

Alexanderplatz wrote:
It takes me at least two hours of smoking, coffee and tea every morning to function in other ways.

Interesting that you would say this. For the past week I have mitigated my caffeine intake to almost nothing. However, I am notorious for consuming enormous amounts of caffeine on a daily basis. I think the caffeine consumption was a method of "self-medication." The problem is that this form of self-medication will not let me go to sleep. :x

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 8:05 pm

Only do the coffee on waking - two mugs and very strong, ground coffee or else I buzz out all day drinking instant. Regular Zimovane user, but not heavy (aka Zimmer Frames). Also use herbs that can make me drowsy.

Tobacco has got anti depressants in it - wish someone would isolate these and put them in the juice for my e cigarette.