Page 3 of 8 [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

LifUlfur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 1:13 pm

Well, I just did something really strange :D
My mum was out with a friend at a Homebase and I was playing Team Fortress 2, that's not the weird bit. Out of NOWHERE, I just start referring to myself as "Pootis Man" in a heavy (awful) Russian accent, stuff like:
"POOTIS MAN IS UNHAPPY WITH CURRENT SITUATION, POOTIS MAN IS LEAVING".
:P Pretty strange, no?

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 1:25 pm

dianthus wrote:
Weird as far as like, out in public kind of stuff? I tend to mutter to myself just under my breath a lot. It probably looks fairly normal say in the grocery store when I'm trying to remember what I need to buy and I'm mumbling about that. But probably not so normal if I'm just walking down the sidewalk mumbling to myself. lol

A lot of my talking to myself is just my way of trying to remember stuff, and I can control it. But I also blurt out odd random thoughts very compulsively. I do it in a very soft voice so a person might not hear me unless they are standing right next to me. But sometimes I say really weird stuff and it just flies out of my mouth before I can stop myself from saying it.

What worries me the most is if someone is really getting on my nerves, the minute they walk away I will start muttering things like "b***h" or "idiot." I do my best to control it but sometimes I can't help it.

I can also get so lost in my own world that I'm not really aware of what is going on around me. Not while I'm just walking around, usually only if I'm really absorbed in doing something, like in my job if I'm rearranging a display. It's like I get tunnel vision.

I do a lot of the stuff you mentioned above.

My biggest quirk - I cannot stop bringing books home. If I go into a bookstore I have to buy something. I don't necessarily have to read them (although I have read most of my collection). I just like to collect them. I have gathered so many titles my shelves are sagging under the weight. Holding a good book is relaxing. The smell of old books is also calming. When we travel I always find the town's mom and pop bookstore. I could stay in those places for hours. I'm the same way with vinyl records.

Another quirk is with driving. I get in the slow lane and drive about 10 mph below the posted speed limit. Driving freaks me out. It takes me forever to get most places and I get lost easily.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 2:53 pm

Kiriae wrote:
I touch everything I walk past.

When I hear a plane or see a satelite I look up and staaaaaareeeee... till its gone. :lol:

I will wear the same thing everyday. Not literally, but I wonder if people see any difference between the bunch of similar red sweaters, hoodies and tank-tops and the few pairs of dark jeans I wear repeatably.

Me too. All of the above except I usually only wear black/dark clothing and most importantly, I always dress for comfort. Never fashion.

I don't always do it but I'll drag my hand along surfaces as I walk. I've done this off and on since I was a kid. Corrugated iron is the best. It really makes my fingers vibrate and yes, I state at planes and satellites until they're out of sight which can put people off if they're trying to talk to me. :roll:

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 2:55 pm

Elysian69. May conventions die peacefully and thoroughly! :D

Last edited by Jensen on 20 Mar 2015, 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 2:55 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
LOL...As long as your clothes smell good--who cares?

You said it kraftie :)

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 3:05 pm

That is amazing. I can relate so much to so many of these. We seem to have similar traits to each other. I've also noticed how many of you can also relate to each others stuff.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 3:15 pm

dianthus wrote:
Weird as far as like, out in public kind of stuff? I tend to mutter to myself just under my breath a lot. It probably looks fairly normal say in the grocery store when I'm trying to remember what I need to buy and I'm mumbling about that. But probably not so normal if I'm just walking down the sidewalk mumbling to myself. lol

A lot of my talking to myself is just my way of trying to remember stuff, and I can control it. But I also blurt out odd random thoughts very compulsively. I do it in a very soft voice so a person might not hear me unless they are standing right next to me. But sometimes I say really weird stuff and it just flies out of my mouth before I can stop myself from saying it.

What worries me the most is if someone is really getting on my nerves, the minute they walk away I will start muttering things like "b***h" or "idiot." I do my best to control it but sometimes I can't help it.

I can also get so lost in my own world that I'm not really aware of what is going on around me. Not while I'm just walking around, usually only if I'm really absorbed in doing something, like in my job if I'm rearranging a display. It's like I get tunnel vision.

Also have been told many times that a person tried to speak to me, but for whatever reason I didn't hear them.

Weird stuff I do at home alone is another story. I'm probably not even aware of half the stuff I do.

All those, plus talking to inanimate objects, flipping my keys in a sort of suppressed hand-flap, rocking back and forth on my feet while waiting in a que, swaying from side to side in a lemniscate pattern, hands in pockets, and gods know how many things that I'm not even aware look odd to normal people...

Because my SSI comes in only once a month, I grocery shop for the entire month at once, which means a lot of canned vegetables, and multiple packages of the same things - I try to get a head start on putting things on the conveyor belt, because if I don't, the clerk will end up with a mountain of bagged cans before I can empty my cart and move it to the end of the line. It must look quite autistically strange, because they frequently comment on it. I've been asked if I was buying for a Food Bank, or a Church Cookout, among other awkward and embarrassing queries from talkative clerks who don't seem to comprehend that my personal business is really none of theirs. I must be the only customer they have who does this, but it just seems like the only practical thing to do. If I shopped week-by-week, I'd run out of money and food before the month was over.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 3:19 pm

ImAnAspie: Yes, partly because we are human and partly because AS is a syndrome, - we share enough functional traits to define us as a group.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 3:24 pm

Jensen wrote:
ImAnAspie: Yes, partly because we are human and partly because AS is a syndrome, - we share enough functional traits to define us as a group.

Well said :)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 3:25 pm

will@rd wrote:
...Because my SSI comes in only once a month, I grocery shop for the entire month at once, which means a lot of canned vegetables, and multiple packages of the same things - I try to get a head start on putting things on the conveyor belt, because if I don't, the clerk will end up with a mountain of bagged cans before I can empty my cart and move it to the end of the line. It must look quite autistically strange, because they frequently comment on it. I've been asked if I was buying for a Food Bank, or a Church Cookout, among other awkward and embarrassing queries from talkative clerks who don't seem to comprehend that my personal business is really none of theirs. I must be the only customer they have who does this, but it just seems like the only practical thing to do. If I shopped week-by-week, I'd run out of money and food before the month was over.

I got this once, too! Except, among my monthly purchases, I buy several steaks (to yield one or two a week for a month; I amn't vegan, so sue me, hehe) at Sprouts Market and the cashier asked if I was "planning a BBQ." "Yeah, sure. That's it," I replied. I generally despise grocery shopping especially those markets with hippie customers and sandal-wearing staffers. I really like the products at Sprouts, but their staff can get intrusive.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 4:46 pm

will@rd wrote:
Because my SSI comes in only once a month, I grocery shop for the entire month at once, which means a lot of canned vegetables, and multiple packages of the same things - I try to get a head start on putting things on the conveyor belt, because if I don't, the clerk will end up with a mountain of bagged cans before I can empty my cart and move it to the end of the line. It must look quite autistically strange, because they frequently comment on it. I've been asked if I was buying for a Food Bank, or a Church Cookout, among other awkward and embarrassing queries from talkative clerks who don't seem to comprehend that my personal business is really none of theirs. I must be the only customer they have who does this, but it just seems like the only practical thing to do. If I shopped week-by-week, I'd run out of money and food before the month was over.

Yes, this is annoying. I have different reasons for "once-a-month shopping", but I buy a tremendous amount of food all at once and always get asked if I'm throwing a party or something. Whatever! I don't want to be rude, so I just say that I'm feeding teenagers. Really, I don't want to get into all my reasons for shopping where and when I want. I will share that with SOME people, but not the cashier! The cashier is not a close friend or family member! I need to come up with some witty thing to set a boundary.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 4:48 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
I generally despise grocery shopping especially those markets with hippie customers and sandal-wearing staffers.

Yeah. Around here, the local health food store and Trader Joe's are the worst. Both the employees and customers are way too hippy-dippy for me. I call them yoga creeps.

I'm the opposite of you and Willard because I'm always going in a different grocery store every other day or so to pick up a few things. I'm so picky about food, I can't ever get everything I need in one store. I only buy certain things at certain places. But I stock up on things whenever it makes sense to. So I will have really odd assortments of things in my cart.

When people comment on what I'm buying, it really pisses me off. Sometimes I just tell people outright it's none of their business. I've stopped caring if I offend those people, because they are being rude.

I used to buy canned cat food in stores, and the clerks would always act amazed at how much I was buying and ask how many cats I have. Now I just order it online so I don't have to talk to anyone about it. :roll:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 4:55 pm

I don't know if this is a trait since my dad does it too, but when I start eating a food I really like I go "Umm, mmm". My mom told me she noticed this when we went out on dad's birthday this month. Now I feel weird from doing it.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 4:57 pm

Apparently, I let out a low growl when I am concentrating playing something on the piano, especially when it is intense. It is not anything that would be heard by the audience, but it might be picked up by an overhead mic. I have tried to do it less ever since my husband mentioned it to me.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 5:01 pm

It doesn´t sound like a "trait", but more like you have copied your fathers habit :) I copied my father too.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 5:16 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I don't know if this is a trait since my dad does it too, but when I start eating a food I really like I go "Umm, mmm". My mom told me she noticed this when we went out on dad's birthday this month. Now I feel weird from doing it.

I do that too. I think some of my family members do it too which might be why I never learned to suppress it.

One time many years ago I was out having lunch with some co-workers. I took a bite of food, and let out a sound which could probably be described best as orgasmic. Everyone else at the table just went totally silent and stared at me like I had done something horrible.