Fictional Characters With Undiagnosed Aspergers or Autism

Page 46 of 60 [ 949 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 60  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 1:26 pm

I wondered if Oskar in Hey Arnold had it. He doesn't read people well or understand cues and doesn't know sarcasm. He is pretty clumsy because he kept stepping on Suzi's feet when he was dancing with her. He is pretty clueless about people but yet he is portrayed as being a bum and trying to rip people off and being a cheat and someone who is just lazy but someone can have AS and still be a douche. I don't think all his actions are innocent and there are times when he does try and think of others but it often seems like when it's only something he wants, he starts to try all of a sudden and asks Arnold for help. But then he always slips back to his old ways. He could just have social issues and not have AS since other AS symptoms are absent like sensory and special interest and stimming. But I do wonder if he was based on someone and that is just an NT's perspective of an aspie. Not saying someone can't have AS and still be a dick.

Someone at my autism group does't even like Sheldon and thinks he is an ass and doesn't find it funny how they portray him.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

LifUlfur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 1:28 pm

We don't actually know for sure, but it's pretty obvious. Abed from Community and possibly even Jeff Winger, he has bad social skills, he's insecure (I'm just listing his qualities), can't look people in the eyes, makes constant references (just like Abed!), is a control freak and loads more. I'm not saying all of those are ASD / HFA qualities.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 1:33 pm

Rowley and Fregley from ''Diary of a Wimpy Kid''.

pirateowl76
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Mar 2015, 4:30 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Spencer Reid from criminal minds seems like the best candidate I've seen for it. He's not exaggerated like Sheldon nor a douche like house. He's a regular guy who is a bit off. I love him.

Also bobby goren from law and order cos seems it to me too.

One more thing, unrelated. I really hate typing on this kindle.

Those two crossed my mind as well (especially Goren, just look at his obsession with his work and how oblivious he is to his partners' discomfort when he acts oddly, and how surprised he is when they express their frustration with him--he often seems like a little kid), but I wonder if the fact that their mothers had schizophrenia has more to do with their behavior than does autism. :|

ETA, just looked up Reid's character on Wikipedia...it does mention Asperger's. Nothing on Goren's page about it, though.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 5:18 pm

I agree with all of those who said Bobby Goren, Sheldon Cooper, House, and Luna Lovegood! I think it was interesting reading, on the first page of this thread, where someone said that there are little ASD traits in all of the BBT characters----I agree, with this, as well..... I've often thought of Leonard's awkwardness, allergies, and of course, "special interests", as being, sort-of, "Aspie-like".

The only one I haven't seen mentioned is "Doc Martin". He's INCREDIBLY socially awkward / unaware, has special interests (his obsession with medicine, and clocks), doesn't seem to have a filter, when he talks to people----and doesn't understand why what he says, can offend people; and he shows NO emotion (I think the only time he's ever smiled was, maybe, in the first episode).

Because I'm so obsessed with this show, I have to include some dialogue.....

Mother of patient: "Doctor, what's wrong with my little girl?"
Doc Martin: "She's VERY annoying."

Patient: "I think I'm dying, Doc."
Doc Martin: "You'd better be."

Friend of patient: "Doctor, is she gonna die?"
Doc Martin: "Yes----but, not today."

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 6:30 pm

Mashiro Shiina from Sakura-sō no Petto na Kanojo is a pretty obvious example, she's "high functioning", but actually a rather severe case, completely lacking life skills, making her the titular Pet Girl (Petto na Kanojo) as she needs other people to take care of her.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 7:53 pm

pirateowl76 wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
Spencer Reid from criminal minds seems like the best candidate I've seen for it. He's not exaggerated like Sheldon nor a douche like house. He's a regular guy who is a bit off. I love him.

Those two crossed my mind as well (especially Goren, just look at his obsession with his work and how oblivious he is to his partners' discomfort when he acts oddly, and how surprised he is when they express their frustration with him--he often seems like a little kid), but I wonder if the fact that their mothers had schizophrenia has more to do with their behavior than does autism. :|

ETA, just looked up Reid's character on Wikipedia...it does mention Asperger's. Nothing on Goren's page about it, though.

There was one episode of L&O CSI where the killer was an aspie. He didn't know he was but Goren figured it out and they had hit it off in the show and Goren understood him. He went and copied some things and brought them to his house with Ames when they were going to get him flustered and admit the murder. Then after they did that he took out the papers and told him about AS and showed him the symptoms and explained that he probably has it and promised to write him in prison, which when he was shown in a later episode in prison, he wrote to him a lot. Ames said "Are you sure you don't have an older, quirkier brother?" hinting that he was like the killer guy. It was really cool because not only did he bust him for murder, he diagnosed him with AS and he made a friend out of him and continued the friendship, with the guy he put in prison.

I don't know the name of the episode but I'm sure you could find it.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 8:07 pm

Simmons from RVB could be an aspie. Awkward, especially around women, good at math, science and computers and seems almost obsessed with them, some social cues missed, sticks to rules rigidly, latches onto a leader, is insecure, quiet and lacks friends.

pirateowl76
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Mar 2015, 10:38 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
pirateowl76 wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

There was one episode of L&O CSI where the killer was an aspie. He didn't know he was but Goren figured it out and they had hit it off in the show and Goren understood him. He went and copied some things and brought them to his house with Ames when they were going to get him flustered and admit the murder. Then after they did that he took out the papers and told him about AS and showed him the symptoms and explained that he probably has it and promised to write him in prison, which when he was shown in a later episode in prison, he wrote to him a lot. Ames said "Are you sure you don't have an older, quirkier brother?" hinting that he was like the killer guy. It was really cool because not only did he bust him for murder, he diagnosed him with AS and he made a friend out of him and continued the friendship, with the guy he put in prison.

Yes! I remember that episode. Haha, obviously I'm an L&O nut. :lol:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 11:52 pm

pirateowl76 wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
pirateowl76 wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

Yes! I remember that episode. Haha, obviously I'm an L&O nut. :lol:

Was it that Probability episode? I remember people on the spectrum being offended by it because they were concerned people would think we were all killers.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2015, 1:09 am

will@rd wrote:
According to interviews with the producers and writers when BBT first became a hit, Sheldon was intentionally modeled after the son of some staffer's friend who has AS, so Sheldon was kind of pre-diagnosed as he was created...

Are you sure it was that? I read it was former work colleague of Bill Pradey from when he was a programmer.

Also agree I hate that the BBT has not "come out", its like saying Cam and Mitchell from Modern Family aren't gay.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 4:40 am

I forgot to put Steve Urkel on my last post. His catchphrase "Did I do that?" was always bringing attention to his "social faux pas"; plus, he was always taking things literally, he was terribly "bad" with talking to girls----except one, of course; was interested in science; was your stereotypical geek----pocket protector, included.

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 6:22 pm

Lilo?

LifUlfur
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 6:23 pm

The Soldier from Team Fortress 2, because of his inability to read emotions, his literal thinking, his seriousness and other stuff.
Willy Wonka from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - the Tim Burton remake.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 7:55 pm

dianthus wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
If there's one character I think acts a lot like someone with Asperger's, however, is Ariel in The Little Mermaid.

Yes. And the mermaid character in Splash too.

Perhaps that's because the actress who played the mermaid in splash, Daryl Hannah, has aspergers. She went public with it a few years back.

ICollectWatches
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Mar 2015, 7:58 pm

Anya from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.